Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-22-2018, 09:19 AM   #1

1964 19' Globetrotter
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
Removing tub/shower unit from '64 Globetrotter

Hi everyone,

I just posted on the "Member Intro" thread if anyone is interested... but down to the nitty gritty...

It would appear that two (!) disconnected plumbing lines have contributed to a rotten subfloor in the back of our '64 Globetrotter. I have successfully removed the three piece fiberglass shower/sink/toilet unit, keeping it completely intact.

Once the subfloor has been repaired, our plan is to completely redesign and rebuild the bathroom with new (non-original) fixtures. Reusing the old bathroom unit is NOT in our plans (unless someone here convinces me otherwise).

Which brings me to my problem... for the life of me I can't figure out how to get the tub/shower unit out of the door! It seems that they had to get it in somehow. Why can't I figure how to get it out? Is there a trick to it or is there something I'm missing?

I spent a lot of time and energy to keep the unit in it's original glory. It would be a shame to have to destroy it. Someone please take this hammer out of my hand...
thethingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:09 AM   #2
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
Working on these babies will drive you crazy...
I'm working on a 63 at the moment for someone.
The floor under the bath room has some life in it (barely) and
she does not want to go down the road you're headed so
I'm rebuilding from the bottom....encapsulating the weathered
wood sub floor in epoxy, replacing the elevator bolts across the
rear and rebuilding the poo tank and original toilet (nightmare)
As for getting the various components out of the trailer....I'll get back
to you later today after I've had a look at it from your perspective
keep the faith...they got 'em in so there's gotta be a way!!
Del Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
My 67 has the same bath I think.
I took the toilet riser and shower pan out as one. The bath sink as another and the wall covering as the 3rd piece out.
Hope this helps.
Dingo Girl is online now   Reply With Quote