Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2004, 10:22 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Removing the toilet base plate

I've seen in the forum that the base plate for the toilet screws into the black water tank, but the advice for removing it doesn't seem to fit my situation. I removed the tolet, and underneath find a black plate with six or so screws holding it to the floor. It seems that it would be screwed in to the tank, but there's not much to grab onto. One preson suggested a strap wrench, but the flange edge is nearly flush to the floor. Suggestions?
Billyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 10:26 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
bay city , Michigan
good old screw driver

after removing the screws that hold it into the floor, I used a hammer and screw driver to get it started. place the screw driver on an angle in the direction you need it to spin the blade should be in one of the screw holes for grip then gently tap it with a hammer. (yes I know screw drivers are not chisels) but it worked for me. once the flange is started you should be able to unscrew it the rest of the way.
FireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 10:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
If your flange looks like the one in the picture below, I would suggest welding a couple of bolts onto a piece of whatever angle iron you have handy to fit two (of the four pictured) toilet flange bolts. Then you can unscrew the flange using the angle iron.

If you do not have access to a welder, the home improvement stores sell what I call perforated angle iron. This multipurpose stuff is used fairly often to hang garage door runners. Find two holes the right distance apart and screw your nuts & bolts there.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001079.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	8582  
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 09:55 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for the help, I just needed encouragement to be more forceful--and a suggestion for the right tool. I whipped up an angle iron one and it worked fine.
Billyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 01:07 PM   #5
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
The flange may be glued into the black tank and trying to forcefully unscrew it may damage the black tank. Try to get a good peek at how the flange is fastened into the black tank first.
Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 10:20 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Noting that Billyb's flange was the type that unscrews from the black tank, does anyone happen to know if they remained this way from '89 to present? I'm guessing this is so, if Firefighter refers to flange removal in his 34'.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 10:01 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolis1
Noting that Billyb's flange was the type that unscrews from the black tank, does anyone happen to know if they remained this way from '89 to present? I'm guessing this is so, if Firefighter refers to flange removal in his 34'.

Never mind - it do!

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote