Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-06-2011, 01:01 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Salt Lake City , Utah
Need help changing out faucet

Hi everyone!
I am in dire need of airstream 101. I wanted to change out my single faucet in the kitchen area of my 75 overlander. Took the faucet off to realize that the copper tubing seems like it's all connected, and does not seem like there are any connections I can disattach without making a mess. Am I missing something is this an easier project than I think? It just seemed like I would have to destroy the copper tubing to be able to replace it. Sorry if this is a simple job. Just a newbie. Any advice greatly appreciated!

Lucy p
LucyPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Hi Lucy - I'm not sure what you are asking. Won't the new faucet go back in the same way the old one came out? A pic would be helpful.

Tim

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Hey Lucy P...

I think I have addressed this situation with my faucet: the copper tubing was a solid piece, soldered directly to the faucet.

There are a couple ways to do this but the easiest is to use a compression fitting (vs sweating on new fittings).

To use a compression fitting, you'll need to cut the existing copper tubing and remove the faucet. You can buy a small tube cutter for little $. Then install a compression fitting and you're ready to insall the new faucet. Newer faucets usually just have fittings in which you can screw on flexible tube lines (i.e. PEX, braided stainless, etc). So, you secure the flexible tubing to the faucet then secure the other end to the new compression fitting on the existing copper lines. CHECK FOR LEAKS!

Here's a little video explaining how to install compression fittings - easy peasy!
Compression Fitting

Laura

PS, I once had a very bad experience 3 yrs after installing a compression fitting to a copper tube... somehow it *sprung* a leak and flooded the house - a real mess. So, keep an eye on your plumbing!
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
also be aware that if the plumbing ever froze for any reason, the copper might be bloated throughout the system which makes adding any new type of fitting impossible on that old soft copper. I guess what I'm saying is don't do this change over a couple hours before a big road trip in the event you have to replace large amounts of copper pipe that have freeze damage in order to get to a section of pipe that is it's original diameter (yes I did this to myself, but the good news is our 69 is all 100% pex tubing)
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote