Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2004, 10:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

sealand lite problems

friends-

just installed a new sealand lite throne in my 72 27' overlander. bent a new 3/8" tube to hook up the h2o. everything was great until i flushed it maybe the tenth time and the ball valve stopped opening when the pedal was pushed.

uninstalled the toilet and disassembeld the pedal, water valve, flush mechanism and found that the plastic cam mechanism that operates the flush valve is very borderline. doesn't look like meantime between failure is a large value.

anyone else had issues with this unit. i'm taking it back to the vendor for "warranty service" but i'm wondering if i should keep it?

emanon
emanon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 05:50 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanon25
friends-

just installed a new sealand lite throne in my 72 27' overlander. bent a new 3/8" tube to hook up the h2o. everything was great until i flushed it maybe the tenth time and the ball valve stopped opening when the pedal was pushed.

uninstalled the toilet and disassembeld the pedal, water valve, flush mechanism and found that the plastic cam mechanism that operates the flush valve is very borderline. doesn't look like meantime between failure is a large value.

anyone else had issues with this unit. i'm taking it back to the vendor for "warranty service" but i'm wondering if i should keep it?

emanon
Installed the same unit in mine. We've had no problems at all. We've been fulltiming for over a year and it's seen considerable use. Maybe you just got a bad one?
Old 08-29-2004, 07:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
how is the seating?.....commodious?? (residential, as the ad sez)...
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 08:02 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinolio
Installed the same unit in mine. We've had no problems at all. We've been fulltiming for over a year and it's seen considerable use. Maybe you just got a bad one?
it's odd, there's a small plastic dog that engages the pedal hub when you press down, opening the flush ball valve. when the pedal is raised, the same plastic dog is designed to slip and thus only operate the water valve. it doesn't look very robust.

emanon
Old 08-29-2004, 08:06 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbert
norby
norbert-

no chance to use the throne for any of it's various purposes yet.

emanon
Old 08-29-2004, 09:40 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbert
norby
It is in fact umm, commodious, and ceramic is certainly better than the stock plastic.

Quote:
it's odd, there's a small plastic dog that engages the pedal hub when you press down, opening the flush ball valve. when the pedal is raised, the same plastic dog is designed to slip and thus only operate the water valve. it doesn't look very robust.

emanon
Never had occasion to open mine up, I just installed it, and it worked.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:20 PM   #7
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Same here, never had a problem. It's been fine for over a year, and is indeed very comfortable. Love the porcelain for cleaning. Nothing sticks to it.....
Old 08-30-2004, 10:27 AM   #8
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Ours has also been hassle free.... we did make one slight change to the original, we bought a new seat. The one that came from the factory was thin plastic and felt sort of well... um.... bendy, when perched upon. It takes a standard seat and the fittings are the same - big improvement.

Note: new seat weighs 1 lb more than old seat - do we need a bigger tow vehicle???

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 10:34 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
..Note: new seat weighs 1 lb more than old seat - do we need a bigger tow vehicle???
Well, after reading the smashed Airstream thread, you may want to readdress the size of your weight distribution bars - You now have one pound less tongue weight
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 10:47 AM   #10
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
Note: new seat weighs 1 lb more than old seat - do we need a bigger tow vehicle???
Not a new tow vehicle, but definitely an upgraded axle
Old 08-30-2004, 01:37 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
Talking pictures ??

I think this thread needs pictures. Anyone??
Old 08-30-2004, 02:09 PM   #12
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjoandall
I think this thread needs pictures. Anyone??
well - ok - remember, you did ask.........
Attached Images

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 12:43 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
friends-

emanon
friends-

thanks for all the help. i was puzzled why my new sealand lite failed before i had a chance to sit stand or hug. this morning i returned it to allied trailer in san leandro, ca. we discoverded that the ratchet mechanism that operates the trap door when the pedal is pressed down but nor when lifted, was totally different from previous models. it actually cracked the cam on the pedal. they replaced my toilet with another with the correct mechanism.

if you are purchacing a seland lite, look at the valve actuater, inside the pedal. if all you see is white plastic, walk away. the ratchet dog should be black.

emanon