Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-19-2005, 12:21 PM   #1

Refurbish bath sink advise/71 Globetrotter

I am new to the forum, selling my plastic Airstream( 02 17'Casita)). just purchased a 71 Globetrotter, in original, good condition with the exception of one small aluminum hickey, bent rear bumper. and a bathroom sink with holes. Appears the shower head may have dropped on it. The trailer had apparently been stored covered, so the metal is good, with no need to polish. Any suggestion on repair to the sink, can the holes be filled and refinished by one of the tub refinishers? Possible do it yourself project? The material of the sink module seems very flimsy, should it be backed by fibergalss matting material. Help?
Thanks
Larry D Mesquite, Tx
LarryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 12:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Welcome to the forums.

Yes, the sink appears flimsy, but keep in mind that the final installation makes it more than strong enough to handle the statistical traffic that a travel trailer's sink will see. Unless you plan to full-time, there is no need to beef it up.

If you have done any fiberglass work before, you should be able to repair the damage. However, unless you are good at prepping & painting age-worn surfaces, you may want to consider letting a professional do all the work.

Good luck!
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 01:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
Welcome to the forums.

Yes, the sink appears flimsy, but keep in mind that the final installation makes it more than strong enough to handle the statistical traffic that a travel trailer's sink will see. Unless you plan to full-time, there is no need to beef it up.
Tom
Tom is right, the fixtures will for the most part handle the traffic.
Just remember with age comes brittleness in the plastic.
On more than one occasion I have had to reinforce some of the plastic with fiberglass. The last item was the A/C cover, had some slight cracks and it fixed up real nice. Ready for the next 25 years. If you don't know how to use fiberglass reinforcment, it is a good investment to learn how.
It is pretty forgiving, with the exception of hardener, make sure you use the correct amount. Other than that, laminate on.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
I had a pretty bad crack and thin spot in my tub. Before we painted it we aplied some 2 part apoxy putty to the pack side.
http://www.por15.com/product.asp?productid=9
On the front side we used some Panduit 2 part automotive epoxy. The putty is hard and metal, the Panduit smothed out and sanded to blend in so you would not even know it was repaired.
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 04:28 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings LarryD!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryD
I am new to the forum, selling my plastic Airstream( 02 17'Casita)). just purchased a 71 Globetrotter, in original, good condition with the exception of one small aluminum hickey, bent rear bumper. and a bathroom sink with holes. Appears the shower head may have dropped on it. The trailer had apparently been stored covered, so the metal is good, with no need to polish. Any suggestion on repair to the sink, can the holes be filled and refinished by one of the tub refinishers? Possible do it yourself project? The material of the sink module seems very flimsy, should it be backed by fibergalss matting material. Help?
Thanks
Larry D Mesquite, Tx
I am not a do-it-yourselfer, so I trusted the bathroom restoration in my Overlander to a local bathroom refinisher who was recommended by my regular plumbing contractor - - I had very mixed messages from the firms who advertised in the Yellow Pages as many of them were not interested in considering a job involving a travel trailer - - the gentlman who was recommended by my regular plumber was in no way disuaded by the fact that the job involved a travel trailer, and welcomed my coach to his shop where he performed a beautiful restoration/refurbishment. The process was involved as the method that he utilized required different primer/surfacer for each of the three materials in the bath (ABS plastic, Formica, and Fiberglass) as well as different top coats (the refinishing products were all from the same manufacturer so it was possible to get the same color for all surfaces) - - I wanted a color change as well as restoration - - moved from the original avacado green to antique pewter. The photos below are of the before and after.

Good luck with your investigation and project!

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bathroom Before 1.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	11025   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bathroom Before 2.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	11026  

Name:	Bathroom After 1.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	11027   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bathroom After 2.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	11028  

Name:	Bathroom After 3.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	11029   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bathroom After 4.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	11030  

Name:	Bathroom After 5.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	11031  
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 10:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by balrgn
I had a pretty bad crack and thin spot in my tub. Before we painted it we aplied some 2 part apoxy putty to the pack side.
http://www.por15.com/product.asp?productid=9
On the front side we used some Panduit 2 part automotive epoxy. The putty is hard and metal, the Panduit smothed out and sanded to blend in so you would not even know it was repaired.
Has anyone tried the POR-15 putty that comes in a stick form?
I just ordered some to do some plastic repairs. Just wondering...
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 04:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
Has anyone tried the POR-15 putty that comes in a stick form?
I just ordered some to do some plastic repairs. Just wondering...
I used some of the stick putty on my shower seat. From the molding of the seat, it looked like a real thin area. When it was removed I found it was actually cracked. I used the 2 part stick on the bask side. It is tough to mix well though you have roll it and knead it like bread dough. We put the patch on the back side it was about 1/8" thick by 4" x 4". When it was hard it was like cement. The info on it says you could drill and tap it. It seems hard enough to do that. Anyway on the front side I used Panduit 2 part automotive epoxy. You can smooth this stuff out really well. When it was done, you can not tell there was a repair. I think I have some pics???
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 11:36 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Thumbs up Lots of Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64
Greetings LarryD!
I am not a do-it-yourselfer, so I trusted the bathroom restoration in my Overlander to a local bathroom refinisher who was recommended by my regular plumbing contractor - - I had very mixed messages from the firms who advertised in the Yellow Pages as many of them were not interested in considering a job involving a travel trailer - - the gentlman who was recommended by my regular plumber was in no way disuaded by the fact that the job involved a travel trailer, and welcomed my coach to his shop where he performed a beautiful restoration/refurbishment. Kevin

Kevin

I'm interested in what material they used on your refinish, it looks real good. Did you get a look at the materials, brand and the like. Do you know if it was epoxy?
I have always wondered if the refinish would be too soft. How does it look with age and use?
What are your thoughts on the job after living with it for a while?
So many quetions...
Old 04-03-2005, 12:39 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Gary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet's Husband
Kevin

I'm interested in what material they used on your refinish, it looks real good. Did you get a look at the materials, brand and the like. Do you know if it was epoxy?
I have always wondered if the refinish would be too soft. How does it look with age and use?
What are your thoughts on the job after living with it for a while?
So many quetions...
About all that I am sure about was that the product was of PPG origin, and was one that was sold only to "trained" technicians. My assumption is that it must have been some form of epoxy as it has held up exceptionally well - - I haven't been able to identify any problems --- it is easy to clean, and hasn't shown any propensity for scratching. The process was guaranteed for five years and it looks like the refinish may be approaching the durability of the original.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote