Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Lanesboro , Minnesota
New Toilet Won't Fit!!!

As I am finishing up the restoration of my 72 Argosy 20, wifey asked to pleeze put a new toilet in it so I called Thetford and they told me to order Thetford Braveria in the low profile as it is a direct replacement for the original which I did. It arrived today and it clearly doesn't fit. It is 3 inches taller and the back dimensions from the center of the outlet to the rear is 2 inches greater caused by the back of the toilet impinging on the medicine cabinet behind the toilet. As I don't want to dig into anything yet, am i I missing something? Any solution???
Haoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Thetford is simply wrong about the "exact replacement" of the Bravura for the original Aqua Magic, at least as the original is installed in the Argosy 20. I ran into the exact same problem in my '74 Argosy 20'. I did install the Bravura but it required cutting out the plastic of the silly little storage compartment above the toilet. Then you will find the pipes to the shower valve run through that plastic. I covered the pipes in a different manner, and fabricated closures for the plastic area I removed. It fits that way, and I do like the larger Bravura toilet, but you may not wish to modify things the way I did. I don't know if there is another low profile toilet made by anyone else that would fit better.

I wish I had a nicer answer for you, but the Bravura does not fit into the Argosy 20, no matter that Thetford says it is an "exact replacement".
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Lanesboro , Minnesota
Well, I guess it's time to get out the Sawzall again. Sheesh! I thought I was done with mods. Yes, I like the new toilet and that ridiculous little cabinet behind the toilet is useless anyway and who wants toiletries in the p zone! A nice piece of metal trim should do the trick. Do you have a picture of yours???
Old 10-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
I bought a Dometic Traveler Lite.

Dometic - PPL Motor Homes

It is porcelain and has a small plastic cover over the vacuum breaker which I left off. It just fits under the cabinet. I had to remove the door to get the seat and cover to open all the way. I still have to fit a new door but I like the toilet.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
I bought a Dometic Traveler Lite.

Dometic - PPL Motor Homes

It is porcelain and has a small plastic cover over the vacuum breaker which I left off. It just fits under the cabinet. I had to remove the door to get the seat and cover to open all the way. I still have to fit a new door but I like the toilet.

Cheers, Dan
I hope you only left the cover off because.....
Vacuum breakers are there for a reason. It basicly keeps you from drinking the toilet water and getting very sick.

regards, Dave the certified backfow tester.
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:40 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Robstown , Texas
I bought the Dometic 310 Porcelain Toilet with powerflush and swirl jet action for my Silver Streak. It's wonderful, just like home, and fit into RV without any trouble. So great... my son, my Mom, and my best friend all got one for their RV's. Everyone else has different years of Airstreams.
silvergirl22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigventure View Post
I hope you only left the cover off because.....
Vacuum breakers are there for a reason. It basicly keeps you from drinking the toilet water and getting very sick.

regards, Dave the certified backfow tester.
Yes Dave, just the cover. I only needed about 1/8" and considered trimming the cover but the way it sits under the cabinet you really can't see it unless you know to look for it. If I remember correctly the Dometic Traveler has a porcelain bulge over the vacuum breaker where the Traveler Lite has the removable plastic cover.

Thanks for the concern, Dan
Old 10-24-2012, 04:34 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Lanesboro , Minnesota
After looking at the dimensions on the porcelain toilet, I don't think it would fit in the Argosy 20. The issue is that these new toilets are 14 " high and the original was only 11". I didn't see a centerline of the drain to the back dimension which is critical too.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:59 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Lanesboro , Minnesota
After doing some additional research, I am ordering the Sealand-Dometic Traveler Lite. It still will require some mods but much less than the Braveria. Did your original flange work or did you have to get their adapter for the 4 bolt mount?
Old 10-24-2012, 07:36 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Similar problem with our 67 AS. For ours, the critical measurements are the one from middle of hole to back of toilet, and the overall height. Height was a fairly easy problem to solve (order a short toilet), but hole-to-back distance was a mess.

The PO (bless his ignorant heart) had already replaced the toilet with one that doesn't fit well and had done some ugly cutting as a result. The new ones were going to make a larger mess out of the PO's smaller one. For that reason, I ordered a rebuild kit for the Dometic (new rubber gaskets), did the rebuild yesterday afternoon.

Lynn
Old 10-24-2012, 09:53 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Lanesboro , Minnesota
Well, I continued to tear into the bathroom. I removed the flange (Gee, it screws into the tank!) That's odd. My local plumbing supply house never heard of a screw in flange so I tried Amazon and no luck but found one from vintage trailer Supply with the 4 bolt pattern. This is getting to be a bigger project than I expected. I'm getting tempted to just slap the old toilet back on and not mess with it. It does work. Only reason I removed it is the base gasket was out of place.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
I had to replace my flange to a 4 bolt. We have a couple of local RV supply/repair shops and they both stocked the flanges. It was pretty easy to replace.

Cheers, Dan
Old 10-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Love the adjective on a familiar phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
... The PO (bless his ignorant heart) had ...
I too went with the Travelor Lite about eight years ago. The only issue has been the anti-siphon valve falling apart a few years ago due to a poor choice of plastic on their part.

But I am absolutely NOT saying they chose that particular plastic just because it would fall apart & make most people replace the entire toilet.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:45 PM   #14
Kustom Argosy '72

1972 Argosy 20
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haoleman View Post
After doing some additional research, I am ordering the Sealand-Dometic Traveler Lite. It still will require some mods but much less than the Braveria. Did your original flange work or did you have to get their adapter for the 4 bolt mount?
What model# Sealand-Dometic Traveler Lite did you end up getting for your Airstream? I have the same issue currently and I want to order one but not sure what model to get... Please advise!
ArgosyinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote