Old 06-24-2005, 12:38 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Originally Posted by okjoek
Is the water pump supposed to be located in the rear compartment?
On a 1964 trailer, yes, the water pump originally was in the rear compartment, which remains an excellent place to install your replacement water pump.

You can download a copy of the 1964 Airstream catalog from the Vintage Airstream Club (VAC) web site, here:

Select 1964 to download. The catalog will give you some useful information on your trailer. Having a 1964 19' Globe Trotter, I'm partial to '64 Airstreams. When my Globe Trotter grows up, it wants to become an Overlander.

Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 07:46 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member
Thanks Fred,

Thats pretty funny, yours growing up. I want to ask, when you have three trailers listed under your profile, does that mean you have three now or have had in the past?
I think I am going to leave the toilet alone for now, maybe after reading these post it works as it is supposed to. Not only do I not want to create work for myself, I REALLY don't want to create it in that area.
I need to play with the electrical some. It works I believe plugged in, but I can see someone has been very creative with the 12 volt system. I don't really think it matters too much right now as we will be plugged in all summer. I do need to work on the ac however. The unit cools but fan doesn't turn, then blows the breaker. You can turn the unit by hand and it is smooth, just won't do buy itself.
Got to catch a plane, thanks again for all the responses. An active forum is a happy forum.

okjoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 08:51 AM   #17
Rivet Master
1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Happy anniversary!

Good job with the plumbing! You may have a water system like ours--there was no pump, but there is a valve for attaching a bicycle pump to pressurize it. We plan to get a pump in (actually two, but too much to explain right now), fwiw!

Have you checked your flooring for rot? Sounds like you've been probing it to get at the pipes. Are all the side connections solid and the frame fully attached? That's another issue we've been dealing with (see the beginning of my blog for the whole dirty story).

Don't worry about a heater for now! If you want, start looking now for a "Portable Buddy Heater" on sale or used (you may get a deal this time of year). It's essentially a portable catalytic heater--and will give you good heat until you decide what to do down the road. There are lots of options to consider. When you've found your solution, the heater is also nice to bring out to early/late season rallies--you'll be a popular fellow if you bring a heater to happy hour!

Originally Posted by okjoek
Wow, thanks for all the responses. You are right I'm sure, use the search feature before you ask a question that has been asked dozens of times. I am glad to hear water isn't supposed to stay in the bowl, that does make sense, no more sloshing than necessary. I will look to see on this forum what was the standard unit in 64. I would assume there would be a standard brand.
As for the structural of the trailer I'm sure I need axils, but for now I believe I will just replace the bearings. There are about 5 or 6 lakes about 30 to 45 minutes away and for the summer thats all we'll do. This winter I'll try to get the tires and axils done.
The stove works, haven't checked the oven or the furnace. Right now I don't care if the furnace works. I haven't found any gas leaks. I also haven't checked the water heater. The water pump seems to be missing, at least I can't find it though when I put water in the tank it ran out a line that wasn't connected to anything, I guess the pump's position. I fixed all the faucets and leaks in the lines, it wasn't too bad. The air conditioner cools but the fan doesn't blow, that will have to be addressed
I think I am close to trying it out. I am leaving town for New Orleans on Friday (26 wedding anniversary and the wife thinks we need to do something) so I can't play this weekend.

Our Airstream adventure continues!
Read the details at Tales of the Toaster
fireflyinva is offline   Reply With Quote