Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2010, 03:13 PM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
OH CRAP(er)

I removed the toilet today in order to put in new linoleum. Surprise surprise, the project quickly became more complicated. The flange has some rust and I am not sure the assembly would go back together (it had developed some wobble). I gather that the original flange is no longer available. Are the flange/upright bolt sizes standardized across the industry, or am I looking at a new toilet as well?

I guess I might as well ask what people favorite poopers are and where they got em.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Rodney,

Have you ever given it a thought to install a baday toilet? It may just help save on water by limiting the need for a shower when boondocking.
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
I bought a new plastic floor flange at the local hardware store that fit my 1967. I also bought all the parts at the same store(True Value) to rebuild my original toilet. Adios, John
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:02 PM   #4
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel1 View Post
I bought a new plastic floor flange at the local hardware store that fit my 1967. I also bought all the parts at the same store(True Value) to rebuild my original toilet. Adios, John
John, my toilet is held to the flange by two long bolts with dohickies on the bottom that go into slots in the flange. Turning the bolts turns the dohickies and locks them and the toilet in place. Is this how your toilet was attached?

Old 02-18-2010, 06:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Yes, altho I believe I have 4 bolts holding my toilet to the flange. I'll look when i get home and report back tomorrow. Adios, John
Old 02-18-2010, 06:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
you should be able to get a proper flange at OODMart or regular RV supply shop....I did.. to get the old one off you may need to make an "airstream blak tank wrench" out of angle iron with a grinder... see my thread '69 Safari Bath Floor Repair for details.... thanks to Pizzachop, Zep, and others for hippin' me to dis...
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:57 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Colleyville , Texas
I just made my first pilgrimage to Camping World. They had a great selection of everything RV. Might have a few poopers to choose from. Check them out.
LisaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:04 PM   #8
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy Gem View Post
Rodney,

Have you ever given it a thought to install a baday toilet? It may just help save on water by limiting the need for a shower when boondocking.
Do you mean a "bidet"?

Um, I don't think a bidet is a toilet, it's meant for washing yer privates, to put it bluntly. They do NOT flush in the normal fashion...

Unless you've discovered one that's equipped for both functions? A bidet, for example, has no lid or ring to sit on.

Anyways, please paste a link if you've found something new or interesting?
Old 02-18-2010, 07:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
They do have models that serves both functions - a google search "bidet toilet combo" yielded many links . . .
Old 02-18-2010, 07:16 PM   #10
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
They do have models that serves both functions - a google search "bidet toilet combo" yielded many links . . .
I thought you were kidding. I'm not forward thinking enough to go that route. But I am proud that I haven't worked a 'turn the other cheek' joke into the thread.....

Old 02-18-2010, 07:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
No joke intended, really. Just thought that it could be something to help make things more usable and at the same time more efficient.

It looks, however, that the combos are rather expensive!
Old 02-18-2010, 07:28 PM   #12
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
No joke intended, really. Just thought that it could be something to help make things more usable and at the same time more efficient.

It looks, however, that the combos are rather expensive!
Well, it would make coffee redundant on a cold morning. That would wake a guy up

Old 02-18-2010, 07:33 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
Well, it would make coffee redundant on a cold morning. That would wake a guy up

Yea, that may be the case . . . at least during the cold months!
Old 02-18-2010, 08:05 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Hence:
Quote:
... baday toilet? ...
Old 02-19-2010, 07:17 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
My toilet is a Sealand, model 910. It has 4 bolts holding it to the flange. Adios, John
Old 02-19-2010, 09:52 AM   #16
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Lucky break!

In an all to rare lucky break, while the flange was all rusted making it unusable, the screws had also degraded making it fairly easy to dislodge them from the floor. And the big shock was the flange screwed right out like it would on one of those DYI repair shows and didn't require explosives like in my normal life.

I also went ahead and bit the bullet on replacing the toilet, figuring it was all apart and the new seat did look a lot more comfy. They are also on sale at PPL so why not? I went with the Dometic Traveler Lite 210 with sprayer in the bone color.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:56 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
And the big shock was the flange screwed right out like it would on one of those DYI repair shows and didn't require explosives like in my normal life.
Now quickly run out and buy a Lotto ticket...

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:41 AM   #18
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverleeper View Post
Now quickly run out and buy a Lotto ticket...
Playing both the big games this week

Old 02-19-2010, 04:18 PM   #19
Proud Owner Vintage SBB

Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
How's this for trailer talk?

Folks, its time to leave medieval toilet habits behind (pardon the pun)! The 21st century is waiting for you to catch up. Wiping your keister with a handful of paper just doesn't compare to the sanitary elegance of the modern bidet toilet seat. And once you start using it, well... I've never felt fresher! (My wife says she wishes she had this device when she was still menstruating.) What I'll save on toilet paper over the next, uh... 200 years, will pay for the device.

Two bathrooms in our home have toilets equipped with Toto Washlet bidet seats. <http://www.totousa.com/Default.aspx?tabid=88> They require 120VAC to operate, but they have heated water, heated seats, heater air drying, stream oscillation and pulsation -- all adjustable -- and some other features, all of them controlled by a wireless remote. My little 1955 riveted aluminum airframe trailer, 15' ball coupler to rear bumper, has a new Thetford Aqua Magic Plus (china bowl) toilet, and a 12 gallon black tank.

But no factory Thetford bidet seat. However I have located and shall hopefully acquire and install a decent little unit that will do the job -- the Smart Bidet SM 100. <http://www.idealm1.com/Smart_Bidet.php> I don't have a water heater in my little railer (no shower, no need) My onboard fresh watertank is above the floor, inside the trailer, actually below the stove/oven, so I don't need water heating, anyway.

The "big trailer" Airstream owners can shop for bidet seats here <http://www.mydispenser.com/Bidet/bedit-menu.html> It'll soon become your favorite appliance, I guarantee it.

Spartanaciously yours,
Michael
"Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands... A journey, in fact, appeals to Imagination, to Memory, to Hope,—the three sister Graces of our moral being.’
Sir Richard Francis Burton
'55 Airlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:34 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Bidet

Quote:
In an all to rare lucky break, while the flange was all rusted making it unusable, the screws had also degraded making it fairly easy to dislodge them from the floor. And the big shock was the flange screwed right out like it would on one of those DYI repair shows and didn't require explosives like in my normal life.

I also went ahead and bit the bullet on replacing the toilet, figuring it was all apart and the new seat did look a lot more comfy. They are also on sale at PPL so why not? I went with the Dometic Traveler Lite 210 with sprayer in the bone color.
You got the sprayer,now all you need is a hot water line and a mixing valve,WOW,you have a bidet.Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote