Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2007, 08:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Ingram , Texas
removal of 63 globetrotter sink & lav faucets?

Yo guys,

I have a 63 Globetrotter. I need to replace the faucets in the lavatory and shower - both real nasty gotta go. How do I get access to the fittings so I can get those babies out of there? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Chick
ChicknKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 09:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Howdy Chick -- hope you're enjoying the Forums! I'm originally from SA. We were at Mo-Ranch again last fall celebrating my mom's birthday -- her house is too small for the extended families involved.

What is your access inside the cabinet to the area behind the sink? Is it plumbed with copper right up to the faucet controls? Anything you can do with a digital picture might give a better idea of your particular situation.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:04 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Ingram , Texas
Tx Hill Country 63 GT faucet replacement

Hi Bob,

This is my fourth a/s, in fact, I have owned this particular one twice. Maybe a story for the future. We also lived in '69 31' in Soldotna, Alaska for almost three years. No 110 power, no running water, hand dug cesspool, etc.. Now that I see that in print, prehaps we should write a couple of books about Airstreams in the sub Arctic.
Back to the problem at hand, as we owned this one before, I recognize my left handed repairs to other water and drain lines.

In the rear service hatch there is a small access hole under the sink. It is to the left and maybe six from the base of the sink faucet. I can just bearly get my hand on the tubing fittings and the retaining nuts much less get tools
up in there. I can't even reach the base of the tub faucet. I thought of making the access hole bigger, but there just no way, as any cutting would get into the sink, the sink base or the tub. My next idea is to remove the sink from the top, drill out the rivets, get it out if possible, if not, at least try to get hands and tools on the base fittings. That whole concept scares me, I am afraid of cracking and breaking fibreglass.

I hope that someone can come to my rescue and till me how to do this the easy way. For me, there are very few easy Airstream repairs. I always make them ten harder than necessary.

Bob, Don't say too much about the Hill Country, the locals are trying to keep this place a secret. My wife, Kathy of 'ChicknKathy' works a couple of miles from Mo Ranch for a very famous, wacky inventor.

Thanks - Chick
ChicknKathy is offline   Reply With Quote