Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2014, 11:00 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Sounds like either the low point drain (my trailer has 2, I assume for hot water line and cold water line) or the drain for the potable water tank.
If I remember correctly, the low point drains are brass pipe with small metal valves.
These low point drains are curb side between the 2 wheels.
The drain for the potable water tank is a white PVC pipe with a white plastic valve.
This drain is street side between the 2 wheels.
Your trailer could be altogether different (kinda like the 2nd A/C and Fantastic fan thing and macerator/holding tank situation).
We are looking for more cold weather in the forecast so I will be winterizing again today.
THere are I now count 4 low point drains on my trailer...two brass ones just behind the wheels, along with the plastic petcock one for fresh water tank...then the other low point drain in question here is one that trains the water from the pipes that lead fresh water to my toilet/macerator mechanism...AND I think there may be a 5th low point drain (ill double check this later) for the hot water heater, which has a valve I think in there around behind the hot water heater tank...the valve for the toilet low point drain was located behind drawers right next to the oven where water pump is located....the valve was obscured by some other pipes and such when I was first looking around...

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:29 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Old boat builders trick for stripped wood screws. Take a wooden match or tooth pick, dip in epoxy, insert in hole, drill small pilot hole, insert screw.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:05 PM   #43
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Old boat builders trick for stripped wood screws. Take a wooden match or tooth pick, dip in epoxy, insert in hole, drill small pilot hole, insert screw.
Newer boatbuilder's trick for stripped wood screws. Fill the hole with epoxy, without the toothpick. Insert screw while epoxy is still wet. Allow to dry thoroughly

Not to be used if you anticipate ever having to unscrew it again, because after epoxying the screw in place, the only way to get it out again is to drill it out.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:15 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
ill need to take a second look, but I *think* the piece of wood this is screwed into is like a strip of it seperate from the drawer...so I *think* that as such, I could replace that piece of wood if it gets too knarled up quite easily...going to double check tonight...for now going to just try and put in glue, then re-screw in with additional screws and then put in new latches and perhaps that will hold...as long as they dont fling out like that again I think this will work for quite a while....otherwise I could replace that small strip with the same material or even something harder to hold....

Protagonist...new photo I see....I was thinking about you at canopener cause we are the few that use an actual photo of ourself for our avatar....

Old 01-15-2014, 03:51 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
At dealer I filled both sinks - drained and watched traps and all to look for leaks - dry as a bone back then

Looks like now I just need to put on some plumbers tape around water heater drain plug or replace - someone had recommended I keep a spare one of these and also to try putty on threads

I'm very happy about the water fix though - huge relief

Unrelated to this a couple of the drawers came out during trip back and ripped off a couple of the mechanisms that de-latch the drawer from the rails - screws holding them in into strip of particle board not impressive - drawers still work though - no real damage per se
Part of our get-ready-to-travel routine is to remove the underwear drawers and place them on the floor. One of the kitchen drawers comes open, but has never fallen out, yet. I think that is all a consequence of bad, rough, bumpy, lumpy roads. On the way home from Canopener one of the sink covers came up off the sink and moved across the counter.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:59 PM   #46
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Part of our get-ready-to-travel routine is to remove the underwear drawers and place them on the floor. One of the kitchen drawers comes open, but has never fallen out, yet. I think that is all a consequence of bad, rough, bumpy, lumpy roads. On the way home from Canopener one of the sink covers came up off the sink and moved across the counter.
A couple of cup hooks, one above the top drawer, one below the bottom drawer, with a bungee cord stretched between the cup hooks, should do well enough to keep your drawers in place while in transit, and the bungee cord is easily stored out of the way while camping.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:17 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
...AND I think there may be a 5th low point drain (ill double check this later) for the hot water heater, which has a valve I think in there around behind the hot water heater tank...
The valve by the water heater should be to by-pass the water heater not to drain it, unless they changed something.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:35 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
The reason I say that is that I think there is another small pipe like the one in question in this thread right there so perhaps it's a similar deal

Photo of just below water heater

Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1389843311.196837.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  45.3 KB

Old 01-15-2014, 08:36 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Protagonist - great idea about the hooks !!

Old 01-15-2014, 10:16 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
This is a pic of the arrangement in my '08 27FB. It has the typical 3-valve bypass arrangement and a low point drain seen at the bottom that exits out through the belly via a PVC type pipe. This is in addition to the 2 brass petcocks on the opposite side of the trailer. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1389849363.695991.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	203706
Old 01-16-2014, 04:15 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
The reason I say that is that I think there is another small pipe like the one in question in this thread right there so perhaps it's a similar deal

Photo of just below water heater
That may be a high pressure releas?
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 01-16-2014, 07:10 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Maybe? I'm not sure but interested to know....

Old 01-16-2014, 07:13 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
That may be a high pressure releas?

No, that's a low point drain for the cold water line feeding the water heater. It's not mentioned in the owners manual, but Jackson Center confirmed it when I called asking what this 4th valve was for. I hadn't discovered the exit pipe until I applied water pressure in the spring when the valve was still open!
Old 01-16-2014, 07:14 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Ha - same issue I had but different location - seems these manuals need updating!!

Old 01-16-2014, 07:15 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
How can they have a maintenance winterizing section - mention low point drains and miss 2 low point drains in the directions....imagine winterizing by those directions but not draining these two areas....

Old 01-16-2014, 04:35 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Pennington , New Jersey
Quote:

Unrelated to this a couple of the drawers came out during trip back and ripped off a couple of the mechanisms that de-latch the drawer from the rails - screws holding them in into strip of particle board not impressive - drawers still work though - no real damage per se
PharmGeek - we had the same thing happen on our maiden voyage with our bunkhouse. Apparently one of the "improvements" with our model year was the drawer mechanism - supposed to self-close. However, I think they need to do some more R&D on the staying closed part. For the amount that we paid for the unit I would expect better. One should not have to use an after market jerry-rigged solution to keeping a drawer closed during transport.

That being said, your damaged drawer should be covered by the warranty.
patentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:50 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by patentguy View Post
PharmGeek - we had the same thing happen on our maiden voyage with our bunkhouse. Apparently one of the "improvements" with our model year was the drawer mechanism - supposed to self-close. However, I think they need to do some more R&D on the staying closed part. For the amount that we paid for the unit I would expect better. One should not have to use an after market jerry-rigged solution to keeping a drawer closed during transport.

That being said, your damaged drawer should be covered by the warranty.

We have our trip to the mother ship all planned out- we will get warranty service Tuesday, September 16, 2014 at JC. We are going to a gospel singing at Pulaki, TN Friday, September 12-15 then traveling to Jackson Center. I haven't yet planned what we will do after JC, but I have thought about Holiday World theme park at Santa Claus, IN, the Auburn Cord Duesenberg museum, and the vintage RV museum. I am as excited as a kid on Christmas Eve now and the trip is 8 months away.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 01-16-2014, 04:55 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:

I am as excited as a kid on Christmas Eve now and the trip is 8 months away.
We confirmed our April 2014 trip there in Dec 2013. I feel the same way! I can not wait to hit the road to get there!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:58 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Having read a lot on this forum - quality disappointments as such did not surprise me at all - so far no major problems - they should use a better quality travel latch for sure - all are predestined to fall out it seems - wack

But loving the airstream so far - our next trip is topsail hill in 4 months !!! Cannot wait a our first 1 week trip!!

We are equally excited - we will hit up Jackson Center witching the next 2 years - should be fun - the tour and all that jazz

Old 01-17-2014, 07:01 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Warranty claim repairs eventually cause the bean counters to review why a specific item shows up all the time and perhaps make a change. If necessary, and an authorized dealer is relatively close, I would show up at the end of any trip with the repair list and say "get'r done!"

I always wonder why there is time to do it over but never time to do it correctly the first time?

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote