Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2016, 10:21 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Power From Poop, etc.

Who is going to be the first to try one of these in an Airstream?

Cheap, waterless toilet that turns waste into clean water and power to be trialed in Africa

Ken

P.S. Why does it so frequently seem like journalism does not require grammar?
Since when is TRIAL a verb?
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
That is pretty awesome if it actually works as they say with no issues.

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

The only product that would not be easily useable in a mobile environment is the ash. They mention using it for plant fertilizer. However unless one can find room in an RV for a portable food garden, it might turn out to be truly waste. Perhaps campgrounds can turn their dump stations into ash dumps. The ash could then be used to fertilize a vegetable garden. The produce could then be sold or distributed to the campers. To be truly sustainable, either a self contained or campground located purification system for the grey water must be developed. You could simply exchange your gray water for fresh water from the purifier.

Ken
Old 01-04-2016, 12:27 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
Who is going to be the first to try one of these in an Airstream?

Cheap, waterless toilet that turns waste into clean water and power to be trialed in Africa
Reverse osmosis of urine to obtain clean water, then solids are coated with wax and stored for later pump-out by a honey wagon. Coating solid human waste with a sprayed-on wax to prevent odors is an interesting concept.
Quote:
The only product that would not be easily useable in a mobile environment is the ash.
The solid waste is delivered by a honey wagon to an incinerator facility— not incinerated at the toilet— so finding a use for the ash in a mobile environment is a moot point.

In my opinion, it's an interesting take on the waterless toilet concept, but impractical for RV use. Imagine trying to dump a black tank that's full of wax-coated solids, with no water to aid flow.

For third-world countries it has useful application because the only infrastructure needed is an incinerator facility built by foreign interests and existing roads to let the honey wagon make the rounds.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

"The residual solid waste and pathogens are driven by an archimedean screw into a second chamber. This part of the design is still being finalized, but the current plan is for the solid waste to be incinerated to convert it into ash and energy. The energy will power the nanomembrane filtration process, with enough left over to charge mobile phones or other small devices. "

This, although not finalized, left me with impression that the conversion to ash was intended to be done in the unit itself*. However one cannot tell from reading it. If not, what's camping without a dried poop fueled campfire?

Ken

*In addition to charging cell phones this could possibly also provide a bit of heat for the RV
Old 01-04-2016, 01:53 PM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
This part of the design is still being finalized, but the current plan is for the solid waste to be incinerated to convert it into ash and energy.

This, although not finalized, left me with impression that the conversion to ash was intended to be done in the unit itself*. However one cannot tell from reading it.
I got the information about the honey wagon and off-site incinerator from the video on the web page. They may have a modification in the works for future in-situ incineration, but nothing in the present design indicates a fireproof chamber where incineration could occur.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I got the information about the honey wagon and off-site incinerator from the video on the web page. They may have a modification in the works for future in-situ incineration, but nothing in the present design indicates a fireproof chamber where incineration could occur.

OK, I missed that. I have accidently trained myself to ignore videos by reading news sites. I would rather read the writing than listen to the talking head misinterpret it for me.

(although I will admit that the writing comes from a writing head, who possesses the same powers of misinterpretation).

By the way misinterpret means interpreting in a manner I do not agree with.

Ken
Old 09-18-2019, 10:22 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Mesa , Arizona
The real joy in reading this thread is the posters speak English! It makes my teeth hurt to read hw otherwise bright folks use our language.
THERE, a location
THEIR, the possessive
THEY’RE, a contraction of “they are”

SIGHT, a view or the ability to see
SITE, where you park your AI
Moodywelman is offline   Reply With Quote