Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2006, 08:24 AM   #1
Addicted to Road Trips!

1953 21' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
1949 18' Trailwind
Broomfield , Colorado
Sealand Toilet Problem!

Hooked up the water to the 54 Flying Cloud last weekend and discovered that I should have taken the fresh water inlet valve off the Sealand after winterizing! Sprung a leak as soon as the water was on. When I called to order a new part the guy told me he sells hundreds of them every spring! Seems that the only sure way to protect it is to remove it.

Anyway, the assembly is on the WALL side of the toilet so very difficult to get to. The part itself is simple to install but I've got to access it first. I tried to wrap myself around the toilet with a mirror but it's too tight to the wall. I think I will have to remove the toilet, which I've never done. Hence my question.

I need advise as to how to remove the toilet and what to prepare for in doing so. What to expect???

Thanks for any help!

Patti
Pearl54FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Remove it.

Hi Patty, My 67 has the valve on the wall side too. I've tried two ways. I've pulled just the bowl. It's held on by a big clamp and a split ring. Thats too big of a hassle because a water hose is still attached and you still deal limited space. I found it easiest just to pull the whole toilet. Remove the water line and four bolts and it should lift right out. Take care not to damage to foam rubber gasket at the base. Good Luck

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:43 AM   #3
Addicted to Road Trips!

1953 21' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
1949 18' Trailwind
Broomfield , Colorado
Remove It

I REALLY appreciate your reply! Now, let me get it straight. First disconnect the water line then take the bolts off that hold the toilet to the floor and lift up. That leaves the seal still on the floor? What kind of sealant should I use to re-seal the toilet back to the floor? I will have to do it every winter to avoid having to replace a $45 part every spring!

Thank You!

Patti
Pearl54FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
First disconnect the water line then take the bolts off that hold the toilet to the floor and lift up. Yes.

That leaves the seal still on the floor? Or on the bottom of the base.

What kind of sealant should I use to re-seal the toilet back to the floor? The seal is like a gasket made of a spongy material. Go to this link http://www.marksrv.com/sealandparts.htm it's part number 14. Reuse the seal if possible or get a new one at your local RV place.

I will have to do it every winter to avoid having to replace a $45 part every spring! If you can keep it from freezing you won't need to replace. RV anti-freeze or heat will do the trick.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote