Old 04-24-2014, 06:47 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
Why would AS not put in an access panel? half of the plastic piece broke off and is still in the valve. The longer I own an AS the more I don't like them. This is a one hour job replacing the whole valve with access, now I'm stuck! Has anyone put in an access panel? Have to call Moen tomorrow to see if there is any way to get the plastic piece out. Thanks!

Old 04-24-2014, 08:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I don't think an access panel will help you when replacing a cartridge. Everything is done out the front and if you have some broken pieces of plastic, looking at the back of the faucet will not help you.

If you get it removed and have plastic parts in the works, shut the shower door, turn the handle "on" and then hook the trailer up to a faucet. Run the water to clear the lines and then install the new cartridge.

No need for an access panel.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:57 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Call Moen. They offer a life time warranty on their products. My shower valve failed last trip. i found a replacement at Lowe's, but Moen will send me one at no cost. They will also email you a set of decent instructions. Follow the instructions and you should be done in less than an hour.

There is a 'keeper' type of clip at the 12 o'clock position. They also include a removal 'tool' and a small packet of grease. There are also different videos on You Tube on how to replace the valve.

Good Luck...

Drew
Old 04-24-2014, 09:11 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
I don't think an access panel will help you when replacing a cartridge. Everything is done out the front and if you have some broken pieces of plastic, looking at the back of the faucet will not help you.

If you get it removed and have plastic parts in the works, shut the shower door, turn the handle "on" and then hook the trailer up to a faucet. Run the water to clear the lines and then install the new cartridge.

No need for an access panel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I have also had this problem with my trailer's shower. On mine, because the clip is inside of the shower wall, I had to totally remove my shower valve, to remove this clip, to remove the cartridge. In this video and in Moen's instruction sheet, It states that you can install the cartridge upside down. Unlike stated above, the only thing that will happen is that when first turned on, it will be hot, and cooler the farther you turn the handle. [instead of cold first and then hot]
Quote:
Hi, I'm not sure about your trailer, but my shower valve is located inside of the bathroom cabinet, so it is pretty accessible. I have seen some trailers with an access hatch/cover with about four screws holding it in place.

Hi, if the clip is inside of the wall like mine is, You need to remove the entire valve to replace the cartridge.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:55 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
If you look on line, you can find a video where they change out the cartridge in a wall shower. They show how to use either needle nose pliers or a screwdriver.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:45 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Hi, if the clip is inside of the wall like mine is, You need to remove the entire valve to replace the cartridge.
They must have made a lot of changes from 2005 to 2006. In my trailer everything having to do with the cartridge is done through the front of the shower wall. I do have an access panel in the adjoining closet though. I also have some older Moen faucets in my home that have access through the front and not the back.

Removing the entire valve would be quite a chore....at least for me it would be.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:02 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
Thanks for the replies. The problem I had at first was the plastic part of the cartridge broke off in the valve, it' took me 3 hours to chip it out. I got the new cartridge in and no water comes out, I even turned the cartridge upside down, no water, I'm stumped now. I'll call moen in the morning.

What would happen if the main valve was leaking or broke? There is no way to get that out of my AS unless you take apart the whole shower Or cut a bigger hole since they didn't put in an access panel. Thanks again
Old 04-24-2014, 11:08 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
They must have made a lot of changes from 2005 to 2006. In my trailer everything having to do with the cartridge is done through the front of the shower wall. I do have an access panel in the adjoining closet though. I also have some older Moen faucets in my home that have access through the front and not the back.

Removing the entire valve would be quite a chore....at least for me it would be.

Hi, it could only be mine or all of the same model for that year. The hole for the shower valve assembly going through the shower wall and into the bathroom cabinet is too deep and my horse shoe clip is in line with the plastic shower wall. Therefore I had to remove my shower valve completely just to remove the horse shoe clip. I believe that most of the trailers have the horse shoe clip just inside of the chrome bezel, like it should be.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:09 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
There are a couple different types of Moen Cartridges. In my 2006 FB the water is controlled by just turning the knob. It comes on cold and then gets warmer as you turn the handle. In other Moen faucets, you have to pull out on the handle and then turn it for adjustments.

If you have installed a new cartridge and simply turned the handle with nothing coming out, perhaps you have installed the wrong cartridge. I am not near my trailer so I can't read the information on my cartridge. Perhaps someone else might be able to come up with the model number you need.

Just an idea. I could be all wet on this, and, I am not standing in the shower right now.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:21 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
Aftermath, the guy that helped me at lowes told me that model 1222 was the right one, he said there is another model but it's thinner.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:47 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Jamaica Plain , Massachusetts
After dewinterizing this year I have a slow dribble from the shower even when it is turned off. I think maybe the cartridge needs to be replaced. I've gotten this far:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1402166324.999518.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	658.7 KB
ID:	213716

I think the next step is to remove the pin, but it's behind the shower wall. I see other references in this thread to this problem which suggest removing the whole thing, I can't figure out how to do that.

Also, as far as I can tell there's no way to access behind the wall with my layout.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1402166755.470061.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	667.6 KB
ID:	213717

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1402166764.948708.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	485.8 KB
ID:	213718

Could somebody point me in the right direction?
Old 06-24-2014, 09:40 AM   #26
rbs
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Hot water in shower only

At the end of our recent trip I took a shower right before we closed and headed for home. We were using the propane to heat the water to prevent an overload trip of the breaker and the propane heats the water very fast. When I turned on the water, all I was getting was hot water, not the normal cold in the handle's cold position. I have read about valve not allowing cold, but not the opposite. I feel the valve is the problem, but wanted a second opinion and or experience before I tore into it.
Thanks,
Rod
Old 01-02-2015, 02:37 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
Milford , Michigan
The Pin. Put the pin back in the grenade of a shower faucet

This thread looks like my situation right now. Changed cartridge by removing face plate to access the pin to remove it. Now can't get pin back in.

Might be a trapeze act with a pair of needle nosed pliers. Will keep everyone posted. May have my first grader with tiny hands do it.

Question what is behind the mysterious seat in the shower. Is that void space?

I have always wondered, and am thinking crazily I might add of ripping the entire shower out and sealing it al natural having pipes exposed and a drain.

Maybe I could put in a real bed.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:50 PM   #28
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
When I got stuck on a step in removing the galley tap in our '74, I called the Moen hotline number and was most impressed with the advice and very patient help that they gave me.

1-800-289-6636 Give them a try!