Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2015, 12:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Westminster , Colorado
Removing Bathtub Drain

I have come to a bit of a standstill on my reno - the bathtub drain is stuck. Actually, it's spinning around the pipe - so they are stuck together.
Anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the drain (with out demolishing the tub)?
Thanks!
painterfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
Do you have access to both sides or just the top? Since it's spinning, I'm thinking the glue joint below the drain and above the trap is broken. You'll likely need to get a pipe wrench on the plastic pipe piece to hold it while you extract it.

We're working on our 68 Overlander and I just removed the bathroom wall yesterday to get access to the under side of the drain. (The trap must have been left without antifreeze at some point by the PO, because it failed the leak test miserably.) I used a tool designed for removing the drain, it fits down into the cross hatch at the bottom. Loosen with a half inch ratchet and ... of course, it just broke the cross hatch out and left the rest (I'm 0 and 2 with this tool). Tomorrow I'll try cutting the sides of the drain from above with a hacksaw blade to see if I can bend it out without damaging the tub.

Roy and Marie
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
If you can reach it from underneath cut the nut with a dremel tool.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:02 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1982 27' Excella
Currently Looking...
Mazomanie , Wisconsin
The drain fitting screws into the abs fitting below the floor. Try a piece of wooden closet rod jammed into the drain cross piece that broke. You will want a new one anyway since this is where the shower drain screen will screw into. You might also use a straight piece of wood to act as an internal wrench , perhaps 1 1/4 inch x 3/4 with the corners shaved to fit. Jeff
jbib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:28 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1982 27' Excella
Currently Looking...
Mazomanie , Wisconsin
Sorry, I misread the thread. Rick is right. You need access from underneath as well as an internal wrench. The fitting won't come out through the top or bottom until they are separated. If you can cut the nut and are not otherwised obstructed you should be fine. More plumbing yeah!
jbib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:30 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1961 22' Flying Cloud
Parkville , Missouri
Painterfam, did you ever find a solution to your problem? Because I'm having the same problem.

I can't get to the bottom of the tub, so I can't cut the nut below. Please let me know. Thanks.
kirkrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:39 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Westminster , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkrik View Post
Painterfam, did you ever find a solution to your problem? Because I'm having the same problem.

I can't get to the bottom of the tub, so I can't cut the nut below. Please let me know. Thanks.
Yes! I went to Harbor Freight and bought a tub drain wrench. It was about $6.
Then I recruited a friend to come hold the wrench (with a locking wrench attached to the drain wrench handle), while I twisted (or visa versa - I think she twisted one way, and I twisted the other) with another locking wrench (one may have been a monkey wrench)...presto, it came loose! It sort of felt like a waste of $6 because it was so easy!!!
If that doesn't work, you might try some of the rust release WD-40, but it doesn't really work ALL that well. Just marginally well.
Hope that helps!!! I wish you were closer, I'd lend you mine!
Rachael
painterfam is offline   Reply With Quote