Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-28-2010, 01:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Upland , California
No hot water in the shower

My wife and I have a 05' 28Ft CCD, and on our last trip while we were drycamping at Jalama Beach in northern Ca we were sorry to discover we could not get any hot water in the shower. All other faucets in the rig worked just fine and when I opened the access panel in the wardrobe next to the shower stall I could feel hot water in the PEX tubing feeding the shower valve. Anyone else have this problem, or any advice on how to solve this chilly problem .
Kestrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
A couple of quick questions:

* Have you previously had hot water in the shower?

* Do you have cold water in the shower?

* Have you recently repaired or replaced something associated the hot water?
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:57 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Upland , California
Yes, hot water has been available in the shower before. Although now that I think about it, this may have been the first attempt at a hot shower while dry camping.

Cold water is flowing just fine, as I turn the water valve from the cold area to the hot the water slows and stops, I am assuming as the cold water slows to allow the hot water to mix. Turning back from hot to cold restores water flow.

No, recent repairs or alterations to the water system.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:06 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Springfield , Illinois
Don't know what faucet you have, but if like mine, a 1980 Excella, it is a Moen faucet. Possible that the cartridge is plugged. Happens often on new construction of homes. Could be plugged on the hot side in the cartridge itself.

Good luck
Riverrat6270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Upland , California
Riverrat,

Yup, the faucet is a Moen. You mention a "cartridge", I 've broken the shower side down to the stem. Is that whole valve portion a "cartridge", that can be removed without taking the whole valve assembly out?

Old 05-28-2010, 05:42 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
You probably need a new cartridge (I recently had the same problem). They are available at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. The new one will come with a special little plastic adapter that will facilitate the removal of the old one. You will not have to remove the whole assembly, thank goodness.
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:33 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Ponderay , Idaho
This happened to us last year and we replaced the cartridge. We were told that sometimes you can soak them in vinegar and they will open up again. Good Luck

Leslie
Tincrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:17 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
Don't spend a dime....

Moen cartridges are guaranteed for life.

Contact them for a free replacement.

They'll even send you the special tool that you need to remove the old one !

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
While you are waiting for Moen to send you one,shut off the water,remove clip,see if the cartridge out if it will come out ,take the cartridge out,take it apart,hold plastic and push brass part out thru the back. Grease all the parts,put it back together,note it says hot & cold on cartridge,have the writing up. Now it should work.
Your valve is so easy to get to ,I would be tempted to throw that Moen away and install a Kohler valve. We have this problem every fall when the snow birds come back,if the Moen valve is not used it freezes up and won`t balance. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:00 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Colleyville , Texas
This happen to us with our Moen faucet. It was the cartridge. It was covered under warranty.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:19 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Upland , California
Thanks everyone, as always great advice. Pulled the old valve out and replaced it. We are headed out this weekend so I spent the extra bucks instead of chasing Moen down for a new one. VERY glad I didn't have to remove the whole thing!
Old 05-28-2010, 09:46 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmrcaptevil View Post
You probably need a new cartridge. You will not have to remove the whole assembly, thank goodness.
Hi, maybe you will, I did. That is remove the whole valve assembly. My valve fits through a plywood wall and the shower plastic wall. The horse shoe clip is inside of the wall area and cannot be removed with the valve in place. I bought my valve cartridge at Home Depot; For me, it wouldn't be worth it to wait for a new part. [warranty] I have to pull my trailer forward to work on it and put it back when done and I don't want to move it twice for one job.

Note: late post, but may be helpfull for other's with this problem.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote