Old 02-14-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Phoenix , Arizona
Replacing Moen Shower Valve Cartridge

I'm sure this has been detailed here in the past, but just wanted to pass along my experience in the hopes it saves someone some time (and possibly money) in the future.

We've got a 2006 Safari SE FB.

The original symptom I was trying to correct was that when you turned on the shower valve the cold would work fine, but the hot would just dribble out. Hot and cold both worked on all the other faucets, including the outside convenience shower.

There is a nice video on youtube documenting the procedure:

Attached Images

az-lh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Yes, the old cartridge gets stuck in there due to the minerals and stuff that get deposited on it with time. I got ours out by alternately using the little plastic tool and the brute force yanking on the stem with Vise-grips. Many, many "alternatelys" before it finally came out.

This was on the kitchen tap though, which is firmly fastend in the countertop. If you are doing this on a shower, you will need to find some way to brace it, or you could wind up deforming the plumbing pipes, or maybe even cracking the shower wall.

One idea to help clean the empty barrel out once you have removed the cartridge (that I got from calling the Moen hot line) was to soak it in vinegar by taping a large plastic bag around the barrel and pouring vinegar into that. A vigorous scrubbing with a toothbrush after that, and a rinse out by turning the water on before re-assembly, and the new cartridge went right in, lubed with the supplied silicone grease. Hold a bucket over the barrel so you don't get water shooting out all over the bathroom floor.

All in all, good clean fun!

Old 02-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
ps: I watched the video, and noticed that the cartridge used in this trailer was somewhat different than the one in my '74. However, everything he did was the same as I had to do.

I didn't see him use the silicon grease though, perhaps the newer units don't require it. On mine, it made re-assembly easier, and protected the rubber seals.

Thanks for the video, az-lh! It will make it a lot easier for many people!
Old 02-14-2012, 10:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by az-lh View Post
I'm sure this has been detailed here in the past, but just wanted to pass along my experience in the hopes it saves someone some time (and possibly money) in the future.

We've got a 2006 Safari SE FB.

The original symptom I was trying to correct was that when you turned on the shower valve the cold would work fine, but the hot would just dribble out. Hot and cold both worked on all the other faucets, including the outside convenience shower.
  • There are numerous notes, instructions (see attached scan), and warnings that the 'slot' or 'groove' on the end of the brass shaft that comes out of the cartridge needs to be oriented towards the top of the trailer. In my case it had to be rotated to the bottom. If it was on the top the water would run when the handle was in the off position, shut off halfway between the hot and cold, and then run again as it was rotated toward the hot side.
Hi, I have also had this problem with my trailer's shower. On mine, because the clip is inside of the shower wall, I had to totally remove my shower valve, to remove this clip, to remove the cartridge. In this video and in Moen's instruction sheet, It states that you can install the cartridge upside down. Unlike stated above, the only thing that will happen is that when first turned on, it will be hot, and cooler the farther you turn the handle. [instead of cold first and then hot]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:42 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Marina , California
Thanks for the cartridge information and video. Because of you, I only had to take one very cold shower yesterday morning! My cartridge was very stuck so the cartridge puller was the way to go for me. I found that by rotating the plastic backing plate between the valve body and shower wall 1/4 turn I could easily access the clip that secures the cartridge.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
When you reverse a Moen cartridge you reverse the hot and the cold lines. Over the years I have replaced a few in the house and for the life of me I could never really figure out the proper alignment. It has been basically trial and error for me. Turn the lever to get hot and you get cold, ask for cold and it gets hot. That is why when you first turn on the shower it starts out hot and then gets colder as you turn the handle which is just the opposite of what you want to happen.

When I picked up my trailer, the faucet was dripping. I replaced the cartridge and the problem was solved. This was the first cartridge that I actually noticed the instructions about the proper alignment. To all of my critics, I can now say that I actually do know what end is up.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2005 33' Land Yacht Gas 33
pembroke pines , Florida
Thumbs up a big thank you

thanks for the video and all the instructions. this is exactly what i am experiencing and have stripped the shower down to this point and was afraid to pull too hard on the cartridge. i will be off to lowes tommorrow so that i can repair it. your explanation and video was perfect! thanks for the information
Old 03-06-2013, 06:09 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
2012 25' International
slaton , Texas
same prob with cartridge, water leak

in the video the pin is on the outside of the shower wall, on my 2004 Int, the pin is on the inside of the wall. had to disassenble the whole faucet to even see the pin. it did come out but now i cannot get the new (#1222)cartridge to "seat" into the valve body. it just goes in about 3/4 of the way and stops. i find no obstruction and have lubed the cart still won't go in. tried putting in the old cartridge back in and it does same as the new and goes in about 3/4 way. afraid to push too hard but ready to use a hammer?????????????? any thing i'm doing wrong?Gregg
Old 03-06-2013, 06:22 AM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Now, our faucet is a lot older than yours, but when I called the Moen help line for hints on how to do the replacement, they told me to tape a large baggie over the faucet body and fill it with vinegar and let it soak.

After it had sat for a while, I took an old toothbrush and scrubbed the innards. This was all to remove the minerals that had deposited themselves over time on the inside wall of the faucet body.

Then we used the little packet of silicon grease on the insert, and it went in. In didn't go in easily, but it did go in.

Hope you figure out out to get yours together.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1970 25' Caravanner
Sechelt , British Columbia
Could someone tell me if the Moen replacement shower cartridge that would fit a 1970 unit is still available ? The film clip version doesn't look far off.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:38 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Arlington , Virginia
Hello,

How did you remove the shower valve?

On mine the clip is behind the shower wall too.

Thanks

David
Old 10-02-2013, 06:48 AM   #12
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Fishbowl,

Call Moen on their 800 number. It's on their site, IIRC

David,

Read this thread from the beginning, watch the videos, you'll see it isn't difficult...
Old 10-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBstream View Post
Hello,

How did you remove the shower valve?

On mine the clip is behind the shower wall too.

Thanks

David
Hi, I'm not sure about your trailer, but my shower valve is located inside of the bathroom cabinet, so it is pretty accessible. I have seen some trailers with an access hatch/cover with about four screws holding it in place.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
2012 25' International
slaton , Texas
Thumbs up moen faucet DJBstream

all looks real simple doesn't it!! video was great if the retainer pin is on the outside of the wall, but since it's on the inside it makes it difficult to get 'er done.
well, I just started taking everything out on the outside wall to get to the pin to release the valve ( behind the shower wall). from there you can see the retainer pin , I used several tools to try and get the pin to move up so I could take it out, and did get it out with some force but did bend it some and it would not go back on correctly. I attached a small piece of wire to the retainer pin just incase it came up and off and then disappeared down inside the wall. got the valve out and the new one in and did the same with a "new" retainer pin, I also attached a pi. of wire to it again just in case,. the valve will "seat" properly just be sure you are pushing all the correct parts to get everything to slide in ( prob seating mine was me). hope this helps advise if u need more info.
Gregg