Old 08-11-2016, 11:05 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Campbell , California
Richcrest - I used a rod (coat hanger?) to hold the plastic piece and was just careful. I believe this is the recommended method to remove the cartridge in this type of shower setup.
~ Ken

Old 08-12-2016, 10:32 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Inyokern , California
Ken--OK. I had something like that in mind to keep from dropping the collar into the wall.

Thanks to your advice, I was able to rotate the white nylon collar piece 90 degrees clockwise, so that the larger notch was at the top. Then I was able to draw the valve assembly inward to within 1/4" or so of the shower wall, but it was still behind the wall, and I could feel that the polybute plumbing lines weren't flexing any more than that.

See, the opening in my shower wall to access the valve is much smaller than the opening shown in Johnny Air's photo, mine is 1 1/2" in diameter at most. The screw holes for the bezel plate are outboard of the hole in the wall. So I guess I'm back to chopping away at the shower wall. Ergh!

Old 09-04-2016, 11:32 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Inyokern , California
Talking

Hey KenS

Motivated by the desire to avoid a 300 mile roundtrip to the Airstream pros in SoCal, I gave my leaking Moen 1222 one more shot. After removing the bezel and rotating the collar 90 degrees clockwise, I reinserted the main mounting machine screws through the collar into the valve assembly and drew them down slowly. There is enough flex in the water lines to allow the cartridge retainer clip to be drawn all the way through the shower wall for easy removal and reassembly. A Moen cartridge puller is pretty necessary. With the valve screwed to the shower wall--no back flex--the new cartridge went in like a dream.

Thanks for the invaluable tip about the collar piece--which has 2 sets of mounting holes! These coaches can be worked on after all!
Old 09-05-2016, 08:01 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Campbell , California
Richcrest - You're welcome, but it's really JohnnyAir that should get the credit for originally posting this solution. I assume this must be the only (practical) method to remove the Moen cartridge on Airstreams with the rear corner bath. ~ Ken
Old 09-06-2016, 07:45 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Inyokern , California
Talking

OK, then, shoutout to JohnnyAir!
Old 09-06-2016, 02:35 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Inyokern , California
And likewise thanks to Off-we-go! Us Nineteeners have got to stick together!