Old 01-13-2014, 09:15 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Plumbing Problem??

So, I noticed while at canopener rally a problem that I think is going to require repair....but hoping it is something just silly that you all will re-direct me to an easy fix.

There is a small diameter PVC pipe that exits bottom of the trailer just near the sewer outlet - the the left of the outlet...I think it is an outlet for AC condensation?

Anyway, I was sitting outside of the trailer, wife was inside and must have used the bathroom, and I heard water coming out onto ground.

Long story short....when you flush the toilet, some water comes a runnin' out ...as if you cut the water hose on full blast then shut it off while running the macerator toilet.

I went over to allison and rhett's ("iggywalker") trailer that night (they have the same trailer as me, same year and all) and no such water rushing out (none at all) when running the toilet.....

Rhett suggested that perhaps the factory hooked up some of the plumbing wrong....not sure at this point

The toilet itself still works....I think the efficiency of it it reduced...when flushing down #2, it takes an extra flush to get the job done....

The water that discharges appear to be fresh water not waster that has been in with waste...I need to absolutely double check this....I did not notice this problem till the night before we left the rally, and have not totally verified, but no evidence of waste around the trailer, just water...Im going to go put some gatorade (red) in there tonight and flush it and see if any red comes out with discharge to be sure, but im pretty sure it is just city water dumping before going into the john?

thoughts

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:36 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
My first thought was a low-point drain that's not completely closed. The symptoms don't exactly match a partially-open low-point drain, but that's an easy thing to check, so it's as good a place as any to start on the troubleshooting.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
You may have suffered some freeze damage in that record cold snap so if your trailer wasn't properly winterized. That will have nothing to do with the condensate drain, though-- the systems are not connected at all, rest assured. Sometimes when winterizing people forget to put antifreeze in your p traps in each drain and they can crack or break then the water will run into the belly pan and find its way out. It would be coming from a sink or shower not the toilet. That's one guess and then of course it could be a water pipe. Try to look and see what is above or near where it's coming out. It was nice talking to you at Canopener!!
Rob
Old 01-13-2014, 10:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
That pipe you are referring to sounds like a drain pipe. It should be controlled by by a faucet valve somewhere near it. In my trailer the valve is located in the exterior storage compartment next to the drain. When the valve is open, you can drain your freshwater tank using the pump. I would suspect the valve is partially open so that when the pump comes on, it is pushing water out.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
With the water off and no pressure in the system try flushing the toilet by pouring water into it and see if any comes out.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
The toilet cannot be flushed without assistance from macerater pump as I recall - they put in the macerater (I'm told by other bunkhouse owners) because they moved the tank and as such it needed to go uphill .

I went out a bit ago and put in some red Gatorade into head - flushed it down - only clean clear water from fresh water tank (not hooked up) came out.

I'll check low point draines and other advice as well

Old 01-13-2014, 10:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Streamer View Post
That pipe you are referring to sounds like a drain pipe. It should be controlled by by a faucet valve somewhere near it. In my trailer the valve is located in the exterior storage compartment next to the drain. When the valve is open, you can drain your freshwater tank using the pump. I would suspect the valve is partially open so that when the pump comes on, it is pushing water out.

That is a possibility - going to check that too....

Old 01-13-2014, 11:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
also, Im pretty sure this issue predates a freeze....as my wife and I recall prior to this thinking we heard something, checking it, but then assuming it was just a coincidence and was some condensation we saw on the ground as at that time we were running the AC units a bit....so we did not think much of it...but on this trip we got more curious....

Old 01-13-2014, 11:11 PM   #9
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
I'm pretty sure CA Streamer is right about your leak. My system drain is in the same location and a few times the valve handle inside got bumped by items in the storage area and it got opened just a crack. Try turning it fully closed and see if your issue disappears.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
just checked two low point drains and fresh water drain...all closed...

I could not find a valve for this pipe...there are no storage compartments near that area around were the sewer outlet is at, but in looking under the bathroom sink and behind some drawers on the other side of that wall in kitchen, that is where the water pump is...

Noted that after running water pump, it is holding pressure just fine, it bumps a very small bump every 4-5 minutes...presume that is normal....

I went out also and turned off the water pump and opened the faucets...no pressure...then flushed a half gallon of water in toilet down and nothing drained into my bucket under the pipe in question.

I then power up the pump, ran only the faucets and there was nothing draining with that....

So when you cut on the water that runs the toilet, it is draining out water through this pipe...

Old 01-13-2014, 11:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
yeah, I need to find this drain valve you all speak of...checking manual now

Old 01-13-2014, 11:37 PM   #12
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
"Noted that after running water pump, it is holding pressure just fine, it bumps a very small bump every 4-5 minutes...presume that is normal...."

Not normal! The intermittent cycling is a sign of a pressure reduction in the lines due to a leak.

The valve I was identifying is immediately inboard of the exterior pipe segment alongside the exterior wall of the streetside storage compartment. I've learned it can get bumped when removing various items or shifting items on especially bumpy roadways.

Check your manual for the pipe routing. I suspect the issue might be something else other than the valve in question like a coupler fitting on the PEX.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:59 PM   #13
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
Just read the following in the latest owner's manual edition: "On all units except the 27’ Front bed Model an exterior water service shut off valve is located inside the lavatory cabinet and can be accessed by either opening the cabinet doors or removing the cabinet drawers."
Old 01-14-2014, 12:01 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I thought I checked there but I'll double check