Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2007, 05:15 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
silverpeanut,

Sounds like you either had something stuck in the ball valve that opens when you step on the pedal, or your flush valve (connected to the pedal) is faulty. I would have the valve assemble replaced under warranty.

Your bowl is probably a Sea-Land (Dometic) and should carry a 3 year warranty. This is NOT an Airstream-specific part or warranty issue, so you might want to seek out a qualified mobile RV tech who is Dometic certified to correct your problem.

You can contact Dometic (# should be in your manual) or check their web site for more onfo in locating an authorized repair facility.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 05:15 PM   #22
_

. , .
back filling the fresh water tank is usually caused by a defected check valve at the pump,

or debris IN the check valve.

search as there are many threads on this...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f443...h20-21678.html

the black tank flush requires an additional hose connection,

so it's not possible for a normal water connection to fill the black tank.

since the btf isn't hooked up.

there should be an owners manual for YOUR make/model of toilet bowl in the owners kit.

some are even ONLINE

http://www.sealandsanitation.com/Trvlr%20OM%203-01.pdf

and include a 'trouble shooting' section that just happens to cover "bowl overflows"

ususally it's the spring or water valve/pedal that isn't tight so the bowl continues to fill slowly.

this WILL NOT fill the black tank, the bowl just runs over onto the floor.

it's easy to see the trickle of water going into the bowl, IF one looks for it.

IF the black tank filled first, that suggests the bowl/tank valve isn't sealing properly.

this is usually from paper or debris fouling the seal or a defective seal.

so try cleaning the seal groove and spray the valve/seal with pledge for lubrication.

the best idea, until your service might be to disconnect/turn off shore water and only use the freshwater tank/pump.

i usually turn off outside water when leaving. it's one less thing to break while away.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 07:01 PM   #23
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Hmmm - looks like you may have a general water system problem.

IF the pressure regulator for the city water is malfunctioning and the city water pressure is 70 lbs psi, then this excessive pressure could have damaged some of the toilet seals as well as the pressure regulator/check valve on the 12 V pump.

Generally, these RV systems don't like more than 45 lbs. psi on all of the components.

If the water pump was damaged, then it definitely will let the city water "blow by" and enter the water tank (this is the only other way water could enter the tank unless YOU fill it!)

Question - when NOT hooked up to city water, does your water pump bring the system up to pressure - i.e. does it turn on & shut off & stay off until you open a faucett?

Yes, this is definitely a warranty issue - although we can't imagine it would take that LONG to get a pump as they are a readily available, off the shelf item, stocked by any decent marine chandlery or rv store.

If we find the magic trailer genie, we'll send your way . . . .
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 07:12 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Belvidere , Illinois
Thanks so much guys...

Our toilet is manufactured by Thetford... and I will try cleaning the seal area as suggested by 2air. The black tank was definitely full so that seal must not be closing properly all the time. We will just turn the water off at night/when we leave until we get the pedal mechanism fixed.

I will pull out the manual tomorrow morning and see what else I can pin down as far as fixes and/or repair service info under warranty.

We have known for some time that we needed our water pump replaced (for that fresh water fill problem) and tried to have it done while in for service in MA but as I said above after two weeks of being in the shop they claimed the pump was still on backorder so it never got taken care of. We just alternate back and forth between using the fresh water on pump when it starts to fill up and then going back to the city flow when we get the tank emptied out. I prefer the city flow when possible just because the dang pump is SO freakin' loud. I feel like we must be drivin' our neighbors nuts when we run that pump. It sounds like a jack hammer outside the trailer. This is why I don't run off the pump at night... to save our fellow campers the noise pollution from our water pump!

Thanks everyone for your input on this. You all are amazing. We are still learning the ropes here and you guys are invaluable. I hope I can turn it back around someday to help some folks out on here too.

Visit our travel blog "Full Hook Ups"
silverpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 07:26 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Belvidere , Illinois
In response to WhiteLight... "Question - when NOT hooked up to city water, does your water pump bring the system up to pressure - i.e. does it turn on & shut off & stay off until you open a faucett?"

To add to what I wrote above explaining how incredibly LOUD the pump is (we have never been sure if the noise was "normal" since this is our first trailer) the water pump does deliver decent pressure BUT when all faucets are off it does this weird hiccupy-burp type noise every 20 minutes or so. Not sure if it is supposed to be doing that either. I wish I knew more about this stuff. I suppose I am learning right now though...are'nt I??!

Ohhhh I can tell you too... I was mad enough to chew glass that day when we went to pick the trailer up from the repair shop. They told us all work was done (aside from the water pump on backorder that is...ummm yeah, right) and we paid, picked it up and drove two hours away to realize they had not fixed anything. We had an electrical problem which they did not fix which was a priority. So we drove allll the way back and spent the rest of the day sitting around only for them to say "We can't figure out what is wrong... it's going to be up to you to pin it down." We have since figured out what we think is going on with the electrical short and have a band aid in place until we land in Jackson Center to get it fixed for real. The service tech was a real snappy smarty pants too. I am not going to name names... but keep your eye on the ball if you ever go in for repair work in Eastern MA.

Old 07-21-2007, 07:41 PM   #26
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I haven't read the whole thread, but until you get the issue straightend out, it would be a good idea to turn off the water valve to the toilet when not in use.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:47 PM   #27
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Bethany - that "burping" from your water pump indicates that either the pump is defective (its internal pressure regulator isn't "holding water" to speak) OR you have a leak somewhere in the water system.

Not all 12V pumps are loud - a lot depends on the make & how/where it is installed.

When you arrive at the "mothership", perhaps upgrade to s Shurflo or Flojet Smart sensor pump - these pumps adjust the motor speed based on your system's water pressure. We installed this type on both our boat & '74 Sovereign & were quite satisfied with their performance & quietness.

Also, with this type of pump you don't require an accumulator tank - sometimes, 12V pumps (of the regular variety) "hammer" the water system if an accumulator tank is not installed (do you know if you have one?) (This accumulator tank "holds" an amount of water, at pressure. When a faucett is opened, the water in the accumulator tank acts as a cushion to the demand on the pump)

Another item that helps the pump noise is a soundproofing under the pump. Many trailers have the pump installed directly on the plywood floor - the wood amplifies the sound. We've used hard rubber grommets/washers between the pump feet & the floor plus have used a hard blue "rubber" 1/4" thick sheet under the pump installation to baffle the sound. (regardless of what is used, the pump has to be securly mounted to the surface)

Anyway, be sure to turn the city water off before heading out or off to sleep! We really don't want to see a post about how much water an A/S trailer can hold!
Old 07-21-2007, 09:41 PM   #28
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelight
Generally, these RV systems don't like more than 45 lbs. psi on all of the components.
this may be true for older units,

but as i recall, airstream increased the functioning water pressure to 60psi...

on units built in the last 2 years or so.

this was in response to customer complaints of low water pressure/flow.

so all the fittings, fixtures, pumps and valves would need to tolerate this 60 psi...

a/s doesn't routinely use accumulator tanks on any modern units...

cheers

2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 08:44 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Belvidere , Illinois
Whitelight... thanks so much for the info on the pump. I had talked to someone else about "soundproofing" the pump... because ours is mounted right on the plywood.

We don't have an accumulator tank but I wish we did.. it sounds like it woud ease the noise problem a bit.

I guess I am going to catalog all of our problems, hopes and dreams (lol) for our water system for our visit to JC and hopefully we can get the system up to par for the long haul when we go.

We had a leak free night last night. Well, almost... Billy knocked over my glass of water sitting up on the TV tray into the bed in the middle of the night. I just can't seem to win on getting a full nights sleep without going into the splash zone!

We are hitting the road today in a few hours so I am off to batten down the hatches. Have a nice Sunday everyone!

Old 07-22-2007, 08:49 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Have a safe trip~
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 09:19 AM   #31
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Safe journeys & stay dry!

When you arrive at the Mothership, be sure to take the factory tour. Friday's the work crews are off, so the tour group has a bit more freedom to poke around.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:30 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 20
Burlington , Ontario
What toilet do you have.?
If the water valve is leaking it should only fill up the toilet bowel. Unless the toilet dump slide is leaking. I would look at the toilet valve first. then the water valve. The water valve is a gate valve that is turned inside to allow
water to flow. I doubt that it is the trouble . Perhaps the pedal on the toilet mechanism is sticking. That could be the culpurt. But none the less it should only have filled the toilet bowel. maybe both are suspect.

I have been friends with my toilet for many many times. I have special words for all the parts.

Yours in misery

Rae Baker VE3CZN
ve3czn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:52 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Halifax , Nova Scotia, CANADA
It might not have been the toilet. In our trailer the bathroom sink also drains into the black water tank NOT THE GREY as you would expect.

Just another possibility!

2006 Safari SE 28W/LS,
2006 Silverado 2500HD/LT EC SB 4x4 Duramax/Allison,
Hensley Arrow , Honda EU2000i (propane),
160W Solar, 400W sinewave inverter,
3-stage smart charger, Xantrex battery monitor,
Sirius satelite radio
jzelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:06 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Sorry I've been off the forums for a while...

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverpeanut
Hey Paula! How's Virginia?! We miss it!

Yeeesssss.... a drain in the floor would have been a good thing last night! Unfortunately ours was a whole new take on a "wet bath."
You miss Virginia - you wouldn't have missed it these last three weeks - temps in the 100 f. range and humidity almost as high. You practically have to drink when you inhale. Whew, I'm heading for the mountains this weekend.

Paula