Old 08-18-2006, 10:32 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Carbondale , Colorado
Replacement flange???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingergirl
We had to remove the cast iron flange because the toilet mount holes were not aligned properly. The flange would not budge. We tried using a heat gun that was suggested by an rv tech, but that wouldn't work either. Soooooo, Mark got out his grinder and hack saw and went to work. He grinded off all that he could asnot to ruin the plastic threads. Then when we got to the inside part of the flange he used a hack saw and cut in 3 or 4 sections very carefully as not to go to deep. Then used visegrips to clamp on a section and started to wiggle it. He did have to make a cut about an 1/8" from another cut and tap that small piece out with a screwdriver so there was room for the bigger piece to come out. He worked from the outside and I helped from the inside because I could see with a light how deep the cuts were. It was a little time consuming, but well worth it. Then we replaced the flange, added the 2-1/2" Thetford riser, then the toilet. When we had everything together he said it looked "sweet". I will take some pictures because he has to remove toilet again so a friend can sweat in a copper line that came loose. As soon as that is going to happen (hopefully in the next week) I'll put in some pictures. If there is anything else we can help with, we'll do the best we can to answer.
We used your idea of cutting the 1/8" piece out and tapping it out with a screwdriver...worked like a charm! Then I simply unscrewed the hole rest of the flange. It came right out!!! Once I've ruined that part, where do I find a replacement for that flange???

We still have lots to do before replacing the toilet, but once we can start putting things back, I want to be prepared. We have a 68 Overlander.

Old 08-27-2006, 11:24 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

Just thought I would update our results with our repaired black tank and gate valves. (see earlier posts in this thread, or visit my photo gallery)

Have now taken the rig out three times with the new/repaired system and have had great luck. For a nominal cost and a bit of elbow grease we have thus far been able to salvage our original toilet system which would have otherwise have been a $650+ replacement. We have plenty of other places to spend that money elsewhere in the trailer!!

"Mod-Pod" - '77 Argosy Minuet 6.0
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:51 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
Cool! We just got home tonite form a four night stay at Sleeping Bear dunes wiith ours. It's great to be able to take it on the road with the sytems working (mostly). Our problem this time was the bowl wouldn't hold water. If anyone has a good idea (and we tried the "Lift up the foot pedal" trick), lemme know. Good work on repairing rather than replacing your toilet! I'm going to be studying your pictures very closely.

Next question I have is, how much of your floor in the bathroom did your repair, where and how? I have some that needs it and like to hear about everyone's work.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:08 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member

Hi John,
I can't believe you just got back from Sleeping Bear Dunes - we were staying just south of there in Manistee last week because we couldn't find an open space at a reasonable price in Leelanau County!!! We probably passed each other on the beach. My family has been vacationing in Empire for over 30 years, and we just last year sold our property up there which you may know as it was the 100+ year old school house on the corner of M-22 and M-72 right in Empire across from the Dunes ranger headquarters. Hope you had a great time - we got drenched on pack-up Saturday hooking up the trailer and had a soggy ride back to Indiana. What a small world! Do you guys go to the Bluebird for the world's best whitefish sandwhich?? Where did you stay?? How was it?

Anyway, back to the repairs. Yes we did repair some flooring, you may be able to see that in the photos or I might need to upload more. Ours was pretty rough just at the very back street side, presumably due to an old water heater leak. We opted to mount two pieces of sturdy 5/8" plywood cut to fit over the old soft wood and spanning across to the better flooring and secured with screws. This was easy enough as we had the toilet out. It seems to be fine for now, since there is enough solid floor left to hold things in place and the patch gives good re-inforcement. If you don't have a huge amount of rot this may work for you.

As for your bowl not holding water, you need to pick up one of those gasket repair kits for the stainless T-1169 valves and replace the inner gasket, or possibly the whole valve. (assuming you have the same toilet, I can't remember) But I would start with the gasket. They have a ton of the kits at Colaw's in MO and may have some replacement valves there too. Of course the only way to access that is to remove the toilet and take the valve apart, so in lieu of that did you try spraying inside the valve mechanism with silicone lubricant? The gasket is probably old and dry and that may help if you can get in there with a flashlight and see if you can access it. Feel free to PM me with any requests for photos or questions.

Next time you go to Leelanau County let me know!! We usually go two or three times a year.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:30 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
Not to get too far off topic but here goes:

We stayed at the DH Day campground. Went to kayak the whole time and the rustic campground, on the water, for $12 a night hit the spot. My other recommendation is that if you go up to stay at or in the area, look to State Forest Campgrounds. They are completely rustic, with only vault toilets and a hand pumped water well, but some of them are in the BEST spots, out of the way and hardly ever full, and again, $12 a night. There's one on Garey Lake, just 7 miles outside of Empire, and another on the Platte river outside of Honor. My buddies and I tented it at Garey lake earlier this month and it was nice.

Visit my Camping Blog!
Old 08-29-2006, 01:36 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

Ahh, I see - you were tenting. DH Day is nice, but alas no trailers. We were in the Airstream. Platte is a GREAT campground, but very very full in summer as in lines waiting to get in. Thanks for the update! I do prefer rustic sites but since we spent all that time repairing the A/S this spring, I am insisting on using her more!!

Let us know how your leaky bowl problem works out :-)
Old 08-29-2006, 06:52 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
Oh, no, we had the Safari. There were plenty of 30' fifth wheeler's in there too. Not every site is appropriate for even a 22' like us, but they have a lot that will take them. I just made sure we had a full battery and a full water tank. I brought the blue boy and a couple of 7 gallon jerry cans for fresh water. Only had to add water to the tanks once and the battery held up for four nights and five days of using the fantastic vent, the water pump and the lights. And we had plenty of juice left. The DH Day is perfect if you are willing to boondock, hey we even had hot showers, and flush toilets.

Just no AC and we didn't even need it.

Visit my Camping Blog!
Old 08-29-2006, 07:51 PM   #50
3 Rivet Member

Hey, thanks for the tip! I thought they didn't allow trailers up there! Good to know :-)