Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2017, 05:45 PM   #21
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
I just gave this a sizable going over. There is a rather large gap between the gasket and the white cover. On the side opposite from the handle, maybe the 16th or more of open space. This is a brand-new toilet in a brand-new trailer.

Is that kind of gap possible to make up I just lubricating the seal? Or is this a larger problem do you think?

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:14 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Windshield washer fluid is not ethylene glycol based. WW fluid contains isopropyl alcohol and maybe some methanol in the cheap stuff. Ethylene glycol would smear
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:18 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post
I just gave this a sizable going over. There is a rather large gap between the gasket and the white cover. On the side opposite from the handle, maybe the 16th or more of open space. This is a brand-new toilet in a brand-new trailer.

Is that kind of gap possible to make up I just lubricating the seal? Or is this a larger problem do you think?
Sounds like the gasket is improperly installed or has pulled out of its groove. Maybe it got stuck on the valve and pulled away
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:47 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:

Does your foot pedal move the gasket to the point of closing (you need to slide your foot off it quickly to engage it in snapping back to close)? That was the problem I had with mine. The valve wouldn't close - at least a half inch of open space. Apparently a plastic part in the pedal mechanism and they said it was not repairable. They sent me a replacement toilet.

I can't say whether that's your issue but if it is, you'll need to replace the toilet - and again, it's an easy job if someone like me can do it...
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:22 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Indianapolis , Indiana
They gave us a new toilet

We had our 2016 Classic for less than 6 months when we noticed a slight crack in the ball (valve seal). And then we started noticing smells. As we were in the middle of camping season we tried to repair the crack ourselves but couldn't and it would not hold water.

After the season we took it back to JC for some warranty work and they simply replaced the toilet.

While at JC we talked to someone and they said AS will often just replace parts and appliances and they recommended going dumpster diving to pick up spare parts! It was kind of funny, but they are serious!
Indianapolis, IN
SusanFleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:14 PM   #26
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
At the risk of exceeding the limits of forum etiquette, here's a photo of my can!

If you look at the left side of the seal, you can see a bit of shadow there... there is actually a GAP between the black seal and the white cap/valve that comes up underneath.

Does this look fixable with lube? Or do y'all think this is a more serious issue.

I would say it IS likely that the bowl did not have antifreeze in it all winter... but I think that's mostly because it was never holding water..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5557.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	283669  

Old 04-18-2017, 10:41 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Try a few ounces of plain old vegetable oil from the pantry. Water off, oil in, work the valve a few times...
+1
If mine sat for a while it drained. I'd put a few tablespoons of cooking oil in and it would again hold water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Or you could use a toothbrush. Tie a string to it so if you drop it in you can retrieve it and not have to buy a new one.
"Honey I've got good news and bad news. The good news is I saved your toothbrush."
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:40 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
+1
If mine sat for a while it drained. I'd put a few tablespoons of cooking oil in and it would again hold water.
. . .
Vegetable oil may have worked to "gum up the works" and let the toilet hold water, but it is not a good long-term solution IMO. There are products intended for this purpose.

See Post #13 here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Definitely recommend not using any vegetable oil for this or most other lubrication projects, depending. It will dry out and leave a gummy residue over time, especially after repeated applications.

Like putting linseed oil on antique furniture.

How about this stuff intended for RV toilet seals?

https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-Toil.../dp/B002NSU0ZW
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:49 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
If you look at the left side of the seal, you can see a bit of shadow there... there is actually a GAP between the black seal and the white cap/valve that comes up underneath.

Does this look fixable with lube? Or do y'all think this is a more serious issue.

I would say it IS likely that the bowl did not have antifreeze in it all winter... but I think that's mostly because it was never holding water..
In my opinion, you are overthinking this. You probably have a defective toilet and it needs to be replaced, in your brand new Airstream.

The absence of AF likely did not cause the problem over just a few months in a new unit. Are you going south soon down the Eastern Shore, as you asked about in that other thread? Make an appt. to have Colonial look at the toilet, and maybe swap in a new one under warranty. You will be going right by them.

Vegetable oil may clog up the leak temporarily, but this "Bandaid" is only a good idea short-term IMO, if you are definitely going to replace the toilet. I would try the Dometic solution linked in recent posts.

BTW is this a porcelain toilet?

Good luck!

Peter

PS -- I posted some CT/LI/NYC/NJ ferry info. for you on that other thread.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:34 AM   #30
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
In my opinion, you are overthinking this. You probably have a defective toilet and it needs to be replaced, in your brand new Airstream.

The absence of AF likely did not cause the problem over just a few months in a new unit. Are you going south soon down the Eastern Shore, as you asked about in that other thread? Make an appt. to have Colonial look at the toilet, and maybe swap in a new one under warranty. You will be going right by them.

Vegetable oil may clog up the leak temporarily, but this "Bandaid" is only a good idea short-term IMO, if you are definitely going to replace the toilet. I would try the Dometic solution linked in recent posts.

BTW is this a porcelain toilet?

Good luck!

Peter

PS -- I posted some CT/LI/NYC/NJ ferry info. for you on that other thread.

Thanks Peter you are probably right. Might try to get them to ship it to me so I can install myself.

Yup porcelain toilet.

Old 05-28-2017, 04:34 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
I recently had the same problem on my 2016 Airstream. Just as thiel's photo shows, there was a slight gap on one side. The seal wasn't centered as it should be.

I cleaned the seal, but that didn't help. Still held water a little while, but in a few hours it would be drained away.

Got some toilet-seal lube ... I dunno, some kind of snake oil, I guess ... did nothing.

I figured I would have to replace the seal. On some new toilets, this is easier than others (at least this is my understanding). On the easy ones, you simply reach in (with gloved hand!) and pluck out the offending part. On the not-so-easy ones, which it appears I have, you have to take off the top of the two-piece toilet to do the job. Bummer.

While fiddling around with the toilet, trying to figure out how to take off the upper half, I noticed I could slide the top half a bit left or right. Hmmm ... maybe I could get a better seal.

So I nudged it. Then nudged it again. Finally got it centered up. Took a few tries, but now ... holds water fine.

So there is hope, thiel, that you can get the seal working as it should without a lot of fuss. I hope this nudge solution works for you.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:07 AM   #32
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereStream View Post
I recently had the same problem on my 2016 Airstream. Just as thiel's photo shows, there was a slight gap on one side. The seal wasn't centered as it should be.

I cleaned the seal, but that didn't help. Still held water a little while, but in a few hours it would be drained away.

Got some toilet-seal lube ... I dunno, some kind of snake oil, I guess ... did nothing.

I figured I would have to replace the seal. On some new toilets, this is easier than others (at least this is my understanding). On the easy ones, you simply reach in (with gloved hand!) and pluck out the offending part. On the not-so-easy ones, which it appears I have, you have to take off the top of the two-piece toilet to do the job. Bummer.

While fiddling around with the toilet, trying to figure out how to take off the upper half, I noticed I could slide the top half a bit left or right. Hmmm ... maybe I could get a better seal.

So I nudged it. Then nudged it again. Finally got it centered up. Took a few tries, but now ... holds water fine.

So there is hope, thiel, that you can get the seal working as it should without a lot of fuss. I hope this nudge solution works for you.
Thanks for the report. I have it scheduled to go into a local RV place tomorrow for a possible Dometic warranty replacement. We'll see what they say.

I'm happy to report that we've been using the trailer despite this issue, and although the stink is clearly present it's not been terrible.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:37 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Quote:
Thanks for the report. I have it scheduled to go into a local RV place tomorrow for a possible Dometic warranty replacement. We'll see what they say.

I'm happy to report that we've been using the trailer despite this issue, and although the stink is clearly present it's not been terrible.
Sewer gases are pretty noxious, you may consider keeping a top vent open or a window cracked for good ventilation until repair is made. Don't run your exhaust fans as it will pull more smell and gas from the tank.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:58 PM   #34

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Correct but be careful with what type of antifreeze. Do not use alcohol based RV Plumbing winterizer as it will dry out the seal; but instead use a -40 or so windshield washer fluid that is Ethylene glycol based.

Funny thing is, yesterday my wife stormed into the house swearing that someone had pee'd in the AS loo. I told her that I had seen a racoon around during the winter. I use a yellow coloured Rain-X washer fluid.

Cheers
Tony
I used to use a no name RV anti-freeze till I found that one spring the rubber bladder that helps pressurize the water flush on my SOB's toilet had turned into a blob of mush. From that time on I have stuck to using Prestone RV anti-freeze. I've never had an issue since. Costs a few bucks more than no name products but the quality is always there.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:04 PM   #35
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973Argosy View Post
Sewer gases are pretty noxious, you may consider keeping a top vent open or a window cracked for good ventilation until repair is made. Don't run your exhaust fans as it will pull more smell and gas from the tank.
Yup... that's exactly what we found.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:41 AM   #36
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I sometimes need to place my foot under the pedal and lift up a little. That has solved it for me.

My main complaint with the porcelain toilet is that there is no lip at the top - so if there is more than just a little when you are traveling, it will slosh out.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:14 PM   #37
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Thanks for the help everyone. Looks like the whole toilet is going to be replaced under warranty.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:13 PM   #38
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Took it to a "regular" RV dealer and they were able to replace it under warranty, no charge at all. Pleased!