Old 05-17-2010, 12:11 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Mount Vernon , Washington
Removing drain from bathroom sink???

I'm trying to get the tailpiece out of the bathroom sink in order to resurface the sink. My '69 has a rear bath and not a lot of room under the sink. I was able to get the trap undone, but the whole tailpiece is turning. A standard tailpiece wrench doesn't fit the travel trailer part. There isn't room to get both hands/arms into a position that allows enough torque to get the ABS to turn off the metal.
Any suggestions?

Old 05-17-2010, 06:25 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Hold the tailpiece on the bottom and use a drain wrench to unscrew the metal drain parts from the top. HD or any ACE hardware has the tool. When I took mine apart, late in the day and not wanting to make a trip to town, I used an automotive tool. It is a cube looking socket that is used to screw the rear brake caliper piston back into the caliper when replacing brakes on a Honda or other. Anything with two "fingers" that will go done in the drain and allow you to turn it will work, maybe even needle nose plier with a pair of vice grips to turn. But, best way is the special wrench than any plumbing supply will carry.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:23 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
The drain wrench I have.... it's from HD... it's O.D. is too big to fit the I.D. of the drain. (I was going to use it on the tub, too, but the cross pieces in it are broken off. I suspect the previous owner tried this, as well). Is there a smaller version for the sink?
Old 05-18-2010, 06:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
The tool I used is a little cube thing. Like I stated, it is for turning rear brake caliper pistons back into the caliper so you can replace the pads. It was cheap. Each side has little ears in different configurations to fit different model cars. There is a 3/8 hole on each side for an extension to attach a ratchet. I have had it for years, but the little "ears" on one side were just right to catch the cross piece in the drain.
Here is a link to a pic, I didn't know how to attach just the pic.
Lisle Corporation
Good luck.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
You could try crossing two screwdrivers and using those as levers to twist the "X" inside the drain (I'm assuming that is the kind of drain you have?). You'll need another hand underneath to hold the bottom of the drain still, and be sure to check for silicone or other sealant at the top side and remove anything you see there, it will hinder you from turning that drain out.

Good luck!
-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:10 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
I think what I'm going to have to do is to use an "inside pipe wrench". That should work much like the tool 68TWind has.
I was hoping to replace the drains in both the sink and the tub... the sink is a booger.... that's for sure... but the tub! THAT's a different story altogether! The cross piece that Utee94 mentioned has been completely torn out of the tub drain. The drain wrench I have works fine for most regular residential situations... but won't fit in this sink's tailpiece. So on to plan "B" (and the purchase of a tool I used to have and then sold.... bummer!).
Thanks, folks, for the input!