Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2015, 11:34 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
georgetown , Maine
Recoating fiberglass tub

Hey team!
I have a 60 over lander I believe, with matching pink toilet, sink and shower. Unfortunately the shower/tub is fiberglass (or abs?) and has some wear on it. Any recommendations on recoating it? I know there are two part epoxies available that could do the job. It's a back bath and would seemingly be near impossible to find a replacement for the unique and awesome curving tub.

Somewhat relatedly: any good materials choices on retro looking Formica on bath counter? Mine is slightly stained.
Thanks guys!
Loren
Ltrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
Is it in or out of the trailer?

Sent from my iPhone
David & Diane
Old 09-09-2015, 06:40 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
georgetown , Maine
Its still in the trailer. Most everything else is in great shape other than needing a new floor. The sub is all good and hopefully I won't need to remove the tub.
Ltrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
There is also this ...
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:10 AM   #5
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
Cheap, Quick, Easy...

Successful experience... BRUSH if you're not wanting to spray.
If you must paint it in place, my best advise is to use an off the shelf alkyd epoxy tub and tile paint kit. Go through the back door of a body shop and pay the painter to tint it for you if the common bisque/almond/white doesn't suit. Clean, #220 scuff, clean, tack-rag, tape, tack-rag. If you open the windows and ventilate with fan, you'll get dirt in the coating. Keep trailer closed, wear a real respirator for a clean surface*. Follow exactly the directions on package including temperature. It takes two coats. Yes, the mixed paint/catalyst will keep perfectly well in the freezer overnight for the second coat. If you're not familiar with brush painting protocols, read up on brush painting. For even coating, it is very, very important to use the Purdy brush pictured. Work as fast as reasonable 'til finished, then wait. In a few hours, the paint will flow out and look like porcelain. You will not have to color-sand the orange-peel left by a roller. Roller is bad, unless you prefer orange-peel texture.. It defies logic that the hemispherical sink in the video can be evenly coated with a roller, perhaps a "wonder of television". If you do get a sag, don't fret, wait a few months, and color-sand.

I had no need to color-sand. If you can find a run, brush mark, or sag in my brush job, I'll sign my title over to you.

*Advice from the “G-String” Painter... When painting with body over an object, take your shirt off, rub yourself down with lotion including your hair, wash your hands well, don't touch the surface with anything but the paint. Most of the junk that falls into your paint, is clothing fibers, dander, hair, lunch...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3124.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	247760   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2726.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	482.2 KB
ID:	247761  

ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote