Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Replacing Toilet in a '64 Globetrotter

OK- after our first rally it has become clear that a few things should be changed in the name of comfort. The original toilet looks fine and seems to work, sort of, but needs to be flushed by sticking a wrench or something through the slot and pushing on the broken lever. The water valve leaks too, and post rally, we've crossed into the realm of "lets make it comfortable and not deal with semi-functional systems". SO, any thoughts on a toilet preference, or suggestions of how the replace the thing without removing the whole shower/sink/toilet shroud. I can gain access to the toilet space while working on the hot water heater and surrounding cabinetry... I've installed numerous toilets in homes, but these are, um, different. No wax ring?

thanks

Peter
Old 04-11-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Benicia , California
Hey Peter,

This mornings endless rain must have inspired you to get the indoor plumbing working! I think the bench-surround thing around the toilet that Airstream used in those years makes it tricky. Try searching in the toilet/plumbing section of the forums. Someone must have done have the same problem before.

My old (and new) toilet didn't have a wax ring either...

good luck,

Stan
Stan Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Hey! yeah, a someone has offered a lot of help offline and I think it should be doable. The one we have functioned somewhat over the weekend, figuring out the black tank... the one thing I've managed NOT to fiddle with over the last 8 years.

I read that the RVs don't have wax rings because they fail from too much vibration.

What brand of toilet did you buy?
Old 04-11-2010, 08:25 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Benicia , California
I replaced the original toilet with a Sealand Traveler Lite. Caravels didn't have that cool surround like the bigger trailers. I got lucky as it fit perfectly and was easy to install.

Like most stuff, I bought it from Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies!
Stan Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Cool. I was looking at the exact same thing, from VTS. I found some other stuff, your forced air system got me kind of inspired, and we need a hot water heater. The shroud is kind of cool looking but sort of a pain, changing the faucets and stuff was a pain.

Are you going to the Jackson Rancheria?