Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #1

2010 27' FB International
Forest Park , Illinois
Send a message via Skype™ to robineb
Reliable repair for Chicago metro

Has anyone used a repair service for shower/pump in the Chicago area that you can recommend? What about the airstream dealer in Joliet? Or the one in Wisconsin? Or another non-airstream repair place?
Thanks in advance
Al and Robin
robineb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
Hi neighbor. We have gone to Airstream of Chicago since moving to Illinois in 2007. Since getting there is not very convenient (distance and traffic), we typically keep a running list of repairs and MAKE AN APPOINTMENT to get our service items addressed. When we were first going there, we were not very pleased with the service. Over the past couple of years, they have made great improvements. I've wondered about heading north to the Milwaukee dealer as the distance isn't that much greater. Sure would be a good excuse to hit some WI trout streams.

To limit my service trips, and costs, I have learned to address many repairs and replacement items myself. Would be glad to provide any consulting, and a couple of hands, if y'all wish to attempt some repair items.

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle Creek , OR
Send a message via Skype™ to almcate
Follow up note on the source of the problem (I think) was when I disconnect water hose (too distracted to use the water filter) and rolling up on gravel, some dirt got into the leaking hose connectors on the ground. Tried to clean it out (suspect I failed) and am guessing some sand got into the system when I hooked up again (when the leak started...and I noted that the water pump has from then started to intermittently run constantly at a very low hum instead of the full thumping pressurization to shut off). If the valve replacement fixes the shower drip, that's one problem solved, but am wondering if maybe the diaphragm on the water pump might also have been damaged?

Thanks, Al (of Robineb and Almcate, newbies in need)
almcate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Caution

Al, read this advice before thinking of going to Joliet:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f457...ion-72663.html

Sergei

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunset Grant.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	196251
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
We first looked at the Joliet dealer when we were buying our AS but decided not to do business with them. They gave me some bad product information and were trying to palm off a damaged unit as "new". I just had a bad feeling about them. We ended up buying from Colonial AS in New Jersey - very professional outfit

John S.
JDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
You might want to consider going to Woodland Travel Center in Grand Rapids Michigan. Although I wish my new 2013 didn't have some of the issues that it has had, Woodland service has been great and not too far from the Chicago area.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote