Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2005, 07:59 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

newbie here

Well I am thankful I've found this place, I think.
I just found a set of rules on buying an older Airstream on this forum, I seem to have broken them all. I am 51 and my wife and I have wanted an Airstream for years, but we like the old ones. I just bought a '64 overlander. Bought the first one I looked at, from someone who had traded a boat for the trailer. He knew nothing about it, just hadn't been able to sell the boat and thought the trailer might sell quicker, it did. He thought most everything worked. Well I didn't give much for it, I guess that comes now.
Anyway after all that, I have been looking for a name on the toilet, it won't hold water in the bowl, must be some kind of seal. I see a name "Saniware" on a base part and swirlomatic on a metal ring. All I see in a catalog of RV parts is Thetford stuff. Is this the same brand? What all typically needs repair on these things?
Thanks Joe
okjoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 08:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by okjoek
Well I am thankful I've found this place, I think.
I just found a set of rules on buying an older Airstream on this forum, I seem to have broken them all. I am 51 and my wife and I have wanted an Airstream for years, but we like the old ones. I just bought a '64 overlander. Bought the first one I looked at, from someone who had traded a boat for the trailer. He knew nothing about it, just hadn't been able to sell the boat and thought the trailer might sell quicker, it did. He thought most everything worked. Well I didn't give much for it, I guess that comes now.
Anyway after all that, I have been looking for a name on the toilet, it won't hold water in the bowl, must be some kind of seal. I see a name "Saniware" on a base part and swirlomatic on a metal ring. All I see in a catalog of RV parts is Thetford stuff. Is this the same brand? What all typically needs repair on these things?
Thanks Joe

Joe

Welcome to the forum, I know how you feel when you say you wanted an Airstream for years, I think we all did.
I would like to suggest that you spend some time searching the forums to get a feel for what type of information is available to you each time you need to perform a repair. i.e. toilet trouble. It may be cheaper in the long run to pitch the old one and just put in a new toilet.
Good luck, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask, and it costs you money.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Yikes! Most folks I know in vintage circles really prefer the old vitreous china toilets to the modern plastic versions. Don't pitch it, even if you decide you don't want to bother with it! You may end up regretting it.

If it's a fairly simple toilet (our 61 just has a spring loaded flap), it's probably repairable, with a bit of fussing. With good springs and seals, the toilet will work easily and efficiently (and believe it or not, it seals out the smells, too). Otherwise, you may have to get it professionally fixed (or give up and get a new one). You can probably clear your old one at a vintage rally, through the classifieds here or ebay.

More to the point--how closely have you looked at the structural side of this trailer? That's probably the most important thing to consider now. Also, have you tested all of the systems?

Mary
Old 06-21-2005, 10:53 AM   #4
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
I go with fireflyinva on this one. When I have need to plop my royal behind on a toilet, I want a solid throne to sit on, not a flimsy plastic device.
Ahhh..... a porcelain toilet and a copy of Airstream Life magazine. Life is good!

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 12:12 PM   #5
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
There are several china toilets on the market now that are great. Check out the sealand line. They look and feel like the old stuff with out the busted parts. We replaced our plastic one with the sealand traveler lite model - no leaks, no cracks (no pun intended) no worries.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 01:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
I think it depends on the vintage of the trailer...The older systems are simpler, easier to maintain and repair. There is a considerable market still out there for vintage comodes (we've been asked several times to sell ours), so it seems that some folks don't find the newer ones quite match the old ones.

But I don't know much about a 64 model, much less the complicated plumbing of a 77. I do know that the toilet in our 61 was never intended to retain liquid in the bowl. If yours is similar, then the liquid seeping characteristic is a design feature, not a leak. Still, it may need a new spring.

Mary
Old 06-21-2005, 06:46 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Wow, thanks for all the responses. You are right I'm sure, use the search feature before you ask a question that has been asked dozens of times. I am glad to hear water isn't supposed to stay in the bowl, that does make sense, no more sloshing than necessary. I will look to see on this forum what was the standard unit in 64. I would assume there would be a standard brand.
As for the structural of the trailer I'm sure I need axils, but for now I believe I will just replace the bearings. There are about 5 or 6 lakes about 30 to 45 minutes away and for the summer thats all we'll do. This winter I'll try to get the tires and axils done.
The stove works, haven't checked the oven or the furnace. Right now I don't care if the furnace works. I haven't found any gas leaks. I also haven't checked the water heater. The water pump seems to be missing, at least I can't find it though when I put water in the tank it ran out a line that wasn't connected to anything, I guess the pump's position. I fixed all the faucets and leaks in the lines, it wasn't too bad. The air conditioner cools but the fan doesn't blow, that will have to be addressed
I think I am close to trying it out. I am leaving town for New Orleans on Friday (26 wedding anniversary and the wife thinks we need to do something) so I can't play this weekend.
Joe
Old 06-21-2005, 07:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Hello fellow Okie. I'm in Chandler, just down Route 66 from you. It's good to have someone else on the forum from here. I have a "new" 78 Argosy that my husband and I are restoring. We are having fun. I don't know too much about toilet repairs because mine works. But I will say that it doesn't "hold" water. It's only problem is the Harvert Gold thing. I'm White Coating the tub and sink; however, I may leave the toilet as my tribute to the 70's.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 07:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
...Check out the sealand line. They look and feel like the old stuff with out the busted parts. We replaced our plastic one with the sealand traveler lite model ...
Last year about this time (before she was a Moderator ), I PMed Janet after reading a post about her & Gary's throne selection asking for more details. Based on her experience, I ordered Sealand's Traveller Lite toilet. Wonderful selection, and it fit my available space to a "T".

I "second" Janet's recommendation. And Janet, if I forgot to follow up, "Thanks!"

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 08:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Happy Aniversary and congratulations for staying together for so long! She (or you) must have been a keeper.

Can't say that too many people respect their wedding vows these days.

Does the fridge work? Good luck with your trailer. As for me, mine pulls itself!
Old 06-21-2005, 09:11 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

I forgot to mention the fridge. Its been replaced with a Kenmore, just electric.

Joe
Old 06-22-2005, 01:07 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Question Too Much Info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog0525
I go with fireflyinva on this one. When I have need to plop my royal behind on a toilet, I want a solid throne to sit on, not a flimsy plastic device.
Ahhh..... a porcelain toilet and a copy of Airstream Life magazine. Life is good!
My NEW CCD has porcelain! Let us pray that the plastic toilet era has gone forever.

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 01:14 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Angry Don't forget to clean the seal

Forgot to mention, I got this funny little plastic tongue depressor looking thing with my new Airstream... but it had tiny velcro like bristles on one end. Boy am I glad I read my manuals before putting it to any alternate use.

There are detailed instructions on how to clean the seal with this thing, but first I think I'll put a hole in the handle and tether it with a long nylon cord.... wouldn't want to lose it down the black tank.

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 07:33 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Is the water pump supposed to be located in the rear compartment?
Old 06-24-2005, 12:38 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Is the water pump supposed to be located in the rear compartment?
On a 1964 trailer, yes, the water pump originally was in the rear compartment, which remains an excellent place to install your replacement water pump.

You can download a copy of the 1964 Airstream catalog from the Vintage Airstream Club (VAC) web site, here:

http://airstream.net/members/documents/catalogs/

Select 1964 to download. The catalog will give you some useful information on your trailer. Having a 1964 19' Globe Trotter, I'm partial to '64 Airstreams. When my Globe Trotter grows up, it wants to become an Overlander.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 07:46 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Thanks Fred,

Thats pretty funny, yours growing up. I want to ask, when you have three trailers listed under your profile, does that mean you have three now or have had in the past?
I think I am going to leave the toilet alone for now, maybe after reading these post it works as it is supposed to. Not only do I not want to create work for myself, I REALLY don't want to create it in that area.
I need to play with the electrical some. It works I believe plugged in, but I can see someone has been very creative with the 12 volt system. I don't really think it matters too much right now as we will be plugged in all summer. I do need to work on the ac however. The unit cools but fan doesn't turn, then blows the breaker. You can turn the unit by hand and it is smooth, just won't do buy itself.
Got to catch a plane, thanks again for all the responses. An active forum is a happy forum.
Joe
Old 06-24-2005, 08:51 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Happy anniversary!

Good job with the plumbing! You may have a water system like ours--there was no pump, but there is a valve for attaching a bicycle pump to pressurize it. We plan to get a pump in (actually two, but too much to explain right now), fwiw!

Have you checked your flooring for rot? Sounds like you've been probing it to get at the pipes. Are all the side connections solid and the frame fully attached? That's another issue we've been dealing with (see the beginning of my blog for the whole dirty story).

Don't worry about a heater for now! If you want, start looking now for a "Portable Buddy Heater" on sale or used (you may get a deal this time of year). It's essentially a portable catalytic heater--and will give you good heat until you decide what to do down the road. There are lots of options to consider. When you've found your solution, the heater is also nice to bring out to early/late season rallies--you'll be a popular fellow if you bring a heater to happy hour!

Mary

Quote:
Wow, thanks for all the responses. You are right I'm sure, use the search feature before you ask a question that has been asked dozens of times. I am glad to hear water isn't supposed to stay in the bowl, that does make sense, no more sloshing than necessary. I will look to see on this forum what was the standard unit in 64. I would assume there would be a standard brand.
As for the structural of the trailer I'm sure I need axils, but for now I believe I will just replace the bearings. There are about 5 or 6 lakes about 30 to 45 minutes away and for the summer thats all we'll do. This winter I'll try to get the tires and axils done.
The stove works, haven't checked the oven or the furnace. Right now I don't care if the furnace works. I haven't found any gas leaks. I also haven't checked the water heater. The water pump seems to be missing, at least I can't find it though when I put water in the tank it ran out a line that wasn't connected to anything, I guess the pump's position. I fixed all the faucets and leaks in the lines, it wasn't too bad. The air conditioner cools but the fan doesn't blow, that will have to be addressed
I think I am close to trying it out. I am leaving town for New Orleans on Friday (26 wedding anniversary and the wife thinks we need to do something) so I can't play this weekend.
Joe