Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2004, 02:42 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Outdoor shower

I haven't heard of an Airstream outdoor shower before (thanks to Jack for providing a pic of it on the new Safari 30'), but I think it's a great idea.

I'd like to see Airstream put this shower unit next to the entrance so we can quickly wash our sandy feet (or dog's muddy feet) before leaping back into the coach. (I think the shower is located streetside on the 30' Safari)

But why limit it to just the Safari 30'? Wouldn't this be a good feature for all of the Airstreams?

- Charlie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shower.jpg
Views:	1073
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	4887  
Old 02-20-2004, 03:01 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

outdoor showers

The are a goodly number of outdoor showers sold for campers and marine use....do a yahoo, etc. search and you will have good reading...jem
zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 03:01 PM   #3
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
It's a nice convenience, but.....

Wouldn't a garden hose attached to the water outlet serve the same purpose? No warm water of course but how often are we going to stand outside and take a full shower?
I wouldn't want it to become standard issue on all new AS's and raise the already high cost even higher.
Just my opinion, thanks for the info.

Rog
Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 03:32 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

One thing that I liked about the 16CCD is the opening curbside for the shower head pass through. It'll be handy for us, though using it so close to the door could cause an additional muddy mess.
MaShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 05:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Cool

To me conveniance isn't the issue, I just really enjoy
having a blue sky has my ceiling when I am taking a shower.
The kids say it reminds them of the outdoor showers at the beach house. My camping club has a portable shower system
made from the guts of a couple of ill fated SOBs. We also hooked up a double utility sink for doing dishes.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 10:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Ralph Lauren's Nautical and Utility Airstreams (and probably the other two, but they aren't shown) feature outdoor showers, most likely to make those little Bambis feel a bit more roomy inside. I'm all about the warm, indoor showers - if I'm dragging around 2700 lbs all over creation, it'd better have a nice bathroom in it - but for what they are, they appear to be very well done.

There aren't too many photos, and none showing how it's constructed or gets it's water, but could serve as an inspiration if making your own.

Kind of a pain in the butt setting up and breaking down the whole thing every time you want to rinse off, but I suppose if you were staying put in warm weather for several days this would fit the bill. Looks like 3 or 4 telescoping legs with a steel ring, which holds another ring with the curtain on it. A solar-heated camping shower (with the big canvas dromedary) would work well with this, too.
Here are the Polo Airstreams.
bredlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 09:10 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
warm outdoor showers

REI (recreational equiptment Inc and Camper's World catalogueshave portable outdoor showers and various size bag bags to heat water, with a faucet head attached. Even at 10,000 ft. the 5 gal hot water bag got impressively hot! silversuz. we have a shower rig by the pool on tripods to attach to a water source so kids can rinse off before/ after swimming. It's made by the same company that does water sprinklers and connectors in bright orange. Brain fatigue today cant remember the name but home depot sells them. I got mine from a garden catalogue. silversuz
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 09:51 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

outside shower products

It's the campmor catalogue that has products for outside showering silversuz
Old 03-14-2004, 11:16 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

I was planning on installing an exterior shower on the curbside mid-area of my tradewind. I was looking at installing the CampingWorld one, part# 22260, which is $60. It is shown below, and has to be painted to make it silver. I know it will just chip off.

I really like the A/S grey one, and I assume it has an aluminum door.

I don't see the A/S one in the 2004 Safari 30', is it in new for 2005? Anyone have a part number yet?

Thanks,

Christopher
Attached Images

gerbermania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 11:36 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
If AS had an outside shower, won't you have to go in with your muddy feet and turn on the water pump to use it? Assuming you didn't leave it on while you were out getting muddy, which I hear is a no-no.

I like the idea of using the hose for a quick rinse.

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
luckydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 04:06 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

outside showering

O.k. , finally got it together, www.campmor.com or in their catalogue on pps 114-115, are a bunch of sunshowers, and a sunshower enclosure. for wet feet find a wood pallet or planks or stones and a way to have the water drain away.

The small one is great to use backpacking. silver suz
Old 03-15-2004, 01:02 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
I had Toscano install an outside shower on the streetside on my old Safari. They had never done one before but it came out great. I really miss it on the Classic.

