Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Shower cutoff?

De-winterizing ol'betsy (2006 Bambi 19') today and after several attempts, got everything working except the shower. Found out (I think) what the 3 external water inputs are for and have water everywhere its supposed to be except the shower--toilet, all faucets work fine. Any suggestions as to possible problem? Thanks
mocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocus
De-winterizing ol'betsy (2006 Bambi 19') today and after several attempts, got everything working except the shower. Found out (I think) what the 3 external water inputs are for and have water everywhere its supposed to be except the shower--toilet, all faucets work fine. Any suggestions as to possible problem? Thanks
Does it have one of those little twistie parts that shuts the water off just to the shower head?

Maggie
Old 04-20-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Welllllll, I don't know--I didnt see one but will look again. I know it is something simple but I am too. Thanks Maggie.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You are small and so I am suspecting a hand-held shower, like ours is. The shower head has a piece you turn to stop the water flow.

If only the shower is not working, my feeble little non-mechanical brain thinks it has to be something like this.

Maggien
Old 04-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Dog-gone-it, it ain't that. I hate to take the faucet out, but guess I will have to to find out. It is a Moan, so know a little something about em. Ya know, us feeble-minders is what keep the world rotating (and this forum in business answering our questions). If my 3rd grade had been this difficult, I'd still be there. I always said that the happiest 3 years of my life was the 3rd grade........I'll keep trudging on. Thanks
Old 04-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Irvine , California
It could be the cartridge inside the valve. There is a video online that shows how to service the cartridge, I think I found it on the Southwest Coaches website, they have a link to several Airstream "how to" videos.
Johnco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You might call the dealer where you bought it, or Jackson center, and ask to talk with someone In the service department.

That's what I would do.

Maggie
Old 04-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Johnco & Maggie

Will get up on the website now and check it out. I hope your right because I have a drawer full of those cartridges.

Maggie--I got'er secondhand from a family in NC and I'm in Virginia. But you did give me an idea.....I will call the nearest dealer if I don't have any luck on the website. Thanks both'ya
Old 04-20-2012, 08:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocus View Post
I am a little confused by this. I can't think of 3 external water inputs off the top of my head. I have a city water hookup which accepts the hose and then I have a place to pour in the water to fill the on board fresh water tank. So I have 2, not 3, external water inputs.

There are low point drains but if you left them open you would see water running out the bottom of the trailer. Sorry I can't be of more help. Hook up the water hose to the side of the trailer. Open the faucet on the house and see if any water is running out of the bottom of the trailer. Open the faucets, one at a time, in the trailer. If the shower does not respond I would call Airstream. Perhaps the shower head is completely clogged. Take it off and check it out.

Good luck and let us know what you find. I am interested. This sounds like something that would happen to me.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:14 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
On the road side of my trailer there are 3 connections for water input. One toward the front, which is for filling for dry camping and the water pump is needed? then, toward the back there are 2 inlets, both say "water." I believe one is for flushing out your black water and the other is the connection for City Water.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:16 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
I will let you know and thanks for concern and possible assistance.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:38 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
Our first camping trip out this season, we didn't have water coming out of our kitchen sink or bathroom sink faucets. They are each single handle, with a cartridge, and mixer for hot and cold water. Turns out that the filter screens at the end of the faucets were gummed up. Once we took them off the faucet and cleaned them out and put them back on, water came out just fine. Had us stumped for awhile since water came out fine in all the other places it is supposed to. We were afraid we'd have to replace some cartridges -- in these relatively new faucets. Relieved it was such an easy fix. Now cleaning out our filters at the end of the faucets is on our maintenance checklist.

We aren't sure where we picked up all the gummy stuff since we tend to use a filter on our fresh water hose when we hook up.

Nancy Mac
maccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:50 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Mocus,

Thanks for the explanation. You are correct. The "third" input is the black tank washer. Without my trailer right in front of me I couldn't remember that.

I had the same thing happen to me this spring as maccamper mentioned. Everything was working fine at first but a few minutes later I had no water coming out of the bathroom faucet. It was clogged at the screen. Give that a look.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Thank you to everyone. I think I have found the problem (The patron sainte of plumbers must have led me to it---now I wish he would come down here and fix it). The problem is the connection between the faucet and the shower line connector. Inside of the connector there is a small white plastic piece that fits on a small black rubber piece (both about the size of a dime). I believe these two pieces go in the connection first then a black plastic piece with threads on both ends fits in the same threaded connection. The threads on top are where the shower line screws into. I believe that black piece is going to have to be replaced because of the threads. I have juryrigged it, taken the dime size piece out inserted a hose gasket, et al, and nothing will stop the leaking around the base part.

Going to the website now to see if I can find the same setup and see if there is something I am missing. Oh, and I am not going to quit my day job to become a plumber....never would have anyway). Thanks again and will let ya'll know when I get'er fixed.

Just to answer your post "aftermath," I clean all my faucets in the house yearly because of that fact.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:19 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The only place we have had to clean the screen is on the kitchen sink faucet. You know there is a problem when the pressure there is markedly diminished.

There is a screen at the fresh water tank, which also needs cleaned periodically. Unless we are filling with our own hose at home, we always use a filter, but a surprising amount of debris seems to get through.

Maggie