Old 02-13-2011, 11:15 AM   #1
Aluminatic

1966 20' Globetrotter
Norwell , Massachusetts
Need help with bathroom removal - 66 Globetrotter

I've started the disassemble process with the 66 Globetrotter project. Trying to keep the exterior in tact until the weather breaks but want to get a jump on things. Bathroom is where I'm starting first.

This model has the one-piece rear bath with sink on left, shower middle and toilet right. I've gotten all the obvious rivets out of the lower bath. Also found the hidden ones under the sink.

Was able to get all of the mounting screws along the front of the shower off as well as getting the shower drain unhooked.

Everything is loose enough to wiggle except something hidden behind the toilet side.

It's either some hidden rivets behind the small black tank or the tank is strapped down (tank wiggles enough that I don't think it's that though).

My question is - how can I free this up? The cast iron flange for the toilet is in tact and I don't see a way to remove it without trashing the tank. I'd need to do that to get at any remaining rivets back there. Is there a trick to either removing that or to getting at whatever is still hanging on without dropping the belly? I really don't want to do that until Spring, but I do want to get this out.

If I'm not able to get it this weekend I'm going to have to resort to destruction of the lower bath next weekend. We're doing a custom interior rather than re-using it, but I thought I'd try to preserve it in case someone could use it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Trotterworx - Refurb of 66 Globetrotter BLOG -
http://trotterworx.blogspot.com/
TAC MA-7
wworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Your C.I. toilet flange will probable have a few screws going thru it,remove them then the flange should screw out,maybe with so difficulty.A simple tool can be made with a flat piece of steel ,drill two holes thru the steel,aligning with the holes in the flange,use 2 bolts thru the steel ,back up with bolts with nuts on them.You should now have a tool that will spin out the flange. Dave

Old 02-13-2011, 12:35 PM   #3
Aluminatic

1966 20' Globetrotter
Norwell , Massachusetts
Thanks, but in my case there are no screws in the toilet flange. There are spots for them, but they are unused. The black tank and flange move freely in the hole that's in the fiberglass surround. Looks like the flange was attached directly to the tank with some type of adhesive or something. All I can access feels like the cast flange - no plastic accessible to cut until I'm into the tank. Hmmmm.
TAC MA-7
Old 02-14-2011, 07:48 AM   #4
Aluminatic

1966 20' Globetrotter
Norwell , Massachusetts
Duh! - Somehow I missed that you were saying the flange itself screws out. It's stuck pretty well - I'll have to rig a jig as you suggest. Thanks.
TAC MA-7
Old 03-04-2011, 09:01 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Killingworth , Connecticut
You'll probably break the tank before you get that flange loose, I had teh same problem. resorted to cutting the flange after much frustration, my tan was shot anyhow so I replaced the tank with one from Icon in British Columbia Canada and Valterra parts from VTS.

Did you get all the rivets under the rear window? You seem to have all retaining items loose in the photos and the sealer cut away from the top part. The only other thing I can think of is your dump valve through the bottom of the trailer is holding you in place. more I think of your description the more I believe that is it. the penetratoin is a retangle cut for the dump valve to go through, look underneath if you have your belly pan off in that area.

PM me if you want to discuss further as we're doing a full body off right now on our 66 GT.
Rob
Old 03-04-2011, 04:19 PM   #6
Aluminatic

1966 20' Globetrotter
Norwell , Massachusetts
Thanks Rob. I did eventually get it. I had to cut the flange. Was able to do it in a way that I could've salvaged the tank, but I think it's far enough gone (and small enough) that I'll be happier with a slightly larger, new tank. Looking for a source now. I'll check the place you mentioned.

TAC MA-7