Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2011, 01:13 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Refinishing Argosy Tub?

I've got a 76 Argosy that I am refurbing, The tub is badly stained and I would like to have it recolored a pleasing and neutral beige. The tub appears to be polyvinyl, not fiberglass. Anyone ever rehab theirs? If so, what did you use?
Thanks!
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Bueler?...Bueler?....
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:55 PM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Do a search on this subject here in the forums, many folks have used paint to refinish the tub, with varying results. Spray works waaay better than brush, in my personal experience.

This video on youtube.com will also give you a quick once-over on it.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
I just refinished my tub and bathroom sink/vanity countertop for the second time. 1st try was with a Rustoleum product that I tried to spray with a Harbor Freight paint gun. Had poor results using the paint gun on the tub so tried brushing the sink/vanity with even worse results. Soooo let it dry for a few weeks and sanded it all down and purchased a product called Tough as Tile at Home Depot. This product was in aerosol cans (2 per package) and the result was much better. probably could have had it refinised professionally for not much more than I spent.....
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I believe the tub is made of ABS as is the interior caps on both ends of the trailer.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:17 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
Thumbs up painting the tubs

I completed this task last weekend with some pretty decent results, see attached pictures). I went to a local boat dealer and purchased a 2-part epoxy paint. The paint Perfection, beige topside yacht paint a 2-1-10% mix (ony needed 4oz of paint, 2oz of epoxy and 1oz of 2334 brush thinner rolled on effortlessly with HD 4" rollers I bought at Lowes.

Two recommendations (1) lots of ventilation and the use of a ventilator (2) wait 20 minutes before rolling afdter stirring to ensure there are no air bubbles. If you were to spray with 45PSI, no issues.

Prep time, was the most time consuming. But the task was complete within 8 hours to include two coats.

I just got in the nose insert from Inland RV, Friday and installed that. Andy was correct in it not needing to be trimmed, but it is still work on a 40 year old coach.

I'll get the new Drapes this week from JPA Drapes. Audrey has been great in working with me as I mixed I-beams with T-tab rails to make the drapes work with some obsolete hardware. We've owned the Airstream for 18 years and wish I went with the original thought of purchasing them from JPA back in 1996.

Good luck and have fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0227.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	132379   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0227a.jpg
Views:	1177
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	132380  

SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I used a 2 part epoxy tub and tile paint I bought at Sherwin Williams. The sink in my TW was plastic and the tub fiberglass. Surface prep is the key to a good finish so take your time there and rough the old finish to give the new paint something to grip. I used the disposable spray system with the glass cups and the spray cartridge that screw on the top, got it at NAPA cause is was cheaper than the paint store. The results I got were great, I could not have been happier.
A couple of things if you go this route. First is buy a good carbon filter respirator certified for volatile organic fumes. This stuff is bad and when you lean over into the tub it is really bad. Second, you will need to thin the mixture to get it to spray without globing or orange peeling. After a little experiment you will find just the right viscosity and it will spray very nicely. Use the recommended thinner. If you do get a run, wait several days and wet sand the run with fine wet paper and then lightly blend in the areas with a light coat of the paint. Once dry the redo will disappear.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote