Old 11-23-2009, 04:16 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1964 24' Tradewind
Orlando , Florida
Rear Bed or Rear Bath

Well, I wasnt exactly sure where to post this thread because it involves both Bedroom placement and Bath placement. I am in the process of rebuilding my 1964 tradewind. It is completely stripped out and we are pretty much starting from scratch with the project. So here is my question, should I keep the bath in the rear (where it originally was) or put the bedroom in the back and move the bath just in front of the bedroom. Now before you start formulating your answer to my question, let me give you a little more information.

My wife and I will be living in our unit for a few years after we finish it, so naturally a rear bed with more privacy would be ideal... BUT (there is always a but), since the original bath was in the back, the blackwater tank is already positioned in the rear and Im not sure how difficult it would be to move it. Or is it possible to leave the tank where it is (under where the bed would be located) and re-route the plumbing from the new location of the toilet to the blackwater tank. Originally the toilet just sat right on top of the tank, leaving a pretty straight shot from the toilet to the tank. As long as I keep the pipe on a steady decline from toilet to tank, can I still keep the tank where it is?

I really am sorry if this was confusing to anyone, I wish everyone from airforums could just magically appear in my unit to help me figure out my problem, unfortunatelly that is not possible and you all have to try to decifer my poor diction. Thank you all for your help and if there is anything that is unclear please let me know and I will try to clear it up. Here is a link to my blog following the progression of the unit so you can get a better idea of what it looks like. the airstream diaries

photocodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We bought a sovereign with a rear bath and middle twin beds with the idea that we would flip the bedroom to the back with a queen bed, and make the bath a streetside in the middle. Weeeellllll, we did some mock-ups with cardboard of bed, toilet, etc. and ended up deciding NOT to move the bathroom after all. I couldn't get around the hatches mostly being unusable space with the set up we were going to use. And, we would lose most of our storage and closet space, as far as we could figure.
So, my suggestion is to do some mockups and play with them. We used measurements from our current SOB trailer for bed size, closet depths, counters, etc. to help us. And we went to the local Airstream dealership and walked through their trailers on the lot for more ideas. We are going to put a double bed in place of the twin on the curb side in the middle, and then build closets on the street side across from it. All our exterior hatches will still be functional this way, and we will get the storage we want. Some things are definitely still in flux and probably will be until we start to build furniture for the inside.
I know some people put the blackwater tank on top of the floor. Then you wouldn't have to worry about how to do it. I don't think the toilet could be in a different location from the blackwater tank since there's not enough water flush to really flush solids down a pipe. Unless, of course, you're one of those "pee only" people. (don't start THAT conflict again! )

Minno is offline   Reply With Quote