Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2015, 04:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
it depends , changes frequently
Sediment blocking water flow?

Hi - The park I am at recently did some major repair to a water line and did not flush out the system afterwards. I am the only trailer/person in the park loop using that water line, so I got lots of air and sediment in the line. Now, water pressure is super low on my kitchen sink faucet and nil at the toilet (nothing at all). Shower and bathroom sink pressure seems to be ok. When I unscrewed the sink faucet aerators, they were loaded with a crumbly, hard white material (calcium?) that had accumulated in one day. I do not have an external inline filter attached, except for the filter integrated into the inlet valve. Because of the calcium in the faucet aerators, I am thinking that the kitchen sink and toilet are blocked with this stuff. If so, how can I clear it up? If not, what else could be the problem? Thanks.
silversnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:48 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversnail View Post
Because of the calcium in the faucet aerators, I am thinking that the kitchen sink and toilet are blocked with this stuff. If so, how can I clear it up?
Remove any screens or aerators to clean them. Then before putting them back in place, flush your fresh water system with white wine vinegar. Vinegar dissolves calcium deposits, and it's non-toxic besides.

Add the vinegar (a full bottle of vinegar to a tank should be enough) to your fresh water tank, then use your pump to distribute the vinegar solution through all of your plumbing, with special attention to your water heater; calcium deposits on the heating elements are a Bad Thing™. Let it sit for about four hours, then flush the vinegar out of the system the same way you flush chlorine when you sanitize.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:17 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1967 28' Ambassador
1964 19' Globetrotter
1960 24' Tradewind
Edgewood , Kentucky
Something that works a little better is a decalcifier. You can usually buy a bottle wherever they sell coffee makers. Just run it through your fresh water holding tank and hopefully you see your problem just dissolve away.

Another household chemical that works great is CLR. This might be better in your case because I think your dealing with lime not calcium. Lime is in hard water and can cause buildup real quick. This product will destroy both line and calcium. You could even soak your fixtures in a cup of it if you don't want to put it in your system (this idea wouldn't help your toilet though). This product is eco-friendly and is coffee maker safe. Rigorously rinsr your system after the treatment.

I guess the morale of the story is to always use a inline filter when hooked up to a water source. Good luck!
Keeping the Art on the road, one project at a time
ArtisanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 07:26 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtisanAir View Post
I think your dealing with lime not calcium.
Lime is a general term for a variety of calcium compounds such as calcium oxide or calcium hydroxide. It's still calcium.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:37 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1967 28' Ambassador
1964 19' Globetrotter
1960 24' Tradewind
Edgewood , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Lime is a general term for a variety of calcium compounds such as calcium oxide or calcium hydroxide. It's still calcium.
Ah I knew it was related to calcium, makes sense why CLR works for either....
Old 12-30-2015, 08:29 PM   #6
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
How about back-flushing the system? Not exactly sure how you can accomplish that in your current situation tho. Disconnect from city water , drain the fresh water tank and use compressed air??

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 10:16 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1967 28' Ambassador
1964 19' Globetrotter
1960 24' Tradewind
Edgewood , Kentucky
That would be tricky because of the check valve in the city water inlet. Because of that, you would not be able to blow out the line from wherever you pressurize it to the inlet. On top of that you would half to back pressure each fixture including the toilet. This can be accomplished if it is of dire necessity. I would consider doing this if it involved a clog of anything other than something that can't be dissolved by household chemicals (ex. Rock sediment, sand, etc.).
Old 12-31-2015, 10:50 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
I'd start with unscrewing the screens at each faucet. The toilet I'm not sure about. Each year I have the same issue when I get ready for spring trips and it has, fortunately, been sediment caught in the faucet screens 100% of the time
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 05:37 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
San Antonio , Texas
Interesting enough, our A/S has a screen filter on the inlet where the campground service point attaches to the trailer. Also, this old trailer has several valves that we must turn when winterizing. You may want to make sure these valves are in the correct positions. And, along the wall by the toilet there is also a valve that cuts the water off to the toilet. Good luck! Happy New Year! jd
delongj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
My Kitchen Tap is a Moen. It would not run hot water this year at more than a trickle. I just kept swinging the tap handle from cold to hot and the accumulation in the cartridge finally worked its way out. Usually the aerator is the thing that plugs, but the clearances in the tap cartridge are also pretty small. I would use the winterizing rig to pump CLR through the piping (but a gallon of vinegar will also work)..be sure to bypass the water heater . That should dissolve or loosen the deposits. If your water heater is badly gunked up then try filling it separately with Vinegar and let it sit for an hour as suggested by Protagonist
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote