Old 12-17-2014, 08:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
Goleta , California
Replacing bath faucet and shower in 1966 Sovereign

Hi,
I am replacing the entire plumbing system in my 1966 Sovereign because there were leaks from frozen pipes and the faucets leak. The faucets, tub, and sink are still the original but I want to replace with new faucets, shower, and pex pipes.
I am stuck with getting access to the fittings that connect the shower and bath sink faucets. The small holes in the sink that give access to the compression fittings are too small for my hand, a tool, a flashlight, and my eye to fit in. Seriously, they are 5 inches wide! I thought of removing the sink but the sink won't come out with the faucet attached because the faucet is hooked to an inflexible copper pipe. I am contemplating cutting a big hole in the side of the sink but wanted to check with you all first in case I am missing an obvious trick.
Now the truth: I have been trying to get in the holes for 3 days and have actually had visions about this bathroom that would not be legal to share in the forum. Thank you for your help!

Old 12-18-2014, 11:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Hi there. We both have 1966 Airstreams, and both have plumbing problems. It sounds like you are embarking down the slippery slope of a bath remodel. I liked the way Airstream designed the bathroom in these old trailers with the fancy fiberglass parts and the hidden "console" toilet with a seat cushion on top. But my trailer had a rotted subfloor under the toilet, so I had to remove the bathroom to gain access to the subfloor. I had to replace the old copper plumbing. The black water tank was shot and I wanted a gray water tank to boot. One things begets another begets another.

So I cut the copper, and I cut the ABS drain piping. I removed the sink, bathtub, and toilet. And the project was under way. A year later I have it all back together and functioning again, but not as a "restored" 1966 bathroom.

So it is decision time. Removing old copper plumbing and restoring old faucets is a real challenge. Demolition with the intent to renew is a different approach. It is always best to save as many parts as possible, but sometimes it just isn't worth the time.

Here is what the original bathroom looked like, and here it is now.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1309 Curb Mattress.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	228842   Click image for larger version

Name:	1408 Bath Vanity Sliding Doors.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	228843  

Old 12-19-2014, 10:04 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
Goleta , California
Hi David,
I had the exact same problems. Yesterday I took the courage and removed the sink, moldings, and toilet. I am replacing the entire plumbing system including faucets and repairing the rotten floor. The black water tank was all cracked so I removed it too and decided to go for a composting toilet. I think that what I learned is that the bathroom cannot be partially done. To look in the bright side, I am glad I found out about the other problems now when everything is removed rather than later when I am on the road.
Thanks, your email gave me emotional support .
Old 12-19-2014, 06:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Well, away you go! Grab your saws all, ABS pipe cement, and drill. You're going to have fun and learn a lot. I did.

What to do with the gray water? No one allows dumping of "wash water" on the ground. You can buy a portable tank like the "blue boy" and rig a dump valve so you can drain into that. I just went ahead and installed both the gray and black waste water tanks. I'm not keen on the composting toilets. Seems like a human litter box to me. Meow?

Here is what my bathroom looked like after I got the bath fixtures and old plumbing removed. Keep us posted on your progress, and ask questions along the way.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1311 Floor Bath.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	289.2 KB
ID:	228901  

Tags
1966, 1966 sovereign, sovereign