Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2018, 02:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Beavercreek , Oregon
Replacing Moen faucet cartridge

Our 2017 27FB Flying Cloud is still under warranty and last time in I asked them to fix a leak at the kitchen faucet--we were finding water on the counter if the city water was hooked up or the pump left on. They told me they had fixed it by tightening the nut that holds the cartridge in. Well, on our current trip (6 weeks to the SW) we immediately found the leak was still there and getting worse. Big puddles on the counter now. So, after research I located the Moen model for our kitchen faucet (7840) and the part number of the cartridge (1255) and a handy little pictorial how-to on the Moen web site (below). After a trip to Home Depot to get the part, it took all of about 10 minutes to replace and the leak is fixed. Saving the receipt ($20) to submit to the dealer when we return. What should I charge for labor?
https://www.moen.com/binaries/conten...-a-moen-faucet
Dave18134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave18134 View Post
Our 2017 27FB Flying Cloud is still under warranty and last time in I asked them to fix a leak at the kitchen faucet--we were finding water on the counter if the city water was hooked up or the pump left on. They told me they had fixed it by tightening the nut that holds the cartridge in. Well, on our current trip (6 weeks to the SW) we immediately found the leak was still there and getting worse. Big puddles on the counter now. So, after research I located the Moen model for our kitchen faucet (7840) and the part number of the cartridge (1255) and a handy little pictorial how-to on the Moen web site (below). After a trip to Home Depot to get the part, it took all of about 10 minutes to replace and the leak is fixed. Saving the receipt ($20) to submit to the dealer when we return. What should I charge for labor?
Usually a dealer's service rate is from $85 to $125/hour. Also, most of them have a minimum charge of 1/2 to 1 hour.

Good luck!

Larry C
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:16 PM   #3
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
$60 (1/2 hour minimum at $120/hour) sounds good to me! Good luck with that.

On a related note...

For those of you that may have a Moen faucet but you're no longer covered by the Airstream warranty - be aware that Moen has a lifetime warranty for the original owner of the product.

I was able to contact Moen a few years ago to obtain a replacement cartridge for a faucet in our 1992 trailer. The cartridge and shipping were free. Moen also sent a handy tool that makes removal of the cartridge easier.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Nothing like staying on the good side of the dealer by trying to charge him for some trivial thing. He will really bend over backwards to help if you have a serious problem!!! Learning how to solve problems by yourself is part of owning an Airstream. You just had a "learning experience" on how to look after your trailer. Very inexpensive lesson that may come in handy when you are off warranty, camped in the middle of nowhere near a dealer, on a weekend and you have a leaking faucet.
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:46 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Greenwood , South Carolina
I have a 72 Overlander that I have had since 76. Moen sent me cartridges for all three facets (free). Takes about 3-4 minutes to put one in... at least on a 72.
smead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
meon has always given out free cartridges

Simply contact Moen to obtain a replacement cartridge for any faucet
house or trailer, it does not matter

you can also go to a BIG BOX store and pay for one
or

get a free one from MOEN, even the constant pressure models

just tell them what type you have

ive done that for 30 years now
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:06 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
Simply contact Moen to obtain a replacement cartridge for any faucet
house or trailer, it does not matter
get a free one from MOEN, even the constant pressure models
Perhaps if youre the original owner ? I had to replace the shower cartridge last year and the first question they asked me was if I was the original owner. Not sure what difference that makes?
But told them I was not and they quoted me a price. Home Depot was cheaper and same day.
Fred L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave18134 View Post
. . .
So, after research I located the Moen model for our kitchen faucet (7840) and the part number of the cartridge (1255) and a handy little pictorial how-to on the Moen web site (below). After a trip to Home Depot to get the part, it took all of about 10 minutes to replace and the leak is fixed. Saving the receipt ($20) to submit to the dealer when we return. What should I charge for labor?
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
Simply contact Moen to obtain a replacement cartridge for any faucet . . .
. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
Perhaps if you're the original owner? I had to replace the shower cartridge last year and the first question they asked me was if I was the original owner.
. . .
Thanks for a great thread, accurate advice, and the MOEN instructions PDF linked above.

I just replaced the kitchen sink faucet cartridge in our 2014 Flying Cloud 20' . . . and all seems good. [original owner -- not sure if necessary, but the contact form does ask this question]

MOEN's online contact process starts here:

https://www.moen.com/customer-support/contact-us

Either call the 800 number, or "Send an email" which lets you attach 2 photos.

They were very helpful with email updates, and follow-up phone calls. The supply chain is slow these days, but all-in-all this worked out great!

Thanks again AirForums for providing this resource . . . invaluable IMO.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote