Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2004, 01:32 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
SeaLand Traveler Universal Mounting Kit

All - Received the SeaLand Traveler Universal Mounting Kit today and it all makes sense now. I will try and post pictures of it tonight along with pictures of the directions on the back of the package. Hopefully this will help anyone that is considering the SeaLand Traveler toilet but is a little concerned about how it retro-fits to the existing Thetford flange. Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 04:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Thanks. Looking forward to your report.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 09:49 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Here is the kit. I'll post pictures of the install when I get to it. Notice the holes in the flange at 11 and 5 positions. That is so you can line the flange up with the standard mounting pattern of the thetfords. You then screw this flange down on top of the thetford with a silicone bead in between and you are ready to go. The larger ring is a spacer that goes around the flange to make up for the added height of the double flanges. Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SeaLand Universal Mounting Kit_package.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	7763   Click image for larger version

Name:	SeaLand Universal Mounting Kit.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	7764  

Old 07-27-2004, 09:45 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Universal Mounting Kit Installed

The universal mounting kit is now installed. Was a little more difficult than I thought it was going to be. The old plastic flange was seriously warped so I had to first purchase a new flange to replace the old flange before installing the universal mounting kit. This kit adds an additional 3/8" to the overall height of the flange which I sorely needed with the new wood floor. The picture below shows the universal mounting kit with the SeaLand Toilet Seal in place.

The toilet is also installed now and it's at least ten times more comfortable than the Thetford was. The seat is actually the same size as a standard household toilet and it fits in the same space. The extra money and additional research was definitely worth it. Joe
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SeaLand Universal Mounting Kit_Installed.jpg
Views:	679
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	8066  
Old 07-27-2004, 09:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingspider
The toilet is also installed now and it's at least ten times more comfortable than the Thetford was.
It's very important that a King be comfortable on his throne!
Looks good Joe...................

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 05:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Ah, the comfort. I see you have pergolated the floor. You can use the large spacer ring to set up a ring toss game, something to do while enthroned.
Good work, and thanks for the details.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:14 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
I see you have pergolated the floor.
What do you mean by "pergolated"?
Old 07-29-2004, 07:24 AM   #8
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingspider
What do you mean by "pergolated"?
Isn't that Pergo, on the floor? i.e. 'pergo-lated'.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:59 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Aha - that one flew right over my head. Actually it is real wood. Red oak to be exact. It floats like pergo but the joints are tongue and groove and they glue together. Joe
Old 10-03-2006, 06:15 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Revisiting the Sealand Universal Mount

The one thing I regret about my PO’s renovations is throwing out the original toilet after installing a cheap plastic model. Now trying to get a Sealand Traveler Lite Lo Profile (model 111) installed, I’ve run into Barkingspider’s problem. To their much deserved credit, the local RV service center asked me for advice before ruining anything. After removing the two-bolt plastic La Toillette, it appears the original flange is in still place. The Sealand base is the four-bolt arrangement, which the original flange could match, except the toilet would sit cockeyed. No one wants to be askew on the loo! So I diligently researched the forum and found maybe three options.
  • Rotate the flange until the bolt alignment is correct. The RV guys tried this, wouldn’t budge and wisely they didn’t force it for fear of breaking the tank neck That’s when I got their phone call. I’m not even certain if the flange screwed into the blackwater on the 1960 models. The RV guys feel it is a solid piece of cast iron.
  • Modify the existing flange with a Dremel tool or such to accept the bolts in the 2, 4, 8, and 10 o’clock positions. Problem is, not much clearance between the riser platform and the flange and does this weaken the flange? Potential for collateral damage and disaster, at least with my luck.
  • The Sealand Universal Mounting Ring Kit, part #310139 in white. Sounds like the easiest solution. Even suggests this in the Traveler installation instructions. Bet the RV guys didn’t read it, ya think? Of course I’ve known many men in my life who never read directions, and they’ve always done just fine.

