Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2010, 10:04 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
Sealing shower stall seams

The shower is in a '79 center bath, has the seat over the wheel well and the small ledge above the seat which covers the heat duct in the wall.

I've had a problem with leaks between the ends of the ledge piece and the sidewalls of the shower stall ever since I've owned the trailer, which is six years.

I've tried numerous latex and silicone caulks, and 3M 5200, but nothing lasts more than maybe six months. The trailer just gets used about one or two weekends a month and in addition maybe two full weeks a year. The problem seems to be when the trailer is moved, flexing of the walls breaks the caulk loose.

Has anyone found a magic sealant that works or perhaps a way to flash those joints to eliminate leaks? I once saw photos where a guy re-lined his entire shower stall and covered that ledge. No doubt it worked but I'm looking for something less labor intensive.

Thanks,
Christopher
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
I know this isn't what you want to hear but I can't think of anything that will seal all that up with the trailer movement. We had the same issue in ours... 1979, center bath and that box above the seat that covers the heat ductwork.

Ours had aluminum trim with insert around all of it also. Everything was siliconed by the PO and you could tell he was fighting the same issue. Sealant on sealant on sealant. The trim had sealant on top and bottom, then the plastic insert was sealed top and bottom. The aluminum trim around the curved walls on all sides has 2 rows of sealant. If the factory did a nice trim job on your shower pan, you may be able to remove the flat aluminum trim pieces around the shower pan and just have one seam to seal instead of around those pieces. This will be less to seal each year.

We did what you said "that guy" did to simplify the amount of seams but we will have the same issue as we travel I am sure. I had no choice. The DW did not want that wallpaper design .

Before photo (can see the box a little):

After without the hall wall installed (can see the 1 piece heated and bent to go around ductwork):

Hopefully smeone will be able to give you a good solution. I'll be watching to see if an idea comes up we can use also to avoid re-sealing.
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
Tadd, I think you are "that guy". Your photos look familiar. Too labor intensive for me to want to get into at this time, however your work looks good and I have no doubt it works.

Christopher
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 05:57 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
2015 30' International
Box Elder , South Dakota
I think I'm having the same issue on a new AS, and want to catch it early. Has anyone following this thread been able to effect a simple repair? I'm thinking of laying saran wrap over the bottom trim for a few showers to rule the problem in or out, though that is not a permanent solution...
lbdesign is offline   Reply With Quote