Old 07-07-2005, 07:17 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

No sh*tter for me

I bought a '61 Overlander and we are in the process of gutting it. The only part we have left to tear out is the bath,shower and sink. So it's really hot out right now and I started thinking about just eliminating the bath all together. You would eliminate smells, water problems, ect. Has anyone ever done this? Are there any issues to be aware of? It just seems easier for me considering I would probably never use the bath anyway. Any thoughts?

Old 07-07-2005, 07:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Where would you sit to read the paper, or your popular mechanics magazines? I'd reconsider.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 07:54 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
No sh*tter for me

Greetings sparks!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Overlander ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks
I bought a '61 Overlander and we are in the process of gutting it. The only part we have left to tear out is the bath,shower and sink. So it's really hot out right now and I started thinking about just eliminating the bath all together. You would eliminate smells, water problems, ect. Has anyone ever done this? Are there any issues to be aware of? It just seems easier for me considering I would probably never use the bath anyway. Any thoughts?
I would also urge you to reconsider. The bathroom is a true asset in a coach IMHO. Some things that you might want to consider:
  • In the Midwest, it isn't uncommon to find campgrounds with bathhouses that are not air conditioned -- it is wonderful to be able to have fully temperature controlled facilities in the coach when the temperature and humidity are both in the high 90s.
  • Caravans often park in primitive or semi-primitive areas where bathing facilities are not provided -- the on-board facilities then become indispensible.
  • Rallys often are held in the middle of large fields where bathhouses aren't provided and the outhouses may be few and far between -- again, the on-board facilities become indispensible.
  • When traveling, it is always reassuring to know that you have a clean bathroom as close as the coach behind your tow vehicle (I rarely use public facilities when traveling with either of my coaches).
  • While it may be the furthest thing from your mind at the current time, resale value could also be negatively impacted by lack of a functional bathroom in a coach the size of an Overlander.

Good luck with your project!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 08:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
We use our bathroom when going down the highway. There are times that its just much more convient to use it rather than use the public facility which may or may not be available. Airstreams are fully self contained, that is one of the may beauties of them. A 2 am trip to the campground facility or to sit on a log in the woods doesn't do much for me. Hope you reconsider.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 08:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Sparks,

I had the same thought but my wife quickly disabused me of that notion.

Like usual, she was right.

The bathroom is probably the best part of our Overlander and it really is nice to have a private "facility" and with 7 children, it has come in handy on more than one occasion at fuel stops or even roadside.

With some elbow grease and 2-part epoxy (as well as new appliances, heck...a few $$$) you can have a really nice "facility".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bathroom2.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	13233  
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 08:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Sparks, my soon to be ex-Champion 25'er was a bookmobile in a prior life. It never had a head, kitchen, H20. Like so many sailboats in my past I always explained the use of the bucket as, "if you use it you have to clean it." Few used the portapotti and many used the bucket. Most were happy to go for a short swim when in need.

My sales pitch to the potential buyers of the old coach is "nothing to smell, nothing to clean." It's served me well over the last 18 months and 42,000 miles.

Now of course I have the new Airstream with head, plumbing needing repair, microwave and inop refridgerator. Just to keep me busy while I'm boon docking at Wal-Mart over the next few months.

Sam's water bottles work wonders in the middle of the night but the significant other sometimes travels with me and says, "I hate you." when she hears me in relief mode. Sooooo... it kinda depends on your travel partner and where you'll spend your nights.

I'm easy, could go either way.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 09:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

I have said this before.
I think porta potties are more conveniant than a built in throne.

The most important thing in my trailer is
my bed, then heat, THEN MY SHOWER.

I will say though.......scrapping the bathroom will save you space , money and weight. And most likely give you more sleeping capacity.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Something kinda mentioned above is the porta potty - they can be handy to use - easy to dump - I have never used a shower in a trailer.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 11:33 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

i am one that was driving around new jersey one night at 2 am looking for a hotel and the urge hit me..........i was in a caddalac so there was no head................ended up having to squat behind a dempsy dumpster. what i would of given for a airstream toilet....also think of all the germs and crabs you could get from a public toilet...........leave the bathroom in, you wont be sorry!!
Old 07-07-2005, 11:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J
I have never used a shower in a trailer.

Ken
I've been meaning to talk to you about this Ken....

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 01:02 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

i also have this thing about showering with strangers....yuk!
but if you must remove it, the best place to do what you have to do is a hospital...they usually have very clean restrooms! never in a gas station..........never in a resturant.............not even a truck stop......
Old 07-08-2005, 07:29 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Wink Shots in the dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
Sparks, my soon to be ex-Champion 25'er was a bookmobile in a prior life. It never had a head, kitchen, H20. Like so many sailboats in my past I always explained the use of the bucket as, "if you use it you have to clean it." Few used the portapotti and many used the bucket. Most were happy to go for a short swim when in need.

My sales pitch to the potential buyers of the old coach is "nothing to smell, nothing to clean." It's served me well over the last 18 months and 42,000 miles.

Now of course I have the new Airstream with head, plumbing needing repair, microwave and inop refridgerator. Just to keep me busy while I'm boon docking at Wal-Mart over the next few months.

Sam's water bottles work wonders in the middle of the night but the significant other sometimes travels with me and says, "I hate you." when she hears me in relief mode. Sooooo... it kinda depends on your travel partner and where you'll spend your nights.

I'm easy, could go either way.
Glen this whole thread is borderline (MMTINTK)much more than I need to know, but you know inquiring minds.....

So what exactly is a Sam's Water Bottle, and dare I ask what exactly do you put in it?
You are obviously quite the marksman.

Flicka
Old 07-08-2005, 08:33 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
There's an alternative

www.bumperdumper.com

Privacy? Undoing your hitch? Flies & other flying critters?

I vote for keeping the bathroom.

Tin Lizzie
Old 07-08-2005, 08:35 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Paula how did you make out with your sway brace? Hope to see you next weekend. Rick

Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote