Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
replacing tub and sink in order

I am preparing to reassemble my 65 Ambassador interior.Is it possible to install the shower tub and sink last or must everything be reassembled in order?Perhaps I could reinstall the street side interior,then the bath and move forward.I have not rehabed the fiberlass yet,but I want to continue working.
bwaysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:54 AM   #2
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Steve,
I'm not near reassembly yet, but when I took Abby apart I started with the rear and went forward. First the toilet then the tub/shower, vanity, the two closets then the twin bunks. They all fit out the door, so I guess it is possible to reinstall the tub and shower last. I originally didn't plan to remove the twin bunks so that's why I started from the rear and moved forward. I have read that AS assembles the interiors from the rear forward so I guess I kinda did it backwards. What are you using to rehab the tub/shower?

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
I'm also interested in what you are using to rehab the tub/shower/sink as I will doing the same soon. Looked at some kits for this purpose and they were real pricey. Could almost buy new ..... I want to do the end cap to match.
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
When you reinstall the tub you will need a lot of "wiggle room". I would suggest you put it in first and then work your way forward with the walls and cabinets. Toilet can go in last as it is no big deal assuming you have the flange mounted on the floor. One suggestion is that you need to think through water connections before you fasten stuff down. It is no fun having to take something out that you spent a couple of hours installing because you can't get a wrench on a fitting, how do I know this?

Hoot, I used two part tub and tile epoxy paint that I got from Sherwin Williams (XIM Tile Doc). It says you can brush it but I had bad results with that on a hidden part of the sink. I used the Preval spray kit (basically you make your own rattle can, get it at NAPA). I did not have a good paint gun and this was good work around. You will have to thin the mixture just a little but the instruction are very clear on what solvents to use. Word of caution, buy and use a high quality respirator with carbon filters for VOC's, The epoxy paint fumes are wicked. If you do have a run or make a mistake you can let it dry a few days and wet sand the run and then apply another light coat. I was very happy with the results.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
I agree with needing much wiggle room to work, based on how difficult it was to get the sink/tub combination out. This is the tub/sink/toilet combination unit that is in our '64 and '65 models ('66 as well). I plan to put them back in first, although I need to think through whether the street-side closet needs to go back in first. The "kick plate" around the tub and toilet can wait, and allow the room you will need to work on the sewer and water lines.

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
https://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
I second "68 TWind". We used TileDoc as well on ours and happy with the results. You need to spray this stuff. It will dry up a brush in very short order. We sprayed outside so fumes weren't bad but the bugs seem to love it so our finish was a little more "natural" than we wanted.
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
I have decided to install the street side complete as it will allow me to put the back cabinet in 1st and do all my wiring hookup.This should still give me room to do the shower sink next since I still need to repair the fiberglass and don't want to stop working.
bwaysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:09 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
denver , Colorado
I hired a professional bathroom re-finisher to re-paint it in place. It was $600 but well worth it. He spent a day prepping and a half day spraying it. I think he used a low pressure, high volume sprayer. Three coats for good coverage.

More photos on my blog below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02240.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	122396   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02292.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	122397  

star kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by star kitty View Post
I hired a professional bathroom re-finisher to re-paint it in place. It was $600 but well worth it. He spent a day prepping and a half day spraying it. I think he used a low pressure, high volume sprayer. Three coats for good coverage.

More photos on my blog below.
Whoa! That turned out nice!
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote