Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2003, 06:07 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Question resurfacing bathtub and counter top

I'm restoring a 1972 31' International. The bathroom is located in the very back. Over the years the plastic tub, sink and counter tops have faded to a ugly yellow. I have thought of buying a high quality paint and sealing it with polyurethane. Has anyone done this or have any suggestions ?

Thank you,

David Laxson
San Antonio, Tx
davidlaxson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 06:18 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Bathroom

David,

We haven't done this but would sure like to hear of your end results. We have a 69 Overlander and have the same problem. Have thought of doing the same thing, but just can't bring ourselves to try it. (Cowards)

I think it would be okay to do the sink, but the tub really scares me!

Lots of luck and let us hear from you.

Gloria & Don
WBCFI 7287
Lee Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 10:00 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

I have the same issue in my '67. The surfaces can be refinished by a special fiberglass refinishing process. I got a price of $300 for my small wet bath. The "painting" sounds very scary. I think the "painting" Might very well look worse than the faded fiberglass. Overlander64 has photos of his bathroom restoration on the site. I have not done it yet because of the expense and other priorities on the trailer.

Heidi
hhuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 10:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Since the material is the same color all the way through I took "very fine" sand paper and sanded the whole thing. Waxed when finished and it looks brand new all for a days work and $8.

You might want to try a small out of the way spot first to make sure you will be happy with the results. 1200 grit paper if it's not to bad, if real bad 600 then 1200

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 11:02 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Gary-
I'll definately try that. What kind of wax did you use?

Heidi
hhuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 02:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Fiberglass wax.. I used Star Bright Fiberglass wax same as I use on my boat. I got mine from a marine dealer but I think I saw some in Wal Mart. Any fiberglass wax will probably work but I found Star Bright works better on my boat than any other brand.

Garry
Old 09-19-2003, 09:24 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Sounds like there may be many of us in need of a solution for this problem. I'll be watching for updates and any additional remedies to be offered.

suz
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 09:44 PM   #8
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Garry. How often would you have to reapply the wax?
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 03:59 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

gelcoat

If these fiberglass units have a gelcoat it will not be too thick...if it is some type of plastic, which mine seems to be, it probably will be colored all the way thru....go carefully or look at the back if not painted, or maybe even take out an easy to remove drain or fixture and you can see the depth of the color. Of course this is so you don't go thru the color.

With these precautions reviving a brighter color and shine should not take much tech. knowledge....waxing would be as needed and since sunlight is the big cause of fading, not too much or freq. waxing would be needed.

Note: The waxed surface will be slippery and appropriate care needs to be taken to avoid a fall, but it will stay cleaner also.
zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 06:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Never have rewaxed. Waxing brought back the orignal luster. Ours was not only faded but had some kind of stains that wouldn't come out, Once I sanded the stains I realized how faded the whole unit was so I kept on going. This is for the rear bath. I don't know about the others.

Garry
Old 09-22-2003, 03:39 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
I have removed and refinished all my bath plastic and fiberglass...if you want a copy of the steps I took in detail, please email me...I have it written down and the bath can be seen at
the bottom of this page
http://flummoxed.org/lexxey/dew1.htm
The look is an ivory and not stark white so it blends with the yellow of the walls and matches the new Sealand toilet very well.

Lexxy@comcast.net
Old 09-22-2003, 04:12 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I was about to tell you that I have seen a few refinishing jobs done with a 2 step paint process when I saw Lexxy's post...there are a few products that do a great job on the fiberglass and make it look like new. I used car polish/mild scratch remover to shine mine up, and resealed it with the polymer car sealant, it looks pretty good although the yellow color is not my favorite.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 10:05 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
I had holes and cracks in my fiberglass that I had to repair so I just did the whole thing. I know it will have nicks but that's what touchup paint is for and I'm just glad it's not "urine" yellow anymore!!!

The pix ablove are not even after cleaning the dust off...this thing is still a construction site....I'm, building closet shelves right now...taking a break.

I still have to make the cabinet doors for the plastic bath unit and I may use an old closet door for weight and paint it the same paint. the old closet doors are cardboard inside cuz they didn't have foam yet, I guess.

I did make a light panel door for the exterior real utility hatch with a foamcore center for weight control.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:50 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
ABS vs. Fiberglass

For those who may not be aware: some of the bathrooms are made with fiberglass, while others are made with ABS plastic.

I don't know if refinishing would be different for one vs. the other.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:30 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
usually the same paint works from all the research I did. The secret is to get the surface really clean and use several coats of primer...this is what makes the paint take and hold up.