Name:	Sealand Base.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	26583 Click image for larger version

Name:	Flange.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	26584
Here’s the base of the Sealand and a pic of the existing flange. I’m guessing the riser around the flange is original, looks like its been there for years. I'm going to tell them what part to order in the morning. For those who've done this, do I also need the Sealand Floor Flange Sponge Seal, Part # 314549, or is this included with the toilet. I didn’t get to see what all was in the box. And is there anything I’m overlooking or that I should tell the RV guys? For those who need to do this in the future, the mounting kit and other parts can be found at http://www.sealandsanitation.com/traveler_parts.htm.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:33 PM   #11
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Good pics. We opted to rotate ours and it worked just fine - but you make a good point - what do you do if it breaks...?

By the way - 3 years later and we love our Sealand (in an appropriate way of course ). I am a huge fan and can thank Charlie Burke for heading us in that direction. When we started looking for a replacement potty - we couldn't find any that would fit the space. Although he had retired from the Airstream Biz, he took the time to help.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:07 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
Janet, I'm glad to hear your are still pleased with your Sealand. Silly, but of all the things I could do with this trailer, getting rid of the cheap plastic throne came to the very top of the list. I would like to try gently rotating my flange, but in my case I'm afraid it would involve accessing the blackwater tank from below and soaking the threads in sliicone spray, WD40, or whatever else to coax it loose. Time is money at these RV service centers, plus I don't want to jepardize my new relationship with the only place in town that truely welcomed a vintage Airstream. I may need them again.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:43 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
hello Sugarfoot , my 60 has the thread on flange ,Ive refurbished all of the
floor / step up box ,we had an aqua magic galaxie in gold that went right in the trash .I believe the best and wisest solution is the sealand adapter .The more the RV guys have to modify the more it will cost . The seal should be in the box with the new toilet.

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:02 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
Thanks for the info, Scott. I'll tell them to order only the Universal Mounting Rings kit and we'll go from there. Oooooooo, a GOLD Aqua Magic in your lovely 1960 TW . . . bet that set your teeth on edge! Think there's a mound of discarded plastic RV toilets somewhere with a sanitation worker looking up from the bottom scratching his chin in wonder?
Old 10-05-2006, 08:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Well I will tell you Sugarfoot that that aqua magic surely wasn't going to be
in any plan of mine ,I did contemplate an original airstream toilet ,then came to my senses and got the sealand unit .On a personal level ,just seems right
to have a new commode in place .

Scott
Old 10-05-2006, 09:33 PM   #16
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot
...... Think there's a mound of discarded plastic RV toilets somewhere with a sanitation worker looking up from the bottom scratching his chin in wonder?
Actually, they often appear on ebay as "original, desirable, collectable..." go figure! There was nothing desirable about the 2 yellowed, scratched, vaguely unclean, PLASTIC Thetfords we pulled out of our Argosys.... trust me on this one - they were flimsy and really grotty! There aren't enough paper "fanny gaskets" or bottles of merlot on the planet to make them look "desirable"

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Janet ,you are soooo right on there.

Scott
Old 10-17-2006, 07:36 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
I second that!
Old 10-18-2006, 07:05 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
Thetford C**p Basket

For the life of me, I don't know why Airstream keeps installing those absolutely horrible toilets in their products.

I recently pulled out the Bravura in my 2001 AS. The thing never worked well, the butterfly valve never closed easily and it made noise when in use. When used in the middle of the night, guests and neighbors were awakened. When I took it out, pieces fell out of it. I was going to try to sell it on Ebay, now, to the dump with it.

I installed an off white Sealand Traveler. What great throne. Quiet and easy to use.

It's kind of strange praising a toilet on the internet. But c**p is just c**p.

Mark
Old 11-05-2006, 09:42 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
Before and after

In follow-up, with the mounting kit the Sealand went in without a hitch. It's steady, no wobble, feels just like home. The flimsy plastic seat that came with it was replaced by a real seat. Finally, with the low profile we don't need a step-ladder to use the toilet.

Name:	Toilet before.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	28158 Click image for larger version

Name:	Toilet after.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	28159