Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2018, 02:59 PM   #1
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Wink old and common problem but bear with me

I've not had a hot shower yet in my 2018 FC, it's been warm - but not hot - and I didn't know that I maybe ought to be expecting to have a hot shower (for at least a couple minutes )

I just kinda figured it's an RV and maybe that's what ya get...

But...reading lately has made me wonder. ... Should I be expecting a HOT shower albeit brief with the 6 gal tank?

And after researching the forum I'm inclined to look at the shower cartridge, since I have nice reasonably hot water at the other sinks. Am I right here?

Believe it ought to be a Moen being a FC2018 that's my understanding...

Am I deducing the most likely avenue here to investigate folks? I have not tampered with any plumbing, valves, or anything related to the water heater ...I'm not handy capable so I appreciate the tips and advice folks, hell, I NEED them heheh

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Some Moen shower valves have a little 'limit stop' that is a part of the valve. It's intended to prevent scalding hot water from getting to you. If the limit stop is maladjusted, the knob will come to a 'hard stop' before the water gets nice and hot.

The limit stop is usually part of the sleeve under the knob. Unscrew the knob and see if there is an elongated slot with a screw or hex capscrew in it. That is the adjustment part. Loosen, but do not remove the screw, and slide it as far counterclockwise as it will go, put the knob back on, and see if the water can be adjusted hot enough. If it's uncomfortably hot, slide the screw (and stop) back toward the other way a bit. That may be part of the problem.

The other possibility, if you have a separate outside shower system, is that the valves may be on, and the shower head shut off. Check that both valve handles are OFF. If they are letting water flow, the hot water will mix with cold at that faucet, and possibly make your inside shower run cold.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
The shower faucet is supposed to be set at 120F or lower, to keep people from burning themselves if they accidentally turn the faucet while in the shower. The temperature of water in an RV water heater will BURN skin.
Take a look at this, but adjust with safety in mind.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
For Moen faucets with the transparent plastic knobs, use fingernails or a thin dull blade to gently pry off the cap with the "Hot/cold graphics" on it. Under the cap is a phillips screw. Remove that, and that should expose the adjustment part...either the two-piece plastic part shown in the video, or the little 'slider' I was taking about...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:11 PM   #5
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Thanks fellas this looks promising, and new information I hadn't seen before! I'm hopeful to have hot showers sometime soon Will keep ya posted

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
Old 05-25-2018, 09:40 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Friday Harbor , Washington
My shower too hot. Is there....

My FC 25 2016 produces water that is too hot for me. Is there a way to turn some sort of control at the heating tank to lower heat? Anyone?
Rob Cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:23 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
The water heater produces DANGEROUSLY HOT water - so it must be the adjustment. Ultimately when showering the hot and cold water mix to be non-scalding therefore you should get way more than 6 gallons of "hot" water for a shower. Just keep an eye on that gray-tank though - long showers contribute quite a bit.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:56 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Galena , Illinois
hot hot water

Rob C If your water is way to hot just adjust it before entering. Hot water is a good thing. If your afraid a child could get burned then follow A W Warn's 2 minute "how too film". Except instead of turning the dial up turn it down. Do a little turn, test the water and repeat.
75Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:57 PM   #9
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
A quick update even though it's been a while.
My hot water mysteriously began to seem hotter before I could begin the task of one of the fixes above, without me doing a thing to it. I decided to leave well enough alone and am content.
Go figure...