Old 04-29-2002, 10:08 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Resurfacing the shower, sink surround

65 Globetrotter...

Has anyone doing a vintage restoration done or had the 1 piece fibreglass sink, shower, toilet surround resurfaced?

Mine has no holes, just some very small hairline cracks and rust stains. The rust stain was caused by someone leaving a wire hanger laying in the bottom of the shower pan. It just needs some brightening up.

You can see it here.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...s=&postid=1012

I am interested in suggestions.

ThanX
-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 10:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Research continues....

Well, I have been researching products and found this one from Homax. Anybody heard of it or tried it.

Tough As TileTM Sink, Tub & Tile Finish

Homax

My next stop will be a big Marine store to see if they have any ideas. They have been a great souce of epoxy's and hard to find stainless hardware.

-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
Old 04-30-2002, 11:03 PM   #3
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
You may want to take a look at Zap Restorer
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 11:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
ZAP..

I have used ZAP on my showers in my house. Our house was owned by a nurse who used PineOPine on everything. It turns the grout yellow over time. The Zap cleaned it right up. It works GREAT on heavy mineral deposits and soap scum. Has acid in it. My surround in my Globetrotter has fewer stains left on it now. When I got home last night, MarilynW had scrubbed and cleaned it spotless. What a wife. Wait 'til you see the pictures of her spray painting the frame under the bath. She's a keeper.

I am just looking to spruce up the finish now. I purchased a kit from Bondo that will fill in and repair the little hairline cracks that have developed in the corners and bends from 35 years of flexing. Just looking for something to freshen the surface now.

-BobbyW

Old 04-30-2002, 11:30 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Bath fibreglass refinish

Your picture looks like the back of the unit. You have many options. The unit is made from fibreglas and can be painted like a Corvette. You can have the gel coat [outer hard surface] recoated. You may try re gel coating small area with a repair lit from Home Depot. Or there are many repair refinishing companies in the yellow pages. Any good body shop can offer some suggestions. Hey, blue would be kool........Frank
Old 04-30-2002, 11:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
ThanX for the reply FrankR. The pictures posted in this thread are not mine. They are from Andy from the ZAP website. If that was mine I think I would be in a world of hurt.

I just went and looked at mine and I think it is really going to be easy as I still have it sitting on the garage floor. MarilynW really did a good job of cleaning it up. The only stains are the ones from the rusty coat hanger and she says not to give up as she has not brought out the heavy artillery yet. So far she just soap and water scrubbed it and scrubbed it and scrubbed it.....

I finally feel like I am making some progress on the bath now that the floor is in and I cut the penetration holes for the drain line, shower drain and black water tank. Picked up the fittings to re-connect the drain header and vent stack tonight. Photos are coming!! Really is good, self rewarding work.

ThanX
-BobbyWright

Old 05-01-2002, 12:25 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Cleaning and polishing Fibreglas

Fibreglas is nicely cleaned with power slow speed buffer. There are many grits of rubbing compound to choose from for the really nice sheen. A nice surface is easy to maintain also. You might also try a small area by hand. Dupont makes a semi liquid buffing/polishing compound.
And I thot that was your parts......
Frank
Old 05-01-2002, 07:39 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

I have used Tube n Tile and have a great suggestion... Make sure you thoroughly understand the directions before you start. ie... temp and timing. I made a big, huge mistake on my tub... I still have yet to redo it. I had took too much time on the sink and by the time I started the tub... the mixture wasn't right anylonger. You can't notice at first, but by the time you do.. its too late. And boy is it hard to remove... But on the other side of the coin... it works great. My sink and counter looks awesome... better than what it was before. Discolored and all from only God knows what.
Anyway... Good-Luck and God Bless on that endeavor..
wife & 2 boys
tenrsingr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 09:23 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Time and Temp

tenrsingr;

Did you use the Brush-on or Spray-on product?

I had not even thought about the stuff setting up before you could complete it. I think I will give Homax a call and talk to a Tech.

I believe I will try the compound polishing and waxing after I patch the hairline cracks. Might be all I need to do. The surround is just such a big item in the trailer that its the first thing you scrutinize when looking around inside. I just want it to stand out.

-ThanX for the heads up.

-BobbyW

Old 05-01-2002, 09:34 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Bobby,
Mine was the 'brush-on' type. I look back in retrospect and wish I had contacted a tech rep for that product. I will use it to redo what I messed up though. I feel still that it is a great product. Just wish I had paid better attention...

No problem with the heads up.. Better to be informed, and I guess thats why we are here.

Y/W
Steve
wife & 2 boys
tenrsingr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 08:45 PM   #11

I found a good way to clean nasty stains in the fiberglass tub area, is to lay strips of paper towel on the surface to be cleaned. Then pour bleach on the towels, and keep this wet with bleach for several hours. This will slowly remove the stains.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:20 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
We used the tile doc/ or tough as tile 2-part epoxy and it worked great! My husband used his HVLP sprayer and we resurfaced everything in the bathroom.. including the toilet! We ended up needing two boxes of it and there were imperfections, bugs, dog hair, tiny bubbles here and there, but it is a far cry from the nasty condition we found it in!