Having access to hot water without going into the trailer is great. When people need to wash their hands or plates or pots, I send them to the side of my trailer. No more having people trample through the trailer to get some hot water. I also used it for washing my dog after trips to the beach. Never did take a shower with it.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 01:38 PM   #13

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally posted by gerbermania

I really like the A/S grey one, and I assume it has an aluminum door.

I don't see the A/S one in the 2004 Safari 30', is it in new for 2005? Anyone have a part number yet?

Thanks,

Christopher
The door is grey plastic. The one I took the picture of was mounted on a 30' 2004 Safari. I'm sure A/S will give you a part number if you call them. Note that it is set up for hot and cold water.
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 03:09 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

...our SOB had one, and we mostly used it for doing dishes in parallel, and also hosing off after swimming in a pool...
hohne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 03:43 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

outside shower

Camping world has an addition you can add to your trailer on the outside that allows both hot and cold water. silver suz
Old 04-03-2004, 10:07 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
Send a message via Yahoo to jjonesnc
Make One!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydc
If AS had an outside shower, won't you have to go in with your muddy feet and turn on the water pump to use it? Assuming you didn't leave it on while you were out getting muddy, which I hear is a no-no.

I like the idea of using the hose for a quick rinse.
An additional switch could be easily added close to the location of the shower to turn the pump on. While i have my AS all apart i think i will install one but im thinking of putting it where i already have a hole........the storage compartment on the roadside of my 31' Excalla II.
That location already has a door, its close to the water heater and water pump, and is away from the entry door so that area wont get soggy. I have dogs who for some reason love to roll in whatever poop they can find especially GOOSE POOP MAN ITS THE WORST!!!

One could easily build the shower itself or buy one. I dont like the idea of cutting a hole in the skin but of one wanted to do it , just find a AS door from salvage along with the trim, build a box and rivet the box to the skin from the inside using olympic rivets so it matches.
Build a box like this ("Tarheel" gets credit for this) "get some 3/8" plywood, a pint of west system epoxy with hardner, fiberglass tape and some micro wood filler.cut out the wood to the desired measurements,
mix the epoxy and coat both sides of the plywood using a foam roller. 3 coats light sanding between coats.
using brads tack the box together
mix epoxy and wood filler to a consistency of peanut butter
make a fillet on all of the inside corners including the bottom using a tool similar to a tongue depressor
after making the fillet remove excess epoxy
when the epoxy has set but before it has hardened cover the outside edges with glass tape and wet it with epoxy using a squeege and getting all air bubbles out
when the outside tape has set cover all inside joints in a similar fashion.
when the epoxy has cured coat the box inside and out with two or three additional coats of epoxy using a foam roller."
Make the box with a good flange around the edge so it can be attached to the skin. You could then install a shower fixture in the back wall of the box. I like the idea of the box also being large enuff to put wet muddy shoes in/whatever.

perhaps it will not look "factory installed" but you will have a factory AS door covering it so...??????

Just some ideas rolling around in my Tin Can Head
-Jason
jjonesnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 06:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I use a "WalMart" tee with a faucet when I connect to the campground watersupply. 50' of green garden hose exposed to the sun will give you a nice warm shower anytime you want it.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 07:42 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...808364978&rd=1
Several of my friends have these and they work great. This thing has a battery operated pump. It's dropped into a stream or a 5 gallon water jug. No reaso you could just stick the hose down the water fill.
There is a redialy avalable "stall" that is sold for use with portable toilets that a couple of the folks I know have.

A few of my friends have built heat exchangers for showers on their trucks. Pretty slick set up.

I have put some thought to a set up for our coach last year. I plan to weld a bracket to the frame next to the bumper. A pole will slide into it. It will have a hoop for a shower curtain.
I was going to use the water system drains and adapt them so I can tap them for the shower. Set of control valves mounted on the suport pole for the shower stall ring.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 08:07 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Tarheel, That is what we used when I worked in the oil field in Texas, we had a couple hundred feet of water hose strung out, that was enough water for the whole crew to shower. Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 07:48 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
If you need more water than the hose will provide you can always put a tank, 2-10 gallon waterpump tank, on top of your trailer. Paint the tank black or forrest green and let the sun warm it. We used a 50 gallon hotwater heater at the beach and had to use cool water mix because the water got too hot. The 5-10 gallon sunshower bags hung will do an excellent job given enough time. Several hundred feet of water hose is cheap and easy to store.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote