Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2016, 11:39 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Classic
Ivanhoe , Virginia
Oxygenics and cooler shower water

Hi, Not sure this is the right place to ask this but....we have used an Oxygenics shower head in our last several RVs. We just put one in our new (to us) Classic and the water is not as hot in the shower. Wondering if it's the shower head (aeration) as we can't remember that happening during the 10 days we used the trailer while traveling back after purchasing it with factory shower head.

It seems to take the hot water a long time to get to the shower. It is fine with the Oxygenics but I don't add any cold so obviously won't last for as many showers in a row. Maybe will collect the cold water in a bottle tonight and see how much water is actually is!

We have always found that we use a lot less water and have a nicer, stronger, water flow.

Any comments?

Thanks, Pam
horseylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:08 PM   #2
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
If you didn't throw away the old shower head, put it back on the hose and try it with that. See if there is a difference.

On a side note... If you have the old shower head and the Oxygenics I suggest you also try a comparison of how much water is used to see if Oxygenics is really saving anything. I've done this with Oxygenics and several generic, much less expensive, shower heads. In all cases Oxygenics consumed 20 - 30% more water during a one-minute test.

My test consisted of using the on-board pump and opening the shower valve fully (I used cold water) and measuring the water into a bucket for exactly one minute. I used the on-board pump so it would be relatively consistent water pressure regardless of when and where I perform the test. Otherwise, local city water pressure may affect the results.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Since the Oxygenics aerates the water it might cool it off a bit. It's never been objectionably so with mine.

More likely is that the shower in this unit is farther from the water heater than your others were.I always start with the shower on full hot. When boondocking I collect the water in a bowl until it is hot so I can use it for other things.

I also have done a test to compare the flow and found the Oxy uses less water. Mine puts out 3/4 gallon in one minute.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:41 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Classic
Ivanhoe , Virginia
Oxygenics

I have found that it uses a lot less water as evidenced by the number of days I can go without refill or dump. Suggested one to a friend who does almost all dry camping at dog herding trials and she forgot she had installed one until she realized that her water was lasting so much longer in her toy hauler which has huge capacities anyway. I'm too lazy to put the old shower head back on and do the test but I am going to run it into a bottle until the hot makes it to the shower and see how much water is actually cold. I figure that as long as it's clean water I can use it for the dog water, plants, just not to drink! It will be an interesting trial. I think it's probably taking longer to get the hot to the shower because it does use less water and all that cold has to go through. Going into Everglades for two weeks where all we have for hookups is electricity and we have to haul water or go move trailer to potable water and dump stations which is no big deal but the less the better.

Thanks for responses.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:08 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Anaheim , California
Perhaps your Moen valve cartridge is plugged. Search the threads and you'll find many people have had to replace the cartridge.
Johnco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
I would guess the Moen valve is bypassing cold water under the back pressure from the shower head. As suggested if the water is hotter with the old head then the new head is (part of) the problem. The Moen Cartridge is a a plug with O-ring seals around the holes in it. If one of those o-rings is leaking by there might be more cold water getting to the shower head. Or; the hole for the hot water is partially plugged and more cold water is getting through under the extra back-pressure....still it seems there is a leak in the cartridge, since full hot setting should shut off any cold water. I don't believe distance from the water heater makes a difference. If your bathroom sink water is hot, the problem is in the Shower valve.

just a guess!!

JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:18 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Classic
Ivanhoe , Virginia
Hmmm. Not sure I want to mess with the Moen wherever it is. This is a 2007 Classic and the original shower head says Delta. The part on the wall says Delta. Maybe same issue?

In any case, tried both shower heads last night and the Oxygenics and Delta were almost identical water use, with O being slightly less. All we did was change out the shower head, from home, so I'm going to buy a new O system and put it in as I want the one at home.

Will post if I find out anything different.

Thanks,
Pam
Old 01-13-2016, 11:22 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
The delta faucet construction is very similar to the Moen. AS used both brands through the years. The o-ring suggestions above are valid for the Delta fixture as well. Common o-rings and cartridge assemblies are readily available at most good hardware stores, like Ace.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Not to confuse the issue above; but on my showers, (Home and Rv), I have put a little shut off Valve.(SOV) between the pipe out of the wall, and the shower head/hose; that I can control the flow of water. A little flow for wetting myself down, off for soaping down, full chat for rinsing off, a little for shaving and brushing my teeth, full for final rinse, then off.
saves me a lot of water use.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:42 PM   #10
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Since the Oxygenics aerates the water it might cool it off a bit.
Doubt it. The difference wouldn't be that great. If you have an Atwood water heater, it heats 6 gallons of water to a temperature that can scald you, but then brings it down to a bearable temperature by mixing hot and cold water in a 2:1 ratio right at the heater outlet, long before it gets to the faucet, to make 9 gallons of hot water from a six-gallon tank. It's one of their selling points, in fact.

The cold water in your Airstream isn't chilled, it's really "room temperature" water, except in this case room temperature is actually outdoor temperature, more-or-less. So in winter, your cold water is colder than it is in the summer.

When you mix colder cold water with same-temperature hot water, you get cooler warm water. So the hot water coming out of the Atwood water heater really is colder now in mid-winter than it is at other times of the year. You aren't imagining it, and your Oxygenics shower head is not at fault.