Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2019, 04:32 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Durham , North Carolina
Removing kitchen sink

I'm trying to remove the kitchen sink in my 1968 Airstream Overlander 26'. I have attached a picture of the piping and wonder if I need a "special tool" to separate the plumbing pipes from the sink.

Thanks,

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sink.png
Views:	81
Size:	568.0 KB
ID:	331934  
goswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Looks like all of those pipes are glued together. If that is true, there is no turning any of those. Hacksaw time.
The male threads from the sink strainer basket are screwed down into the ABS female threaded adapter fitting. To remove the nut, the threaded adapter comes off first, unscrews from the strainer. Once the plastic adapter is removed, that nut can be removed with channel lock pliers.

Check out youtube for "sink strainer removal" to see how it is done on modern sinks. (new style is removed and installed by hand without glue.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:30 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Durham , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
Looks like all of those pipes are glued together. If that is true, there is no turning any of those. Hacksaw time.
The male threads from the sink strainer basket are screwed down into the ABS female threaded adapter fitting. To remove the nut, the threaded adapter comes off first, unscrews from the strainer. Once the plastic adapter is removed, that nut can be removed with channel lock pliers.

Check out youtube for "sink strainer removal" to see how it is done on modern sinks. (new style is removed and installed by hand without glue.
Thanks for your response. I was hoping that I could unscrew the sink strainer nut from the ABS pipe and not have to cut the ABS pipe but it sounds like that isn't the case, right?
Old 01-17-2019, 05:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
A photo that shows all of the piping might reveal something more, but from what I see it looks like a cut job.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:47 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Durham , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
A photo that shows all of the piping might reveal something more, but from what I see it looks like a cut job.
You're probably right....I'll have to look at it again tomorrow. Don't know a great deal about plumbing but if I have to cut it - I guess I'll just have to learn 🤞

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
this video shows a good example how it should be re-installed.
https://www.finehomebuilding.com/200...ce-a-sink-trap

Though, if there is not enough space to install the tailpieces beneath the strainer, as shown in the video, you might have to re-install it like it was originally.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
If I recall, and it has been several years, the stink strainers unscrew from the top. There is a tool you can get at any good hardware store that will fit down in the strainer basket from the top and then just unscrew it. Don't cut the pipes.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:13 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Durham , North Carolina
Thanks...will look into doing that. That would be the solution I'd like.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TWind View Post
If I recall, and it has been several years, the stink strainers unscrew from the top. There is a tool you can get at any good hardware store that will fit down in the strainer basket from the top and then just unscrew it. Don't cut the pipes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goswick View Post
Thanks...will look into doing that. That would be the solution I'd like.
You can try inserting the handles of a pair of pliers down into the strainer. Then use a wrench or screw driver for leverage to turn the pliers.

Or, you can purchase this, or a similar, tool.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Armour-L...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

You will need someone to hold a wrench on that ABS fitting from below while turning the tool above.

If you are changing the sink, make sure the drain holes are in the same location in the new sink and the depth of the sink is the same. If you are changing the strainer, make sure the bell height is the same. If you change any dimension the pipes will need to be relocated.
Good luck!
Old 01-18-2019, 02:42 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Durham , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TWind View Post
You saved me a lot of frustration by letting me know to unscrew the sink strainer from the top and which tool is necessary. It all work as you said and the sink is out and fortunately no cutting necessary.

Thank you