Old 12-15-2014, 07:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
New Faucet?

Called a plumber to put our new faucet in hte kitchen our 1999 Excella. I cannot do that..who can?

Old 12-15-2014, 07:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Not sure what th problem is. Are you saying that plumber said he could not replace a faucet or that you can not?
Faucet replacement is one of the easiest trailer repair projects. Back off a couple of nuts, pull the hoses, back off a couple of more nuts and remove old faucet. Reverse procedure to install new faucet. The instructions that come with the new faucet are generally very clear and easy to follow. Also nothing special about faucets in trailers. They are available at any hardware store or Amazon. Plenty of videos on YouTube to guide you in the process.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:33 PM   #3
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
How not to do it.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by badkat View Post
Called a plumber to put our new faucet in hte kitchen our 1999 Excella. I cannot do that..who can?
We need a little more information to give you an meaningful answer.

It's easy to change out the faucet IF the replacement faucet fits the existing holes in the countertop. I change the kitchen faucet in my 99 Excella in about 30-40 minutes.

If the new faucet does not fit the existing holes or the countertop is damaged, then it's a problem. A new countertop or repairing the countertop is not something a plumber will normally do.

If you still have the original faucet that was installed in the 99 Excella, it is warrantied forever. I called the faucet manufacturer and they offered me free replacement parts or a new faucet for a very small fee + shipping. I got the new faucet.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I replaced the faucet in my trailer's bath room to a taller one with a single handle. The mounting holes were the same, but the water lines were a bit different. I had to shorten the PEX lines for it to fit. I had to buy a PEX crimping tool and some copper rings to do this job. If you can't do it, call an RV mechanic.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Sorry for the late response..working at Amazon..just about finished..yeah! OK the plumber looked under the sink and our cabinet has a shelf. He said he could not reach the faucet under the underneath with the shelf. I do not know if that is original or not or added by the PO.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Sorry for the late response..working at Amazon..just about finished..yeah! OK the plumber looked under the sink and our cabinet has a shelf. He said he could not reach the faucet under the underneath with the shelf. I do not know if that is original or not or added by the PO.
Wow, just about any plumber I've ever worked with relished a challenge (they charge by the hour, remember!) If the shelf is the issue, I wonder if it can simply be removed and then reinstalled after the faucet has been changed?
Old 12-18-2014, 05:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Yes, it is a little difficult to get to it. But it is do-able. If it's like mine that cabinet shelf is shallow because it is bumped out at the wheel well. I had to remove everything from the cabinet, then stick my head inside while contorting my body in a position to get my hands in there.

The original faucet was a Moen (I think) single lever with the pullout hose incorporated into the spout. If that is what you have, there is a schematic in the owners manual, or I can send you a schematic drawing, that shows the nuts that hold it onto the cabinet. PM by email if you need the drawing.
Once you look at the drawing, I think you will see how easy it is to do it yourself. Just unscrew the pipe fittings. Remove a couple nuts. Remove the faucet. Install in reverse. That's it!
Old 12-20-2014, 07:16 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
We have the schematic..thanks! Guess he was too big to do the job. Happy Holidays
Old 12-20-2014, 07:18 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
He did not charge and called Dad over to look also..kinda funny but it will get done.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:27 PM   #11
The Hamilton Express

1971 27' Overlander
Chicago , Illinois
Nice work! I would have done the same thing...twice. :-) I call those jobs an "Adam Special". Takes twice as long but you usually learn something for the future. I am getting ready to redo my '71 Airstream. Much fun to come!
Old 01-02-2015, 02:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Gotta bring it to Top of Georgia AS Park. We are here now backed up to the creek. I know it is winter in the mtns and raining but make the most of every moment is my motto.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:25 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2011 28' International
Stillwater (last known) , United States
the rig / 2011 28ft International Serenity

I'm in a sorta similar situation - Have had it with the factory original faucet, crappy handle and now water flow issues that a dealer failed to resolve. So I pick up an IKEA faucet in Portland - the fit is spot on, no pull out to simplify things (we never used it anyway) - I'm half way into pulling the faucet and I realize that a) The IKEA leads are threaded female nut, while the AS leads are threaded males pieces. So the threading configuration is reversed between the two. b) The IKEA standard leads are smaller then the Airstream leads and water supply hoses. . .

Besides modifying the water source hoses on the Airstream side (with all the crimping, etc) are there any plumbing adapters to be had? I'm on the phone tomorrow buggin' the heck out of service people. . .

My somewhat paranoid first response this is one of Airstream's ways to restrict DYI fixes. . . cheers
Old 01-11-2015, 07:31 PM   #14
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I'm about to do the same, interesting to hear about that Nick. Have you looked into Shark Bite Fittings, they make really easy to use fittings for Pex piping to adapt to more modern fittings. have used them in the past with great success.