Old 01-14-2014, 04:16 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
"The catch latches at the back of the drawers come in two tensions."

I need to look closer at what exactly is clicking and holding the drawers in place I suppose...may have missed this latch mechanism....but I assume it is a 10 lb latch as well...maybe making it more heavy duty would fix things....but how annoying to open such a heavier duty latch? If not particularly difficult, then so be it....

where do you find such latches? may give that a try...CAstreamer...did this not work for you? I think you mentioned that for you it failed to work...?

also, just looking on amazon, what plug do I buy...

"It is super easy to cross-thread the plug upon insertion. Try ......"

Also, im not exactly sure I followed the advice here....I know....I can be a real dullard....but just keeping it real.

Thanks again.

I definately will have to experiment with bungees if not as a temporary fix if anything else...although not sure where all I can run them to keep things secure.
Any body that can handle two or more topics in one thread is certainly NOT a dullard!

I replaced my catches with the same 10lb type. I knew they made 5 and 10 lb catches but I have never seen 50lb catches. They must be strong! I did find an article about upgrading to brass catches. You can adjust the tension with a screw adjustment. I may try these and lose the sliding latches if they work.
Here's the article... Easy RV Mod -> Upgrade Your Drawer Latches | Wheeling It

Old 01-14-2014, 04:52 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Oh those look promising - may order them soon and see how they go!!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:28 PM   #31
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
Oops.. typo. I meant ~15 pounds. I have latches like those referenced in CA Streamer's link. Adjusting the screw increases pressure to what I guess is about 15 lbs. It is just noticeably harder but my wife never noticed.

As for the plugs: Atwood Drain Plug - 2pk

Your RAM is big, there is no doubt about that. Looking into the cab of the professional rigs as they pass will confirm your higher elevation. Trucking along definitely takes on a new meaning.

You already experienced the beauty of the Jake brake and travels through truly mountainous areas like the Rockies will be a delight. Your mileage should improve somewhat over time. It takes a long while for a diesel to fully break in. I just made a similar trip to Apalachicola the weekend before CanOpener and averaged 14.2 in mine and I have a heavier unit with the slide out.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:49 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
See more - I didn't get to see your slide out unit - hope to see it next time!

I have 50 k miles on my 2010 RAM

Cannot wait to go out west in the airstream - could be a long wait but we think it is possible in 2015 or 2016 - assuming 2 weeks is enough for some sort of such trip

Ordering the plugs tonight and will likely try those brass latches

See more - did we meet at canopener? Forget your name if do with respect to your handle

Old 01-15-2014, 12:50 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
... but I definately will keep an eye on traps....never thought about those working lose...guess road vibrations can do alot...drawers fall out, stuff losens...rivets pop...whatever ...

I wish I could find where I read it, but someone stated that an RV experiences a 6.5 or better earthquake several times a minute as it goes down the road. I'm tickled when I find only the seat cushions have rearranged themselves when I arrive at my destination. There's a seismograph app for the iPhone. I may have to duct tape the thing to the counter on my next trip to see how accurate that statement is, but the analogy is reasonable.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:27 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Goose View Post
I wish I could find where I read it, but someone stated that an RV experiences a 6.5 or better earthquake several times a minute as it goes down the road. I'm tickled when I find only the seat cushions have rearranged themselves when I arrive at my destination. There's a seismograph app for the iPhone. I may have to duct tape the thing to the counter on my next trip to see how accurate that statement is, but the analogy is reasonable.

hahaha, good idea....I will await the results with baited breath.

I ordered the atwood drain plugs, bought some plumbers tape for threads, and ordered 4 of those brass latches (18 bucks in total)....ill update you all with how that works out.

After replacing the plug and fixing that problem, I hope that will prevent the pump from cycling.

I made a screw up after that night I was fiddling with this all...I had the water pump on doing all this...then left it on accidentally...next morning (4.5 hours later) I went to get something in the trailer and the pump was running continuously....I suspect the water just dripped out eventually enough to the point that no amount of pumping could get pressure up and thus continuous running...I hope this did not screw anything up with the pump...I have read on here that it running dry is not particularly harmful....but that is alot a runnin...

Old 01-15-2014, 10:46 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
CAstreamer appears to have been right!!!

I had to remove drawers to get to where the drain was at (near water pump) and finally found the drain valve under some other loose pipes of some sort...it was set to wide open....closed it....now nothing comes out and water is much more robust to the toilet....

YAAAAYYYYYY!!!!

You all rock!

Stupid manual gives no clue about this drain valve location....

ok, now I can go to sleep

PS - PERHAPS this was the source of a bit of the pressure loss?? I will in the coming days go back and see if water pump cycles at all....before I closed the valve it bumped every 4-5 minutes or so...im hoping this was the source of that problem although im not so sure.....hmmmm

Ok goodnight yall
Call Airstream and find out who won the "POOL" on how long it would take to find the open valve they left open.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:49 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Unrelated to this a couple of the drawers came out during trip back and ripped off a couple of the mechanisms that de-latch the drawer from the rails - screws holding them in into strip of particle board not impressive - drawers still work though - no real damage per se
On my 2014 FC 20' the drawer mechanism sliders were very poorly attached to the drawers with two very small screws put into the front face of the drawer. One drawer plywood had already been broken the day I took delivery. It was glued back in place then by the dealer.

Since I got it home, I looked carefully at the drawer attachment system and found that there are additional holes in the metal which can be used to much more firmly attach the slider to the drawer. I bought some 3/16 long about #4 or 6 wood screws and put them in the additional locations with a dollop of white glue to hold them in place better (over the original screw tops too). I have had no problems since doing this. Airstream should use all the screw locations available, not just two little flimsy ones on each slider.

I would advise anyone with a 2014 to look at their drawer mechanism attachment and add the needed screws. Since 2014 was when the factory changed to full extension drawer sliders, I don't know if this applies to 2013's and earlier.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:13 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Yes! Same for me - two small screws T an angle - takes very little to rip up the wood it goes into - I'm going to use wood glue and look for extra holes as you suggested thanks!!

Old 01-15-2014, 11:19 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
When you see how fast the cabinet makers are moving on the assembly line, no wonder only two screws get installed. And the tour guide yesterday said they are working to increase production from 51 to 53 units per week.

Maybe in the near future, a big truck will show up and dump all the trailer parts on your front lawn and the shipping label from Airstream will say "Some assembly required! Enjoy your new trailer!" That would be full circle from the drawings Wally originally sold to make the trailers.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:46 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Sounds like either the low point drain (my trailer has 2, I assume for hot water line and cold water line) or the drain for the potable water tank.
If I remember correctly, the low point drains are brass pipe with small metal valves.
These low point drains are curb side between the 2 wheels.
The drain for the potable water tank is a white PVC pipe with a white plastic valve.
This drain is street side between the 2 wheels.
Your trailer could be altogether different (kinda like the 2nd A/C and Fantastic fan thing and macerator/holding tank situation).
We are looking for more cold weather in the forecast so I will be winterizing again today.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:51 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
Call Airstream and find out who won the "POOL" on how long it would take to find the open valve they left open.

Haha - well - it was not easy per se - the manual was of no help - which is odd because for winterizing I would think opening that is crucial.

Switz - so it seems! Kinda disappointing of course but kinda was within my expectations per research on here - which is not a categorical ringing endorsement of craftsmanship

Overall everything seems well put together...so far....the door arch to bathroom is cheesy as he'll and that door will need a tad of adjustment - the metal mechanism rubs too much upon closure

The latches on outside storage seem like cheesy garbage

Overall minor quibbles

Old 01-15-2014, 12:00 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Sounds like either the low point drain (my trailer has 2, I assume for hot water line and cold water line) or the drain for the potable water tank.
If I remember correctly, the low point drains are brass pipe with small metal valves.
These low point drains are curb side between the 2 wheels.
The drain for the potable water tank is a white PVC pipe with a white plastic valve.
This drain is street side between the 2 wheels.
Your trailer could be altogether different (kinda like the 2nd A/C and Fantastic fan thing and macerator/holding tank situation).
We are looking for more cold weather in the forecast so I will be winterizing again today.
THere are I now count 4 low point drains on my trailer...two brass ones just behind the wheels, along with the plastic petcock one for fresh water tank...then the other low point drain in question here is one that trains the water from the pipes that lead fresh water to my toilet/macerator mechanism...AND I think there may be a 5th low point drain (ill double check this later) for the hot water heater, which has a valve I think in there around behind the hot water heater tank...the valve for the toilet low point drain was located behind drawers right next to the oven where water pump is located....the valve was obscured by some other pipes and such when I was first looking around...

Old 01-15-2014, 12:29 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Old boat builders trick for stripped wood screws. Take a wooden match or tooth pick, dip in epoxy, insert in hole, drill small pilot hole, insert screw.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is online now   Reply With Quote