Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2018, 08:58 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
1964 17' Bambi II
Ogden , Utah
Replacing the bathroom sink

We have a 2017 25' FC, we're interested in replacing the 13" self rimming sink in the bathroom of our trailer. We are not happy with the stainless steel sink. Has anyone replaced their sink & where did you purchase your new sink? Thanks for your help.
mcaslaon4449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:55 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Byron Center , Michigan
It's just like replacing a sink at home, and you can get sinks at most any big-box or bathroom specialty store.
YippieKiYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
I’ve done this in my last two airstreams. I got the sinks online because my interests were more specific than what I could find locally. When replacing the sink, I made other adjustments like making the counter larger, shifting the faucet (and replacing that too) and modifying the plumbing to get more usable space in the base cabinet. These were offseason modifications

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 12:30 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
North Augusta , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishByFly View Post
I’ve done this in my last two airstreams. I got the sinks online because my interests were more specific than what I could find locally. When replacing the sink, I made other adjustments like making the counter larger, shifting the faucet (and replacing that too) and modifying the plumbing to get more usable space in the base cabinet. These were offseason modifications

When you chose your replacement sinks were you concerned at all about weight? Did you attach them with anything more than just sealant? Can you please post pictures of the new sink/faucet and plumbing configuration?

I’m planning to replace the sink and faucet as well. I don’t want to add too much additional weight and I’m also concerned that normal sinks are not made to bounce down the road and could crack or come dislodged if not secured properly during installation.
saraed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 02:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
https://www.airforums.com/forums/att...7&d=1478978695

Has not been a problem, attached with sealant and clamps. Kohler stuff

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by saraed View Post
When you chose your replacement sinks were you concerned at all about weight? Did you attach them with anything more than just sealant? Can you please post pictures of the new sink/faucet and plumbing configuration?

I’m planning to replace the sink and faucet as well. I don’t want to add too much additional weight and I’m also concerned that normal sinks are not made to bounce down the road and could crack or come dislodged if not secured properly during installation.

Saraed, When changing out the sink, I replaced the whole counter top. It is reconfigured to ease the shape, provide more usable space and for a larger sink. The faucet is placed off center to capitalize on the additional counter space. The selected sink is a higher gauge than the original. The sink is held in place with sealant and claps. Typical installation. The weight difference, if any, is minimal.

I’ve been trying to add a couple of pictures with no success. But will keep trying.

2023 F150 XLT
Old 12-02-2019, 09:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1120.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	247.8 KB
ID:	357203

2023 F150 XLT
Old 12-02-2019, 09:35 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Manhattan , Kansas
Planning on replacing mine too..what I want is a ceramic. I just feel like I'm in the kitchen if it is stainless but not sure where to get it and if there is a perfect fit for mine.
undermoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:07 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by undermoo View Post
Planning on replacing mine too..what I want is a ceramic. I just feel like I'm in the kitchen if it is stainless but not sure where to get it and if there is a perfect fit for mine.
Look up at my previous post. I used a Kohler ceramic. It is not a perfect fit but it took very little work with a handheld saber saw. Kohler is carried by many places online and in-person.
Larry
Old 12-04-2019, 04:48 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
North Augusta , South Carolina
Both the sink replacements look great! Thank you for posting pictures!

Did you keep the countertop or replace it? If replace, what material did you use and how did you get the exact measurements and shape?
saraed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:15 AM   #11
Rivet Master

I just enlarged the existing hole, keeping the existing countertop. The sink came with a template that I taped, then cut with my saber saw. Took maybe 15 minutes. The plumbing took more time.
Larry
Old 12-04-2019, 08:24 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
I took a different approach. Tossed the original top as I changed the shape. More curves like an airstream should be. Used a plywood base, adhered the laminate, used an aluminum edgeband and edge cove to wall, and template for the sink cutout. If you are going for a porcelain or ceramic vessel, use the same process if it is a drop in.

2023 F150 XLT