Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2009, 05:24 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Thompsons Station , Tennessee
Need help with toilet mounting

Folks, I need a little help.

I have a new Sealand toilet that I am trying to install in my '67 Caravel. In the photos below you can see the new black toilet flange that is screwed into the tank. The tank has a female tread, and the flange is a male. The flange sits on and is attached to a plywood spacer that sits atop the black tank. My single piece plastic bathroom enclosure sits on top of all of that. I have painted it red, but it is the original plastic.

You can see that I put some silicone sealant to try to close the gap between the plastic bathroom enclosure and the flange. After that dried, I used the foam ring that came with the toilet and put the toilet on and bolted down.

When I flush, I get water coming out the sides of the bottom of the toilet, and also it comes out the side of the bathroom from between the plywood spacer and the bathroom enclosure. What am I doing wrong? I didn't use any sealant on either side of the foam ring. Maybe the flange needs to be on top or flush with the red bathroom enclosure? Do I need to get rid of the foam ring and just run several beads of sealant around the flange?

I am scratching my head and not sure what to do...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	82257   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	82258  

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	82259   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	82260  

modarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:18 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
I think I may have figured it out- I think the toilet flange needs to be on top of the red bathroom plastic enclosure. I remember that the original one was on top. The new flange I bought was a shallow MPT flange, and there wasn't enough thread on the MPT to get it on top of the bathroom enclosure and still connect properly to the tank. So I will try a deep MPT flange, and follow Sealand's instructions on using the "floor seal" (the foam compressible seal) and using "glazing compound" as sealant between the flange and the floor seal.

Hopefully that will work unless anyone has any other suggestions...

Here is a photo of the original flange. It had a metal ring that went down before the flange was screwed in. I don't think I still have it, I hope I don't need it....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	82267  
Old 06-14-2009, 07:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Modarch, before you lock it down, check this thread here. There is a universal mounting kit that solves many mismatched flange problems. Hope this helps.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:38 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Thanks Sugarfoot. Looks like some good info there. I really don't need the universal kit, because mine is a two bolt, but it does have a shim ring that may help.

A few questions- what is "glazing compound" that Sealand references for sealant? Do you suggest a product?

Should the screws that are used to screw down the flange be sealed? It seems like water could seep through the foam seal and get into the screws...
Old 06-14-2009, 08:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Oooh boy, I'm not a good one for those answers. I had mine installed at an RV service center. A non-Airstream place so I had to do the universal kit research for them. I don't know what glazing product they used or if they sealed the screws, but I have no leaks. When I hear "glazing compound" I think window glazing compound, but that doesn't sound right either.

OK, the rest of you experts could chime in about now.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Sealand install

I just replaced my Thetford Bravura with a Dometic Sealand 511 low profile china toilet. I had to get the universal adapter kit also. Just thought I would post a few pictures of the install. I will have to buy a longer flexible line tomorrow because I was about 3 inches short on the water supply line.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sealandinstall 001.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	134911   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sealandinstall 005.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	134912  

Name:	Sealandinstall 006.jpg