Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post

Ok, it's what I mean , not what I say! , They don't make the small head water saver unit with the powerful blast.

This one:

http://www.oxygenics.com/Shower-Head...ower-Head.html

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Saline , Michigan
I have what I believe to be the original 1972 Alsons shower wand in my 1972 trailer.

It recently started leaking at the spray head. We do a lot of boondocking , no city water connection and the off pushbutton on the shower head is very nice to conserve water. I really like being able to quickly shut off water with one hand, not just turn to a trickle. Does anyone know of a replacement that will function the same, It sounds like the Oxygenics are very nice but "trickle" water, not shut off. It may sound small, but as my trailer has no grey tank when we boondock every cup of gray water has to be carried away by yours truly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	191128  
loechli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:49 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by loechli View Post
I have what I believe to be the original 1972 Alsons shower wand in my 1972 trailer.

It recently started leaking at the spray head. We do a lot of boondocking , no city water connection and the off pushbutton on the shower head is very nice to conserve water. I really like being able to quickly shut off water with one hand, not just turn to a trickle. Does anyone know of a replacement that will function the same, It sounds like the Oxygenics are very nice but "trickle" water, not shut off. It may sound small, but as my trailer has no grey tank when we boondock every cup of gray water has to be carried away by yours truly.
Go to the plumbing section at Home Depot or any other big box store (or Amozon.com) and get an inline 1/4 turn shutoff valve (see posts #2 and #8 for a link to Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ). Put one on mine and it works great.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:02 AM   #24
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I like the Oxygenic shower head but looks to be attached directly to the supply line. Our AS has the shower supply hose attached low down at the faucet controls and held in place by a small plastic hanger. What choices are available. The faucet is working well and I don't need to replace it.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Here is a link to the direct Airstream replacement. They sell them at Out-of-doors-mart...
Chrome Shower Head 601358-100 [601358-100] - $37.95 : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!
Old 07-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The problem I am having with shutting the shower all the way off causes really hot water to come out the next time it is operated especially using the pump. I expect a variable flow pump or accumulator would help with this problem. I expect this is caused by the air bubble in the hot water tank that keeps the pressure higher on the hot water side making the hot water flow faster than the cold water side when opening the shower head.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:59 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Saline , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Streamer View Post
Here is a link to the direct Airstream replacement. They sell them at Out-of-doors-mart...
Chrome Shower Head 601358-100 [601358-100] - $37.95 : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!

Thanks I saw that last night online,
Does anyone have this sprayer, does it shut off completely or trickle,
my original 1972 white shuts off completely and we really like that feature.

Steve
Old 07-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Saline , Michigan
I see the quarter turn option, but prefer the pushbutton show below

DANCO Shower On-Off Push-Button Flow Control-89184 at The Home Depot

What I would really like is a replacement to my "old outdated" 1972 alsons that has an integrated pushbutton shutoff that turns shower "off" not just a trickle, I know there are ways to do the job with additional 1/4 turn shutoffs, but it is sounding like that just might be a case of older is better.

I just got off the phone with Delta tech support, they bought Alsons several years back, I was told ALL there shower heads with shutoff do not "shutoff" just trickle.

Steve
Old 07-19-2013, 11:09 AM   #29

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
The problem I am having with shutting the shower all the way off causes really hot water to come out the next time it is operated especially using the pump. I expect a variable flow pump or accumulator would help with this problem. I expect this is caused by the air bubble in the hot water tank that keeps the pressure higher on the hot water side making the hot water flow faster than the cold water side when opening the shower head.

Perry
The flow may differ for various reasons downstream of the pump on the hot and cold sides, but the PRESSURE when the shutoff valve on the shower is closed is going to be equal through the entire system. You'd have to have 2 isolated systems with 2 pumps to have different pressure on the hot and cold sides.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:09 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by loechli View Post
Thanks I saw that last night online,
Does anyone have this sprayer, does it shut off completely or trickle,
my original 1972 white shuts off completely and we really like that feature.
It's a trickle. Why do I snicker when I say that
Old 07-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The pressure is the same when there is no flow but as soon as the shower head is opened the pressure in the cold water line drops lower than the hot water side because the hot water tank acts like an accumulator and keeps the pressure more constant. An accumulator down stream of the pump would reduce this. Once the pump starts running, the water temp stabilizes.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
The flow may differ for various reasons downstream of the pump on the hot and cold sides, but the PRESSURE when the shutoff valve on the shower is closed is going to be equal through the entire system. You'd have to have 2 isolated systems with 2 pumps to have different pressure on the hot and cold sides.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #32

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
The pressure is the same when there is no flow but as soon as the shower head is opened the pressure in the cold water line drops lower than the hot water side because the hot water tank acts like an accumulator and keeps the pressure more constant. An accumulator down stream of the pump would reduce this. Once the pump starts running, the water temp stabilizes.

Perry
I still think you're confusing pressure with flow. There's no backflow preventer between the water heater inlet and the cold lines, so any pressurization that might be provided by the air bubble in the water heater is going to push both directions equally (toward the inlet and outlet) and pressure measured in the hot and cold lines would be the same or so close the difference wouldn't be relevant.

For the system in question (and under any normal conditions) we can consider water to be an incompressible fluid so you'd have to have something that made the hot and cold lines 2 distinct systems to get a pressure difference between them.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Don't lecture me on fluid mechanics I have two degrees in it.

Perry
Old 07-19-2013, 11:43 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
I noticed no mention of the other variable: the heater for the tank is probably heating so the pressure in the tank will increase compared to the cold water static pressure...if there is a check valve. Otherwise, as noted, it would back-pressure and increase the entire system. However, in my moho, the tank is very close to the shower so there is may be more increase in this short feed. By observation, when I use the valve for zero flow, there is a brief "spurt" of hotter water, so I use the trickle valve.

I'm about to replace my OEM shower head with an Oxygenics. I had one of those in my house a few years ago & really liked it.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:22 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Whatever the cause, you can get scalded and that is not good. I have not used my shower much with an external water supply and I am sure that will help with this issue. The main issue with cutting the water all the way off is saving water when you don't have a sewer hookup. There is enough hot water but not enough gray tank to leave it running. The accumulator or variable flow pump or both should help with this. At low water flow the pump is turning on and off and the pressure is all over the place. Getting rid of the pulsation is the fix whatever the exact cause.

Perry
Old 07-20-2013, 07:32 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Perry

Scalding water would not be acceptable and I don't know why you have it. I have a low flow shower head, 1.5 gpm I believe, a constant speed pump, no accumulator, and a zero flow shutoff valve just upstream of the shower head handle, see photo. I get a small variation in water temperature when I turn the water on, but no big deal. It is definitely not a problem. The zero flow ball valve works so well that I use it alone to turn the water on and off. I keep the shower flow control valves open and adjust water flow/temperature as needed.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STA_0994.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	301.5 KB
ID:	191247  
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote