Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2010, 10:33 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Sugar Land , Texas
Shower Door Thingy???

Does anyone know the correct technical term for the "Black thingy" that is used to keep the Shower Door closed during transport (and maybe a part number?)?

My '07 Safari 25 FB SE does not have one and i can't tell if it is just missing or was never there. The shower door is held closed by a full length magnet and seems to work well but I'm concerned it may open up sometime during transport.

Thanks, SailAS
SailAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:35 PM   #2
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Sail,

The knob on my 98 requires a hole drilled through the door frame. If yours doesn't have a hole with nothing in it, I'd suspect it was never there. If there is a hole, then you should be able to find a shower door latch either from AS or from your friendly local dealer.

But I do agree with you - I'd be more comfortable with a positive latch than with a magnet, too.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:06 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Sugar Land , Texas
Question Does this look like the Shower latch?

I do have a hole (at least in the outside frame - I'm goning to have to check and see if it goes all the way thru).

The AS Customer Service responded to my e-mail inquiry (pretty fast too) and sent me the enclosed picture. I'm not sure this will work on my '07. The hole that is in the frame is small (the same size as the mounting screw holes that are filled with screws holding the frame together. This "latch" (Part # 703626-100) looks like it requires a much larger hole and must go thru the entire frame. Even then I'm not sure I understand how it works.

Does this look like what is used on your '98?

I'm begining to think they never put one one. I'd like to hear from some of the other late model Safari owners.

I suppose the dealer ought to know but I've not found one that is all knowing (Except Inland Andy on this forum of course!)

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shower Door Latch pn 703626-100.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	93627  
Old 01-05-2010, 08:56 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Forney , Texas
That one looks like the one that is on my '08 Safari. The round "knob" is on the inside of the shower. The threaded part goes all the way through the frame. Sorry, I don't have a picture of the "installed" latch in my unit, but here is one from Colonial Airstream's site. If you enlarge the photo a bit, you can see the installed latch on this shower door.

http://www.colonialairstream.com/air...ages/8743n.jpg

Good luck

Wayne
wayner61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:23 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Sugar Land , Texas
Got it. Thanks.

Also noticed that the light switches in this picture are black. I was unaware that they came in black as mine are all white so that threw me for a minute.

I can see how the latch functions now.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:49 AM   #6
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Glad Wayne had a unit similar to yours - mine is not like that at all.

See you on the road.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:30 PM   #7
Airstream Dad

2008 28' International CCD
Orange County , California
Does anyone know if you could get a metal version of this part? The plastic can tend to bend back and you can get stuck in the shower! I would love a metal part instead of a plastic part.
28IntlCCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbusby View Post
Does anyone know if you could get a metal version of this part? The plastic can tend to bend back and you can get stuck in the shower! I would love a metal part instead of a plastic part.
Maybe it's just me, but I fulltime alone so I never never use the black plastic lock except when traveling. The magnets will hold the door closed when I'm showering and if I should bump it open, well I close it again, and wipe up any spilled water afterwards. Leaving the door unlocked prevents unnecessary wear on the plastic lock.

In the bad event of a slip and fall in the shower I'd sooner have the door pop open and fall on the hall floor than fall through a locked door that might shatter - even if it is safety glass.

I don't plan on falling, but a friend who works at the coronor's office says far more people over 55 die in the bathroom than most people would believe. People think they have indigestion and die of a heart attack sitting on the toilet - or fall in the shower and actually die of constrictive asphyxia and because they get wedged and can't breathe. If it happens to a relative of yours, DON'T try to put the person in pajamas and lay them in bed before calling authorities... the blood pooling tells the truth. The coronor will put cause of death, not PLACE.

Paula
Old 02-12-2010, 01:08 AM   #9
Airstream Dad

2008 28' International CCD
Orange County , California
One word....

kids.

i don't lock it from the inside... my kids do!

and because the plastic catch doesn't hold its shape, it can get stuck and you cannot get it to turn all the way past the point where the door will clear the catch.

so if it were metal, it would hold its shape and the toddler pranks would lose their sting

I totally agree, however, that there is NO REASON for a person to lock themselves in the shower.
28IntlCCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:26 AM   #10
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbusby View Post
...however, that there is NO REASON for a person to lock themselves in the shower.
no reason? perhaps...

but market research clearly indicates this is COMMON!

at least in the a/s world.

so common we've developed a product/safety device JUST for this issue...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ory-39388.html

the newest version includes a 1timeusedisposablewaterproofcellphone AND energy bar...

yep, make the call then munch on the phone till help arrives...

these won't last long and when they'r gone they are GONE!

get your order in before the price hike...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Oakland , California
Stuck in the shower syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28IntlCCD View Post
kids.

i don't lock it from the inside... my kids do!

and because the plastic catch doesn't hold its shape, it can get stuck and you cannot get it to turn all the way past the point where the door will clear the catch.

so if it were metal, it would hold its shape and the toddler pranks would lose their sting

I totally agree, however, that there is NO REASON for a person to lock themselves in the shower.
We own a FC27FB and up until our most recent trip, I thought the shower door issue I had read about had been eliminated. We have the plastic device that you see in the picture a few posts ago.

On our most recent trip, the device stopped "holding its shape" and it was hard to open the door from the outside, and impossible to get out of (interior knob of no use at all), once in the shower (and no, we weren't locking ourselves in). The good news is that we knew the latch was bent, and made sure that we were there to let the other out. We were out for three weeks. The latch sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. We kept up the guard duty.

A metal solution would be a great idea. I too ask if anyone has solved this issue?

Mary D
MaryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:22 PM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryD View Post
We own a FC27FB and up until our most recent trip, I thought the shower door issue I had read about had been eliminated. We have the plastic device that you see in the picture a few posts ago.

On our most recent trip, the device stopped "holding its shape" and it was hard to open the door from the outside, and impossible to get out of (interior knob of no use at all), once in the shower (and no, we weren't locking ourselves in). The good news is that we knew the latch was bent, and made sure that we were there to let the other out. We were out for three weeks. The latch sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. We kept up the guard duty.

A metal solution would be a great idea. I too ask if anyone has solved this issue?

Mary D
I've had limited success using a spring loaded plastic roller wheel to hold the shower door closed. In the interim, you can simply unscrew that latch so you don't break anything by getting trapped.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:10 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Does anyone know where I can get a new shower door magnet strip?? Our new (used) 08' Safari is missing the magnet in the shower door...
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:35 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Does anyone know where I can get a new shower door magnet strip?? Our new (used) 08' Safari is missing the magnet in the shower door...
They sell those strips in a roll at Lowes and HD, but I am not sure if will be the correct width.

BTW - the vertical magnetic strip was always sliding out of the door on ours. I pinched the bottom of the slot on the door slightly with a pair of pliers to stop that.
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:05 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
hmmmm

Our '06 just has a small rotating plastic latch held on by a screw. It looks like a small lever and rotates to the 3 o'clock position, to keep the door from opening. I only use it to keep the door secure while on the road. Otherwise we do not use it, much like Paula wrote above.

My guess is that it is was part number 702415-100 and then replaced by the more complicated part 381403. It could well be that both were discontinued and replaced with the one pictured above because people tried to use them to keep the door closed while using the shower.

The magnetic strip will keep the door shut in-use so long as it is not leaned on. The door, hinge and frame are rather light and probably not designed to take much force leaning on them from the inside. If used that way, maybe it is better if the latch gives way rather than the glass or the door itself?

I love gadgets but some things are just better left simple.
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote