Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-29-2010, 08:38 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1989 34' Excella
Holly , Michigan
Plumber's putty or glue?

I am installing a new lav sink in our bathroom, and I am wondering, do you use regular PVC cement or plumber's putty on the attachment of the black drain pipe and the bottom of the sink? The original one from Airstream was glued, but the place I got the sink from said that was wrong, it should have been installed with putty. Does it even matter?
cathy624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I have this sneakin' suspicion that Airstream was right to glue it in this case. The problem with plumber's putty is that, while it does well in residential applications, it wouldn't fare as well under conditions involving flex movement and vibration. But that's just my opinion.

Lynn
Old 11-29-2010, 08:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I wish you'd post a picture. In every land use sink I've installed, the basket in a kitchen and the pop-up in a lav sink is installed with plumber's putty. There's the danger that we're talking about two different things. That's where a picture would be helpful.

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:04 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1989 34' Excella
Holly , Michigan
Thanks so much for the quick replies! My camera battery is dead, but here is a picture of the sink and the drain pipe I'm referring to. The bottom of the sink has a small neck on which the flared end of the black tube slides over.
44430.jpg
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2010, 09:05 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
The sink in my Excella has a chromed metal drain in the sink that attached to the black pipe, just like a home sink. I can't imagine what you would glue.

A photo would be a definite plus.

On edit, you posted a photo while I was writing, but it's really small. OK for the sink, but one of the drain large enough to see what it is might help.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy624 View Post
Thanks so much for the quick replies! My camera battery is dead, but here is a picture of the sink and the drain pipe I'm referring to. The bottom of the sink has a small neck on which the flared end of the black tube slides over.
44430.jpg

If the stem goes down from the top, sits in the sink flange, and has a nut on the stem under the sink, I install those with plumber's putty, never glued. I can't see why that'd be glued. I'd just follow the sink manufacturer's installation instructions. If the manufacturer calls for glue, I'd glue it.

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:42 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1989 34' Excella
Holly , Michigan
This is a cheap sink w/o the chrome ring in the drain. This shows the bottom of the sink with the flared black tube coming off that. Then the threaded collar which attaches to the existing drain plumbing. My question is concerning the attachment of the white collar on the sink to the flared black tube.
Nov. 9, 2010 006.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nov. 9, 2010 006.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	116164  
Old 11-29-2010, 02:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
if the sink is plastic of some sort (or PVC like the pipe) the glue sorta kinda makes sense. Plumber's putty relies on gravity and the big lock nut. My 2005 Safari sink had the drain installed with plumber's putty - so much I must have taken a tablespoon out over the first week I owned it.

With the pipe on the outside, looks like gravity would hold it in place as long as the sink was bolted to the counter top. However you might create a waterfall in the cupboard if it wasn't glued - no way to use putty with that setup that I can see.

Rules of Plumbing from my two master plumber uncles (both named Paul):
  • hot is on the left
  • cold is on the right
  • payday is Friday
  • the boss is an S.O.B.
  • Sh** doesn't run uphill
Paula
Old 11-29-2010, 02:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
That photo helps a lot. What is the sink made of? It may be difficult to glue to the tube.

I think that I would use bath or automotive sealant rather than glue, they're practically glue anyway, so it could be removed sometime in the future if necessary without damaging the sink.

Some sealer on the male (sink) part and a hose clamp around the flared black tube ought to work.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
The label on plumbers putty warns not to use on plastic, at least the brand that ACE Hardware sells. I was going to use it recently when installing the lav in my Trade Wind but used a little silicone sealant instead with good results.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:41 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Glue without a doubt!

My sink is very similar, I used glue because there is not a mechanical fastener that will hold it in place. Make sure you use glue for PVC.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:13 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1989 34' Excella
Holly , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
What is the sink made of?
"Plastic." The part/part description has no particular "plastic" specified. Not very helpful, is it.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:33 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy624 View Post
"Plastic." The part/part description has no particular "plastic" specified. Not very helpful, is it.
I hope that they didn't overly stress themselves with that description.

It is a nice looking sink, though. I'd do like I mentioned earlier, some bath sealer or silicone.

Now I am looking forward to the installed photos.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:49 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Tuttle , Oklahoma
I just installed the very same sink.
The black piece must be glued to the stub protruding from the bottom of the sink. It then slides into the p trap and is retained with the normal nut and compression/seal ring.
There will be nothing to keep it in place if it isn't glued. Just make sure the length is right with a dry fit before gluing.
I just used regular PVC primer and cement.
I also used a bead of clear silicone around the flange of the sink to seal and retain it to the counter top. After it cured I just trimmed the excess around the outer edge.
Very clean and stable install.
1bbboomer is offline   Reply With Quote